Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #21
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Repeated vaginal bleeding in 6 year old

I'm sorry. I hope you find answers soon.

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #22
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

My DD had vaginal bleeding when she was around 7ish. I freaked out, thought it was a hormonal imbalance due to the hormones in food, products, etc. Turned out it was actually an auto immune skin disorder that presents itself in the vaginal area. We found that out after seeing a pediatric gynecologist and having a biopsy done. She's now on steroidal creams and hasn't had an issue since (she's now 10). However in her case, while the skin wasn't raw, it was very pale which led the dr to do the biopsy
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #23
bama
Registered Users
seller

I tore my hymen at that age when I fell on the monkey bars at school. Is it possible she's doing something like that? Causing adhesions to tear or something?
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #24
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Update:
I took her to see the doctor today. She checked her urine and there was blood and bacteria present, so she prescribed antiobiotics (Ceftin) for possible UTI. She wants to recheck her urine in two weeks and see if there is still blood present. She also wants me to be vigilant to any more blood in the underwear between now and the appointment.

Basically we don't really know for sure where the blood is coming from (vaginal or urethra). Depending on what happens in the next 2 weeks and how the urine test goes, we will be referred to an endocrinologist & possibly a gynecologist or have a kidney ultrasound done.

I think it's safe to say it's not a functional gynecological problem since she's had a pelvic exam & ultrasound done which found no abnormalities.

And I think it's doubtful to be a problem with her kidneys since she has no other symptoms that are typical for that....but who knows? She has had a few UTI's in the past...but I can't recall how many. She's actually had more ear infections than anything. So much so that the doctor said last time (in Dec) that if she had another in the next 6 months, then she would refer her to an ear, nose, & throat doctor to have her tubes checked.

I also think it's doubtful that she is having precocious puberty since she has no other signs of puberty (pubic hair or breast development) and the blood is in small amounts for less than 1 day at a time. The very first time it occurred she had fresh blood that was about the size of a quarter on her underwear in addition to that on her skin. Each time since then it has been a few drops on underwear that are slightly less than a dime in size.

I'm still thinking it is hormonal, something causing her body to shed small amounts of endometrium cells.... Crossing my fingers that we get some answers soon. I hate having to wait 2 more weeks.
Gwendolyn (6-30-15)
amberdawn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #25
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

This was probably answered by you saying they examined her thoroughly - but did they suspect or examine her for any evidence of sexual abuse? It doesn't seem super likely from what you are describing, but that's the first thing that came to mind for me (sadly), and would be my first suspicion. But I think there would be very obvious tissue damage if that were the explanation for the bleeding. :-/

I have heard that girls are getting their periods earlier and earlier. Maybe her body is trying to warm up for puberty but just can't "make the leap" because she is still so young?
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #26
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No, no signs of trauma were found, thank God! We've had a few talks about privacy and body ownership since all this started and she's denied any abuse. She says no one has touched her private areas but will quickly point out that so and so pushed her shoulder at school or so and so tickled her.
Gwendolyn (6-30-15)
amberdawn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #27
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Does she drink conventional milk? The kind that would have rBGH? I don't remember all of the details, but I knew a family whose daughter was super sensitive and once they took her off milk from cows with hormones, she stopped showing signs of her troubles.