Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
ralenth
Registered Users

Apraxia parents

I have a 4th grader who has had an IEP since kindergarten for apraxia - speech and fine motor/OT. The OT was dropped 2 years ago, and he's just been getting speech. His last 3 year review was 2 years ago, also and he was moved to a new speech pathologist that is amazing, and he really has made huge amounts of progress. She now thinks she's going to have trouble justifying his IEP because his speech no longer impacts him academically. I am so scared that he's going to regress without speec therapyh... He's had it for the last 5 years, and it has been amazing for him. I don't know if this is a vent or if I am looking for advice. We have his annual meeting on Thursday and I know this is going to come up. I guess it's just scary to let go of this crutch we've had. His therapist thinks that the apraxia will qualify him for a 504 (for aspergers) but I have a child on a 504 and have found it to be useless. I have a 1st grader also with apraxia, so I know we will be crossing this same bridge with her in a year or two.

Advertisement

ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

The problem with school services is they have to have academic impact. With a diagnosis of Apraxia you may be able to continue speech through private therapy covered by insurance.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
ralenth
Registered Users

Re: Apraxia parents

Except that it does have an academic impact. If he regresses (as he has every summer he hasn't had services), teachers won't be able to understand him. If you can not understand him, you can not possibly know what he is learning. It was a year and a half ago that I was volunteering in his classroom during fluency, and not one of the kids in there could understand him. He has progressed tremendously since then... But it was not that long ago.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I would definitely bring up the regression at his meeting. Each state and sometimes district gets to define what "academic impact" means. Hope it goes well!!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote