Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My ydd is almost 2.5. She has had a bump on her leg for a couple of months. Our family doc took a quick look(she was with dh for his appointment) and he said it was molluscum contagiosum. If any mamas are familiar can you take a look and tell me if

Advertisement

Happy to be again after a bit of a break

Last edited by eliz7; 05-14-2013 at 08:38 PM.
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Molluscum contagiosum

It doesn't look like my kids did.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know nothing about this but I googled to see what this was because I was curious. If you look at the google pics it appears that Molluscum contagiosum can look very different. Some are skin colored, some are red, some look like pimples, some look like wounds...so based on that I would say it is possible. Other than that I am no help. Hope you figure it out!

ETA: This CDC webpage has some great info on the infection and ways to prevent spreading it to others.

Last edited by TalkinBoutMyGirl; 03-19-2013 at 11:29 AM.
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
ericsmom99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son currently has about 8 of them and one sort of looks like that. Its more pink than red though. We're currently using some over the counter homeopathic oil to try to get rid of them since he wont leave them alone and keeps spreading them. Apparently they can be itchy.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It doesn't look like what my son had (that we finally got rid of after over a year of dealing with it) but it can look different. I know you live near me so it is in this area!

Good luck if it is that. My son had it on his face and it was AWFUL! I would have done anything for it to not be on his face. We tried almost everything to get rid of it. What finally worked for us was what they said not to do and that was to pop them then let them bleed till it stops then have that heal. That was the ONLY thing that worked for us.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
WVflipflopmama
Registered Users

My Mood:
My kids had this as well. For the most part it was in areas they couldn't reach and they were OK. My son had a few on his arms though that he picked at. They became infected and it was a mess. Our ped gave us an ointment that irritated them to make them pop and dry out. He did say that left alone they would go away after a year or so.
WVflipflopmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

my dd has had this a couple of times. her bumps were flesh colored, pink and red. some had white head looking things too. her's came up on her rear and private areas the first time. the second time it was mild on her inner thigh and some on her rear.
the first time i did what the dr said to do and put some prescription cream on them and just waited it out. it took nearly a year for them to go away. the second time i found out that pimple cream works on them. helps them go away faster. we also popped some of them and they went away within days.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks mamas. What's weird is she only has one. If its so contagious I feel like she would have more or one of the other kids would get it too?

I guess I will take her to a dermatologist just for a second opinion.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7 View Post
Thanks mamas. What's weird is she only has one. If its so contagious I feel like she would have more or one of the other kids would get it too?

I guess I will take her to a dermatologist just for a second opinion.
It isn't as contagious as they make it sound. If it were I KNOW I would have got it at the very least. Where my son's was, it was REALLY hard to avoid.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
Ala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My dd had this BAD last year. Lasted about six months. It was awful. Tried several topical treatments and they did not work. I "popped" a couple of them and they did go away sooner but you then risk spreading it to surrounding skin and is VERY traumatic for the LO. It sucks, but the best thing to do is nothing, they will get worse and will go away. Here is a pic of my dd with molloscum at it's worst

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1154996339.jpg
Views:	1872
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	137469

Was also on her bum cheeks
Ala is offline   Reply With Quote