Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
CrunchyChelle
Registered Users

New mom of twins and trying to find time to exercise

I am a new mom of twins born in late January and I have so much weight to lose - if I am honest with myself - 80lbs. I just am struggling with finding the time since I am so exhausted from being home with the girls all day and up a good portion of the night.

My friends are telling me that things are just survival mode right now (my twins are 10 weeks old - 5 weeks adjusted age) and I definitely know that's true but at the same time I am getting depressed over the lack of exercise/losing weight. Infertility meds made me gain so much over the years and with the nice weather coming up I really would like to lose at least a little before it gets really nice outside so I feel better about myself.

Am I being totally unrealistic? To be honest, I don't really know when it would happen, but I'm starting to get depressed about it.

Advertisement

CrunchyChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: New mom of twins and trying to find time to exercise

Yes. You are in SURVIVAL mode. At ten weeks, you cannot expect more than scoring a shower and remembering to brush your teeth.

Shoot for taking nice walks with the babies. Do you have a double stroller? Put the babies in and go for a walk.

Here's the big secret: Nine months up, nine months down. NOT nine months up, down ten weeks.

Give yourself a break. It's enough to have to keep two babies alive. Don't pile on the pressure.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes you are in survival mode!!! I don't have twins and just one baby kept me in survival mode for at least 6 weeks each time. I agree with pp, if you can get out for walks with the babies then do it. If not then just try to make good food choices. Eating is a huge part of the equation, so maybe just start there and then when things settle down more you can start doing a little bit at a time. There are things like 10 minute trainer videos (tony horton who did p90x made them) you could do 10 min videos until you can add more and have more time. Something to think about.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went back to work at 6 weeks pp and it caused a lot of stress for me. I had my DD and I hung onto that weight and still am. Give yourself time, and I agree, aim for taking walks with a double stroller, or getting someone to watch them while you jog for half an hour or so. I do agree that being active will help you feel better, though. If you still can't fit in exercise, try to eat healthier in the meantime.

I would also seriously discuss PPD with your doctor. (((hugs)))

Congrats on the twins!
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The weather is getting nicer, maybe you can try to just take the kids for a walk every couple of days? I remember my survival mode required getting out of the house and being active, so if you have the urge to do so I'd go with it.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to add that when my 3rd baby was born I started out exercising by walking laps around my backyard at naptime. I had the baby monitor by the backdoor so I could hear if she was up. I did couch 2 5k like this. Certainly not ideal but it got me moving. I started out having 80 lbs to lose, so far I've lost 60 of it but that has taken me 2 years. But I'm sure you will move much faster than me
Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
CrunchyChelle
Registered Users

Thank you all, I really appreciate it. Sorry for not replying sooner. I definitely need to get out for a walk every few days at least - I think it'll make me feel better.
CrunchyChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Elia
Registered Users
seller

Hi there,

My twins are 4 years old. When they were born (March 24) I hit survival mode. I think I tend to find that even though I was not working out during the first 6 months, i was dropping more weight than I realized. I did not breast feed, but just getting through the day burns a lot of calories. And then once it started getting nice out, I would take walks with them to get back into the swing of things. And then, once you get a routine, 6 months or so, reaccess and see if you can find time to get away to work out. Hang in there, it is a process. At 4, I think they are more a work out than any workout I could get! And most of all, enjoy those little babies. There is something really special about twins!
Elia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad View Post
Yes. You are in SURVIVAL mode. At ten weeks, you cannot expect more than scoring a shower and remembering to brush your teeth.

Shoot for taking nice walks with the babies. Do you have a double stroller? Put the babies in and go for a walk.

Here's the big secret: Nine months up, nine months down. NOT nine months up, down ten weeks.

Give yourself a break. It's enough to have to keep two babies alive. Don't pile on the pressure.
This is exactly true. It took me close to a year to get back to Pre preg weight. With twins, give yourself two years.

I find that the summer helped a lot with weight loss. You feel like being outside. Take the girls for a walk and put one in a carrier. Every 5 minutes do a couple of squats. Also the time outside will def help them sleep better!