Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Does anyone else have a child who NEVER shuts up?

I ADORE my son. He will be 5 in just a few weeks. And I love that he's so imaginative but seriously he will literally talk for HOURS non stop about his latest "invention" and he will talk sun up to sun down without taking a breath. is there any way to get him to be quiet without breaking his spirit?? Obviously I don't want him to always be quiet, but this incessant chatter is about to drive me bonkers. I need tips on dealing with a chatterbox!

Advertisement

theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:
Re: Does anyone else have a child who NEVER shuts up?

LOL, this reminds me of the "quiet" game. Whoever is quiet the longest wins ...
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

No tips here. But I can commiserate. My daughter (newly 5) is like this. She doesn't stop. She's also an arguer. She asks a question, if we tell her no, she goes straight into all the reasons it should be yes, so quickly you'd think it were a prepared statement. She just talks all.day long. Even in her sleep.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory
Even in her sleep.
Yes, this too. Even in his sleep. Maybe someone else will have some tips for us!!
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Malenkaya
Registered Users
seller

My daughter is like this. She will be 5 in May. You can tell her numerous times she needs to be quiet, it doesn't make any impact. I work from home in a setting that is supposed to be professional (people on the other end of the phone expect me to be in an actual office). She wants to say hi to anyone I'm on the phone with - which doesn't fly for work calls. And she talks to EVERYONE when we go out. Literally.

She also talks all the way through meals and when we are trying to watch a TV show. That doesn't bother me as much, but it drives DH up the wall.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son turns 6 in September and he doesn't stop talking, ever...he talks in his sleep too. He was a late talker and didn't say more than 3 or 4 words before he turned 2, but when he started talking it came out in full sentences and hasn't ceased.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

I totally sympathize...DD1 is non-stop from the moment she wakes up. We feel bad because we tell her to please just stop talking for five minutes ALL the time which never works. We're hoping DD2 will be a non-stop talker so they can entertain each other
Old 03-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
Kmomto2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes! My 6yo dd drives me NUTS! She talks and talks about nothing. I feel so bad ignoring her but I have to to keep my sanity some days. The quiet game doesn't work, she has figured that out and just says "I loose" and continues to chatter or sing. LOL, I guess one day I will wish that she would talk to me.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

My son will be 5 in May and NEVER shuts up. He has PDD NOs and did not even talk till he was over 2. He caught up! He does not sleep at night and talks all night too. At his school they use a chart. It has a talking voice, a whisper voice, and a no talk voice card. He velcros the appropriate voice to the card and has to follow it. At home we use a bean bag. If he has the bean bag he can talk, if not he has to be quite and not talk. It does not always work, but it is getting better.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAki
I totally sympathize...DD1 is non-stop from the moment she wakes up. We feel bad because we tell her to please just stop talking for five minutes ALL the time which never works. We're hoping DD2 will be a non-stop talker so they can entertain each other
Aside from the fact I have DSs, not DDs, this is totally us. DS1 runs a million miles an hour every waking moment. He also has habits of talking really loud or speaking with very broken speech with both drive me nuts. You can tell his brain is moving faster than his mouth and... he... starts... talk... ing... like... *look at my car!*... this.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote