Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

*update* Newborn umbilical stump issues... any advice?

*UPDATE: it finally fell off. thanks mamas.

My son is just 9 days old. His stump is still on and it's getting irritated from his diapers. I have tried the newborn ones with the cut out. He has an incredibly small rise (distance from crotch to belly button), and even the newborn diapers with the cut out still totally cover his umbilical stump.

I've tried folding over the top. This causes 2 additional issues ... 1. he pees straight up the top of the diaper and soaks his clothes - EVERY TIME he pees. and 2. it is pretty tight on his thighs if I fold the top over.

I tried buying size 1 diapers, and still have the same issues with folding the top over.

I tried cutting a dip in the size 1 diapers - this fits him the very best (enough absorbency to catch all the pee, can cut it low enough to allow for the stump...) - but then the nasty gel junk inside the sposie gets all over him when he pees... which is far worse than pee, IMO.

Has anyone had this issue? Any ideas to fix it?

I know his stump will fall off soon enough, but I'd like to keep it from getting irritated. It looks pretty angry right now. That AND - I am getting pretty tuckered out changing his outfit every hour or two. And the worst is at night. I am POSITIVE he would sleep a bit longer stretches if he wasn't being woken up from being all soggy wet and cold. (and yes, I know newborns don't STTN, that's not what I mean at all.) Plus it just sucks fumbling around changing his outfit every couple of hours all night long.

Sorry this is rambl-y and long. Just need some ideas.

I finally gave up this morning around 4am and put him naked on a towel next to me in bed with a washcloth between his legs.

Advertisement

Last edited by Kiliki; 03-22-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Newborn umbilical stump issues... any advice?

Make sure to point the penis down with each change, that will help. Were you using newborn sposies? Or cloth?
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd snappi a washcloth on him and use a fleece cover...that way it's got a low rise and then the fleece is ok on his stump, it shouldn't irritate it at all. If you don't have any fleece covers, pm me and I can get one in the mail ffs today
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
Make sure to point the penis down with each change, that will help. Were you using newborn sposies? Or cloth?
Yes! Pointing the penis down will help, he won't be able to pee up and out.

You could also fold a cloth wipe into quarters and put that right at the penis for extra absorbency.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Always point the penis down. And maybe try diaper free with a prefold under him.

Congratulations on your new baby!

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ah, didn't know you had your baby!! Congrats

We had the same problem, DS2 had a SUPER short rise. Even lil joeys and similar diapers didn't fit under the cord, and we ran into the same problem with NB sized sposies. Have you tried preemie size sposies? My other suggestion would be to do NB prefolds and fold the front down. We only had 6 xs imagines, but those were a god send before the cord fell off.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can use medical tape after you cut the sposie. I had a friend who needed special diapering for a medical issue. Also, I may get boo'd for this but I would clean it really well w/ rubbing alcohol to dry it out and encourage drying. I have always been delicate about cleaning it but the kids pedi(an OD) cleaned Fionn's in the office and was much more vigorous and explained that it is not as fragile as I thought. I cleaned his pretty much every change and it fell off the next day at day 6.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

I'm using sposies. I have like 4 NB cloth diapers with the fold down part for the cord. They interfere just as badly as the sposies... actually worse b/c the fabric is thicker and the rubbing is worse.... I always used sposies on my kids till the stump fell off...

Also, I was trying to avoid saying this, but I can't point his penis down. This is my 2nd boy, so I did know that trick, but it won't work for him, unfortunately.... He has a penis issue that keeps it from staying down. It either points straight out, or up. Not down. It's impossible.

I don't think preemie diapers would help at all b/c the newborn ones are already getting too small around his belly, which makes taping then folding them even tighter on his poor little thighs. I think the preemies would just be worse.

I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle here. Oy vey.

Today I just have him on a towel, with a PF between his legs. Hoping the thing will dry out and not look so bad AND at least I can wash 100 billion towels instead of changing his clothes 800 times.

Did I mention my washing machine quit last night?

LOL. *sigh*

Last edited by Kiliki; 03-19-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather8183 View Post
I'd snappi a washcloth on him and use a fleece cover...that way it's got a low rise and then the fleece is ok on his stump, it shouldn't irritate it at all. If you don't have any fleece covers, pm me and I can get one in the mail ffs today
That is so super sweet of you, mama

I'm hoping it will fall off soon though! So I don't know if he'd still have this problem by the time I rcv'd it. Thanks so much, though! That is so very kind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarawithouth View Post
maybe try diaper free with a prefold under him.

Congratulations on your new baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
Ah, didn't know you had your baby!! Congrats
We're doing diaper free for now b/c I don't want it to get any worse.

Thanks mamas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
You can use medical tape after you cut the sposie. I had a friend who needed special diapering for a medical issue. Also, I may get boo'd for this but I would clean it really well w/ rubbing alcohol to dry it out and encourage drying. I have always been delicate about cleaning it but the kids pedi(an OD) cleaned Fionn's in the office and was much more vigorous and explained that it is not as fragile as I thought. I cleaned his pretty much every change and it fell off the next day at day 6.
I have been cleaning it 2-3 times a day w/alcohol. I prefer NOT to do that, but it is oozy and gross and I think it needs it... not necessarily to dry it out but to try to prevent any worse infection from setting in. It is mildly infected right now. Not to the point of me panicking yet, but if it gets any worse, I'll need to take him in for sure. Right now we are keeping it from getting worse by cleaning it a few times a day.

I'll try the medical tape, thanks!

Last edited by Kiliki; 03-19-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
Brandy1010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When you fold it down, are you folding it out or down towards the inside? I never used newborn size diapers. I used size 1 and folded into the diaper....never had an issue! And our cord didn't fall off for almost a month
Brandy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote