Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How long to keep carriers?

DH and I decided that we probably won't be having another baby for at least 2 years, if at all. DD is currently 2 and a half and no longer likes to be worn, though occasionally she'll sit in the SSC for old times sake. Should I sell my carriers? I'm not sure if the straps and buckles and things have a lifespan. I'm planning to destash the diapers once she's out of them, since those will probably be in rough shape in a couple of years. Do carriers wear out? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
squirrly
Registered Users

Re: How long to keep carriers?

The lifespan of webbing and buckles is primarily limited by use, so I don't think sitting unused for a couple of years will hurt them. That said, there will certainly be newer things out in a couple of years and older SSCs will have limited resale value, so you could certainly sell these and find something when the right time comes. I don't think you need to do so for safety's sake, though.

Fabric ages whether it's being used or not, just by virtue of exposure to air and humidity, but two years shouldn't be enough to render it obsolete or dangerous. With proper care, even with frequent use, I would expect your carriers to be safe to use for 8 to 10 years, or more.
squirrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
jerri
Registered Users

The carrier I use daily is over 10 years old. Ergo It was used pretty rigorously for many years by many babies. It certainly looks worn and has started to break and tear in some places. I realize this will be a safety factor and will destroy it when we are done with it. I think your carrier will be perfectly fine in 2 years. I totally agree with you about the diapers. We've had new diapers for every baby, I don't see the point in storing anything with elastic.

A 2/02, K 1/05, T 4/07, F 4/09, L 12/11 and...expecting in May 2014
jerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
sweetDD
Registered Users

My Mood:

It will depend on you,.. How much do you like the carrier? Newer design will surely pop-up after 2 years and it would surely cost more.. If you don't super love the carrier you have now and hidden it, it is also possible that you might not be able to use it on that time. However, if your the type of people that values their old things(such as me) I might not sell it too, though If I will have another baby I think she /he will deserve a new carrier of his/her own... sorry I think I confuse you more..
sweetDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

I think they'd be perfectly safe, as long as they aren't exposed to extreme conditions while in storage. That said, I know myself and I know I would want something new for the new baby, and I would get more money by selling my carriers now than I would waiting two+ years. So, I would sell, not worry about storing stuff I may or may not use in the future, and use the money for something I can use now.