Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Fat baby with chafing

I don't know what to do. I have a fat baby who chafes a lot. It's gotten worse just in the past few days, hours literally. She has red, raw areas behind her knees, and rolls behind her thighs that are red. Her neck is red, and the roll on her shoulder is red. The fold above her ear, where it attaches to her scalp, is red and raw. Her armpits are red and raw. As soon as I get one area cleaned up another gets red. I make sure she's dry after her baths. I wipe out her armpits at least once daily, with a wipe, just to make sure I got all the dead skin and debris out. I treat the pinkish areas with Vitamin E and lavendar EO, or neosporin if it looks particularly bad. I wipe her down when she starts getting pink in her folds. But just today it seems every fold she has just got immediately red. Is there something in particular that can cause such a sudden attack of that, and is there anything I can start doing? Talc powder? Diaper cream? Wiping her down more than 2-3x times?

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
mamaspice
Registered Users

Sorry that you are dealing with this. Olive and coconut oil worked well for us. I would avoid the lavender eo as some babies are sensitive to it.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Ok. It's fairly well dilute when I use it but I'll cut out out altogether. My home made diaper rash cream is coconut oil, Shea butter, and beeswax. I use that in those areas as well when I notice it start to get irritated. I wipe them out with a wipe, dry them, then use the vitamin E mixed into a palmful of the lotion. she's just never had so many red areas pop up so quickly. All yesterday and today I was treating with neospori. Especially he ears, they were getting stuck to her head with dried yellow pus.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fat baby with chafing

as the previous mama said, try avoiding scents/chemicals for a while, including wipes which can cause irritation in some babies. just use water on a soft cloth to wipe her don and a dry soft cloth to pat her dry. talc-free baby powder in the worst creases once she's dry would be all i'd try for a while, give it a couple weeks to really see if it works and if not try something else, but just try 1 thhing at a time for a couple weeks until you find out hat works, so you can be sure and isolate which things she's sensitive to.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

maybe see a dermatologist if it persists this badly
Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
My grandma would cover us with corn starch. Try sween cream. For dry irritated skin. Or acid mantle for dry scaly skin & ph balancer
Old 03-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
The wipes I use are just a squirt of Dr Bronners and a squirt of almond oil to moisturize, diluted in water. Thanks for some suggestions, hope I can clear her up
Old 03-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son was a major fatty, too. He always did the best with daily baths - I'd only use soap on his butt and neck every day, the rest was soaped every 3 or so days. Then I'd dry him off and slather his rolls in coconut oil or some other light oil and his skin stayed beautiful and irritation free. I think the oil helped protect his skin against wetness from nursing, drooling, etc. I wouldn't use any powders, it seems like they'd accumulate in the folds and cause more gunk/irritation.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisu View Post
My son was a major fatty, too. He always did the best with daily baths - I'd only use soap on his butt and neck every day, the rest was soaped every 3 or so days. Then I'd dry him off and slather his rolls in coconut oil or some other light oil and his skin stayed beautiful and irritation free. I think the oil helped protect his skin against wetness from nursing, drooling, etc. I wouldn't use any powders, it seems like they'd accumulate in the folds and cause more gunk/irritation.
I wasn't sure about powders either but that makes sense. I'll try using more of my lotion on her All over, more consistently. Usually her creases clear up pretty fast so I'm hoping BG t tomorrow they'll look much better. Just unusual that they all appeared at once so quickly. She hasn't started solids. My diet hasn't changed much. Maybe the warmer weather? I even did some naked time today to dry her legs out so they wouldn't be so moist in the folds. I'll just keep trying to keep her clean and dry, but moisturized.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I had a chubbo too. Daily baths with water only and lots of cornstarch seemed to be the best for her.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote