Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
serenas_song
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
16 mo keeps waking up 30-40 min into naps...help!

wondering if someone here has experienced this or has any suggestions!

My 16 month old DD has never been a consistent napper, but is now consistently sleeping 1.5-2 hrs around 1:30pm. She has always slept in her crib, no co-sleeping. She still nurses to sleep both for nighttime and naps. I'd like to move away from that too, but I'm more annoyed that she almost always wakes up 30-40 minutes into her nap. This has been going on for at least 6 months, and I'm just tired of it. I used to be able to pick her up and bounce her back to sleep, but for the last few weeks I've had to nurse her back to sleep, which I find exceptionally irritating. Any suggestions on getting her to sleep straight through a nap? I need to be able to be productive around the house while she sleeps. I've tried camping out in her room for a week and trying to pat her back to sleep when she just starts to stir (suggestion from No Cry Sleep Solution book), but that has only worked a couple times. I've just been hoping she would outgrow this, but she's just not....

Oh, and I forgot to mention. She is, and always has been, a very good night sleeper when she's healthy. A typical night is 9:30-7ish, in her crib, with no wake-ups. A "really bad" night when she's really sick is 2 wake ups...I'm spoiled in that way, but thats why this whole nap waking issue is so puzzling to me!

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
serenas_song
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 16 mo keeps waking up 30-40 min into naps...help!

anyone?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I don't remember off the top of my head, have you looked up if her nights plus 30-40 minute nap is within the "average" amount of sleep for her age? 1 nap or 2?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #4
serenas_song
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She sleeps on average, about 10 hrs at night, and then usually just one afternoon nap, unless she's sick or got up very early, then she sometimes goes to sleep in the morning. She definitely needs that nap to be 1.5-2 hrs long. When she wakes up, she's very upset because she wants to still be sleeping, but isn't.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

The funny thing I find is too tired and they don't sleep well same with not tired enough...

I would try laying her down earlier for a few days.

Also is her room dark? Some heavy curtains or something may help.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using DS Forum
Old 03-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Are you following that book, the no cry sleep solution? If so her bedtimes way to late, I'd put her to bed way sooner7-8, I believe they state that 8 is latest bedtime for up to 10y/o?

Also for naps you have to leave her in the crib the whole nap time, however long that should be, based on the book. Is she eating well prior to nap? I guess I'd try and meet all of her needs (follow the book) and let her in the crib for a few days during nap, she should figure it out.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Mommax4
Are you following that book, the no cry sleep solution? If so her bedtimes way to late, I'd put her to bed way sooner7-8, I believe they state that 8 is latest bedtime for up to 10y/o?

Also for naps you have to leave her in the crib the whole nap time, however long that should be, based on the book. Is she eating well prior to nap? I guess I'd try and meet all of her needs (follow the book) and let her in the crib for a few days during nap, she should figure it out.
I had that book but never actually read it because I have good sleepers and mappers but I agree with all of this. Maybe we just naturally follow the no cry sleep solution way? Anyways, bed at our house is 7:30 even for the 7 year old. By 12 months all 3 kids were at a 7:30 bed time.
We get up at 7:30 am and my 20 month old still takes 3 naps a day (she is serious about her sleep)
She naps from 9:30 to 11am, then 12:30 to 2:30-3pm, then 4:30 to 5:30pm

My other kids took 2 naps at this age but YDD is sticking firm with 3 naps. I tried ti cut one out last week and it was terrible.

Anyways, once I lay them down for nap they usually all took 2-3 hour afternoon naps but every once in awhile they would do what your LO is doing and wake up at about 40 minutes in. At a year old I would just let them play in their crib or whatever and they 99% of the time would go back to sleep. If they started crying and it lasted more than a minute I would try the patting the back but it usually wasn't needed. Then if they didn't fall back to sleep but were content and not crying I would leave them in their crib for the duration of normal naptime. It worked for us and we don't do CIO.

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

My daughter does this but I found if I wait for 5 or 10 mins she goes back to sleep. However I did do the ferber method of sleep training with her when she was younger so whenever it's sleep time I lay her down awake and she goes to sleep on her own, rarely fusses about it. I don't have a problem with her crying for a bit. Do you use a white noise machine? Perhaps household noises are waking her up.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
serenas_song
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks everyone. I haven't read the book cover-to-cover yet, just read some parts and skimmed others. It definitely sounds like she should be going to bed earlier. I've tried and had a hard time getting her down sooner, but I'll keep trying. I also get afraid that if she goes to bed earlier for the night, she'll be up a lot earlier, which I don't want.

She has blackout curtains in her room, and always sleeps with white noise on, although our house is usually very quite, especially at naptime when its just the 2 of us in the house.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I dunno.. my kiddo has done this off and on for 2 yrs. She was doing it again 2 weeks ago and I was starting to freak out a bit because I cannot have her doing it when I'm with the new baby.

but she stopped again.

I don't know what the solution is.. I usually just go, cuddle and lay her down. Sometimes that works great, other times she needs me to be more firm with her that it's naptime. When she was younger, the second half of her nap ended up on mom in the rocker because she would not let me put her back down.

I just rolled with it, grimaced and it always stopped after a little while.