Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
brandyleigh
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need a rec for a toddler carrier for a kid in the 95th+ percentile...

I would recommend the ergo.

Advertisement

brandyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBusyBearcubs View Post
You might want to take a look at this site: http://www.theportablebaby.com/carrierfeatures.html
She has a chart that lists all (like ALL) of the pros & cons of some on the more popular baby & toddler carriers. This chart helped us decide on a Boba, and we LOVED it!
Here is her FB page, where you can ask about specific carriers: https://www.facebook.com/theportablebaby?fref=ts

Important things to look for: Their legs should be at a 90 degree angle and their back should be fully supported. Any carrier that is going to support a large child (older infant or toddler) should buckle AT YOUR HIPS (not your waist) in order to properly distribute your child's weight without putting too much pressure on your back or shoulders. Your child should be worn high (like at the level of your ribs, not your waist), whether front carry or back carry, or you & they will not be properly supported.
The Boba had all of this, as well as a bunch of nice features (like foot supports and comfort straps). My physical therapist confirmed a lot of the advice that I listed above, fyi. Try it on ahead of time, and put your child in it. If it feels at all unstable or you feel like you must support your child with your hand while they are in the carrier, then it is not a good one.
Good luck, mama!
Oh my word, Great info! Thanks.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
jlsquire0324
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_Phen

Oh my word, Great info! Thanks.
Fantastic chart! Thank you!!
jlsquire0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
WildWestMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Great info! My guy is also big in the 98% for his age. To carry him around for very long is exhausting! I need something for this summer so thank you OP for this post.
WildWestMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

I will also add that my children are both 97th percentile and above for height, and proportionate to that as far as weight goes, so I totally understand about carrying a heavy kiddo!
Keep in mind that your body has limits as far as what it can carry, and for how long, especially in a culture where it isn't the norm. You might find the most awesome, ergonomically designed, comfy option that feels GREAT! ...but even the best ones won't prevent your body from getting tired after a while. It helps to have a carrier that will fit other people in your family as well as yourself. That way, if you start to slump or get uncomfortable, you can trade off.
...Also if it starts to hurt in any way, take the thing off. As much as we enjoy the closeness and convenience of wearing our little ones, most of us are better parents when we aren't in pain.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote