Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Antibiotic Induced Nausea.

Could anyone tell me ways to get rid of or at least minimize antibiotic induced nausea? I'm trying to take probiotics but I can't eat yoghurt since I still have a cold and therefore a lot of mucous. I've been on the antibiotics (for an ear infection) since Sunday and the last few days the nausea has been getting worse, to the point where I don't want to eat. I have to take the pills until Sunday, so I can suck it up but it would be nice to try something until then. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Antibiotic Induced Nausea.

I have to eat something bread-like or starchy at least 15 mins before taking antibiotics or I get really nauseated. That helps temper it. Are you drinking enough water?

It's likely that the ear infection is throwing off your equilibrium a bit as well, which is itself nauseating you, and it's not only the abx.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is it Augmentin? I started that on Sunday for strep throat and double ear infections and I just couldn't take it anymore! Thankfully I was able to get a Rx for a z-pack and am feeling much better!
I also am taking probiotics, eating yogurt, and bananas- still felt terrible until I got off the Augmentin.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
I have to eat something bread-like or starchy at least 15 mins before taking antibiotics or I get really nauseated. That helps temper it. Are you drinking enough water?

It's likely that the ear infection is throwing off your equilibrium a bit as well, which is itself nauseating you, and it's not only the abx.
I think I'm drinking enough water, since I have a bit of a cough and drinking water usually relieves the itchy throat feeling. I also find bread is one of the only things that sort of appeals to me, so I guess I'll keep that up. You're probably right about the ear infection throwing me off a bit, my ear is still plugged and a little muffled so its not gone yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boys1girlforme View Post
Is it Augmentin? I started that on Sunday for strep throat and double ear infections and I just couldn't take it anymore! Thankfully I was able to get a Rx for a z-pack and am feeling much better!
I also am taking probiotics, eating yogurt, and bananas- still felt terrible until I got off the Augmentin.
I'm taking Amoxcillin, so I'm not sure how strong that is. You poor thing, strep and a double ear infection, that must be rough! Ya I think its looking like I may just have to suck it up until I'm off these pills. Ugh...
Old 03-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I have an upset stomach all I can manage to eat is toasted english muffins lightly buttered.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote