Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If your 30+ lb child uses a car seat with 5-pt harness . . . .

great reminder!
DD is 43 lbs, in a Frontier, but it's belted in.
DS is 28 lbs, RFing in a Roundabout using the LATCH, and I honestly haven't even thought about the weight limits on his seat or anything. I need to start paying attention as he gets heavier! Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My car seat weighs more the 10 pounds. I better check mine. DD is 36 pounds. There would be no problem using the seat belt instead of the LATCH right? The it should go by the seat/seat belt weight limits correct?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosefall View Post
Honda has a 40 lb child weight limit for LATCH, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
So I would not be able to use the latch for a 38 pound child
No, you can use the LATCH for a 38 lb child in a Honda vehicle. The Honda certification is for a child up to 40lbs REGARDLESS of the weight of the carseat.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
My car seat weighs more the 10 pounds. I better check mine. DD is 36 pounds. There would be no problem using the seat belt instead of the LATCH right? The it should go by the seat/seat belt weight limits correct?
Yes, exactly. Vehicle seatbelts are certified to hold and restrain a lot of weight (according to the federal laws on seatbelts, they must fit/hold up to at least the weight of an adult man up to 97.5 kg, which is about 215 lbs - http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...px?reg=571.209 ) There is no reason the seatbelt can't be used to install a carseat for a child of any weight, even newborns. The LATCH system was not created to replace using the seatbelt for installing carseats, just to provide an option that might make it easier to install.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha-nanagins View Post
No, you can use the LATCH for a 38 lb child in a Honda vehicle. The Honda certification is for a child up to 40lbs REGARDLESS of the weight of the carseat.
OK thau. SO before 40 I need to belt it.

I will be weighing that kid daily! It just stinks I would move it right now but I am about to have baby soon so it is so difficult and draing to do it! I think I will just suck it up and move it tomorrow anyway. I knew I should have put ds1 in the belt seat and ds2 in the latch
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks! I saw this on Facebook and we did stop using the latch with my 3 year old since she goes with other people so often the seatbelt is easier to move the car seat.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh crappy....that's us. He is in the high 30lb range and we have a kia. I can't figure out what they mean exactly though with this brand car? Say's to go by child restraints guidelines or instructions etc. I suppose I will have to check the car manual to see if they give a weight limit for the latch.

Hmmm.....actually I need to weigh him to see how far away he is from the 40lbs exactly as that is when we switch from harness to seatbelt with this particular car seat.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Thank you. My son is now about 30lbs fully clothed we could add a couple pounds so 32lbs. We have the radian rxt which weighs in at 24lbs so in our dodge he would potentially have another 9lbs. Except we were considering a different vehicle. So I think we will stick with seatbelt instalation.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #19
7mom7
Registered Users

I didn't see any info for our vehicle. I'm not too into car seats so someone help me out with this....

We have a Hyundai Veracruz and I have 2 Sunshine Radian forward facing car seats that are latched in. I believe they go up to 65 pounds. DS1 is 46 pounds, DS2 is 29 pounds.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #20
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7
I didn't see any info for our vehicle. I'm not too into car seats so someone help me out with this....

We have a Hyundai Veracruz and I have 2 Sunshine Radian forward facing car seats that are latched in. I believe they go up to 65 pounds. DS1 is 46 pounds, DS2 is 29 pounds.
I can't look up your car right now but radians weigh 23/24 pounds so I would seatbelt install both kids. The older child definitely needs to be in a seatbelt install in most (if not all) cars.

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote