Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #31
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: who has had 4+ c-sections?

I will be having my 5th c/s this summer. I had a c/s in 2007,2008,2009, & 2011 and was given the ok by doc to have more. There is no "rule" that anyone has every told me about the number of c/s allowed. Our hossy doesn't have a policy of a specific number. It's all up to "me" first and foremost, and what my doc. thinks after each c/s secondly. Some women can go on to have lots of c/s with a green light from their docs. either due to their health or a great doc. that doesn't mind not fitting into a this stereotype box or both. Some women aren't advised to due to their health or possibly doc. is just giving a personal opinion that isn't backed up by medical reasons at all :/

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #32
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We r trying for our 4th, which would also be our 4th section. My doctor says she cannot "recommend either way, but my risks will be much higher." I am very scared for something to happen to me since I already have 3 kids who need me, and scared to lose the baby, we mc'd earlier this year. This thread is very inspiring to hear how many women have had 4 or more and are doing well.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #33
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

My MIL had five C-sections, the first one in 1983, the last one in 2004.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #34
boogamama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had 4 c-sections ('07, '09, '11, '12), and was encouraged to not have another pregnancy based on the thinning of my uterus. However, when I saw my dr. at my 6 week check up, she said they would just make sure to watch my pregnancy closely in the event that I did end up with a fifth pregnancy, then requiring a fifth c-section.

Last edited by boogamama; 05-10-2013 at 10:31 PM.
boogamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #35
daniele_ut
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had 4 c-sections and I'm one of the unlucky ones who suffered life threatening complications that were directly related to the previous c-sections. With my last baby I developed complete placenta previa and placenta increta. I was watched very closely during my pregnancy, was put on lifting and exercise restrictions and then spent 3 weeks on bedrest until I delivered at 36 weeks. 34 weeks is often recommended in accreta/increta/percreta cases but I hadn't had any bleeding. I had a c-section/hysterectomy under general anesthesia to try to prevent a hemorrhage. I was very, very lucky and didn't end up in the ICU after my delivery. DS spent 3 weeks in the NICU due to issues related to his prematurity.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, I just feel like people need to know the risks are real and it isn't just the risk of uterine rupture. In a 4th pregnancy after 3 c-sections the risk of Placenta accreta in the presence of placenta previa is as high as 70%. Placenta accreta is scary, really scary and it is becomeing much more common in this country now that so many more women aren't allowed to VBAC. I was lucky that I had no long term complications, but a hysterectomy at 39 was not something I ever wanted. The recovery was hard physically, but even more so emotionally for me.
daniele_ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #36
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniele_ut View Post
I had 4 c-sections and I'm one of the unlucky ones who suffered life threatening complications that were directly related to the previous c-sections. With my last baby I developed complete placenta previa and placenta increta. I was watched very closely during my pregnancy, was put on lifting and exercise restrictions and then spent 3 weeks on bedrest until I delivered at 36 weeks. 34 weeks is often recommended in accreta/increta/percreta cases but I hadn't had any bleeding. I had a c-section/hysterectomy under general anesthesia to try to prevent a hemorrhage. I was very, very lucky and didn't end up in the ICU after my delivery. DS spent 3 weeks in the NICU due to issues related to his prematurity.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, I just feel like people need to know the risks are real and it isn't just the risk of uterine rupture. In a 4th pregnancy after 3 c-sections the risk of Placenta accreta in the presence of placenta previa is as high as 70%. Placenta accreta is scary, really scary and it is becomeing much more common in this country now that so many more women aren't allowed to VBAC. I was lucky that I had no long term complications, but a hysterectomy at 39 was not something I ever wanted. The recovery was hard physically, but even more so emotionally for me.
May I ask when they knew you had placenta accreta and previa?

Your story (the risks) is what makes me rethink a 5th baby (4th c/s)... it's so nerve-wracking cause you just don't know until you are pregnant what will happen. So glad to hear you are okay now!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #37
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

I have had 5 C/Ss. My last was just this past March. I did have a window at this delivery and a small adhesion of the bladder, but the time in the OR was still minimal due to not having much scar tissue. No complications with the recovery even with a 2 year old to chase around as well.

My OB did not advise that we could not have more children. I think C-S births are like vaginal births. Not only is each woman different but each pregnancy and delivery is different. I trust my OB and if he ever says it is a high risk situation, we will likely do a permanent form of BC.
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #38
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just had my 6th c-section in January. My surgery with him was probably one of the best I have had. The dr did take his time and it was very relaxed, I know he was cutting slow and I figured to prevent anything happening.
He knows I might not be done. At my pp appt he went over the risks and said if we get pg again, he will of course be there to get me through it. He has never told me I was high risk though. We haven't decided if we are done yet. I go back and forth, mostly worry about the risks makes me think no but we will decide in a couple of years. I have a great dr who has delivered my last 3 babies. If there were issues with my uterus he would ahve told me so. I want it to be our choice when we stop not because of something someone tells us. But the risks do scare me
http://deals.mamapedia.com/?ref_id=3...ontent=hotmail
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #39
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

I just had my 8th C-Section this February. First was in Feb of 2005, last was Feb of 2013, so 8 sections in 8 years.

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #40
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBananas View Post
I just had my 8th C-Section this February. First was in Feb of 2005, last was Feb of 2013, so 8 sections in 8 years.
That's awesome! I have never met anyone who had more than me.
http://deals.mamapedia.com/?ref_id=3...ontent=hotmail
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote