Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Has anyone successfully converted reg jeans to maternity jeans?

Well, I took one of my old belly band, and my old faded jeans and gave it a shot. And I think it was a success. I'm not thrilled with the way the panel went on all the way around - in some spots it's stretched a little tighter than in others, and there are a couple wrinkles, but that's just my fault. I removed the zipper, and sewed the fly shut a couple inches up, and then cut the rest of the front waistband away, saving the pockets. Sewed across the cut part to keep it stable, and then pinned the belly band on. Sewed that down, and then added my wide elastic along the bottom of the belly panel, to keep the pants snug under my belly and around my hips. (I think that's why my other maternity pants never stay up!) Been wearing the pants all evening and they feel great, and I haven't had to hike them up once yet. I'm not entirely thrilled with the look of the panel where it's attached to the pants, as I said, so there's room for improvement, but I think I'll give it another shot with one of my newer pairs. I know where I can get more regular jeans for after the baby is born, but I can't find good maternity pants anywhere, so it'll be worth it.
I loosely followed this tutorial, if you're curious. http://sewchic.blogspot.ca/2008/08/t...eans-into.html

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I made a pair this last pregnancy and they worked pretty well, I was happy with the way they turned out and they stayed up at least.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
MBRA518
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've done three pairs so far and am rather pleased with them. Something to consider if you have mat jeans that you hate - you can grab the elastic/bands from those. Depending on why they don't work you may have to rework it a bit. I did that with one pair of mine, just cut off the band and reused it - I hated the jeans because they looked terrible, but they fit fine from the comfort POV.

My learning curve was to cut the crotch rise down enough - I didn’t on the first pair and they are a bit diggy when I sit for a while... haven't gotten around to fixing those yet.

I just seam ripped off the belt loops and just cut the waist band off, I removed the zipper (again just cut it out) and sewed the zipper flap closed. I cut the crotch rise down a lot and just scooped it up so that I didn’t bother the pockets, you will probably have to tack the pocket together so they sit right as you sew. I have a serger – so I just serged the elastic to the top and done.

I just used jeans that were getting old or didn’t fit perfectly anyway, I have a problem with waist bands gapping at the back so the rest of the jeans fit, and once the waist it elastic they are perfect Mat jeans. Now I just need to make some shirts.

We are a CDing (PL'd now), BWing, BFing (done at 2), ERFing, BLW family
Challenging myself to make all DD's clothes - and a few for myself too
MBRA518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
nicolehedges
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~ View Post
Well, I took one of my old belly band, and my old faded jeans and gave it a shot. And I think it was a success. I'm not thrilled with the way the panel went on all the way around - in some spots it's stretched a little tighter than in others, and there are a couple wrinkles, but that's just my fault. I removed the zipper, and sewed the fly shut a couple inches up, and then cut the rest of the front waistband away, saving the pockets. Sewed across the cut part to keep it stable, and then pinned the belly band on. Sewed that down, and then added my wide elastic along the bottom of the belly panel, to keep the pants snug under my belly and around my hips. (I think that's why my other maternity pants never stay up!) Been wearing the pants all evening and they feel great, and I haven't had to hike them up once yet. I'm not entirely thrilled with the look of the panel where it's attached to the pants, as I said, so there's room for improvement, but I think I'll give it another shot with one of my newer pairs. I know where I can get more regular jeans for after the baby is born, but I can't find good maternity pants anywhere, so it'll be worth it.
I loosely followed this tutorial, if you're curious. http://sewchic.blogspot.ca/2008/08/t...eans-into.html
I was just coming on to ask this. I found the same tutorial and wondered how it would work......my problem is that I have some expensive maternity jeans I bought for cheap and the full panel is way stretched out and falling apart so I plan to replace it. I woud love to hear how these are holding up for you thus far! Did you add in the wide elastic?? I wonder if that woud help or be uncomfortable.....thanks!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did add in the wide elastic, but not at the top. I did it around the hip/under the belly. I feel like that's where my pants are always loose and sagging. They fit nice and snug, are pretty comfortable, and stay up better than any other maternity pants I've got. They're holding up well so far, but I do have to say that since I used old/torn pants, they don't get worn too often - mostly just house cleaning day. I've actually been wearing my own regular jeans, which are low-cut in the front, quite a bit. Surprisingly, they still zip and button over my obviously pregnant 20+ week belly. I wear a belly band or my Blanqi top over them to smooth the belly out a bit and help them stay on.
Using a belly band from target worked quite well as a panel for my pants, by the way. Snug and stretchy and no seam. Good luck with your project! Let us know how it goes!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
7lilpiggies
Registered Users
Formerly: 6lilpiggies
seller

My Mood:

I used something similar to this I got from motherhood you can easily make all it is is a piece of fabric double layer with snaps on each end to snap around you belt loop an it covers the zipper and button, that way you don't have to mess your fav pants up http://www.maternityandbabyshoppingm...laindenim.aspx
Old 04-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
teenie
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have! I went to the thrift store and bought a really ugly cheap pair with a comfy band (probably mid belly) and cut it off those. Oddly enough the pair I loved was also American eagle! I took the waistband off my ae's and took the band off the ugly jeans and voila! Perfection! They didn't fit at the VeRY end of pregnancy but did most of my pregnancy. Ill go look for a pic.
teenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #18
teenie
Registered Users

My Mood:
Hope this pic works! These were my fave jeans, and I had several pairs so it was no prob making them into maternity

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2781822293.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	141716
teenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #19
MommyZ of 2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wow! You guys are awesome! I'm the lazy gal that looped a hair band through the buttonhole and onto the button and made sure my tops were long enough to cover it when that no longer worked cause I couldn't zip far enough up, I bought the same style jeans in a size up from goodwill for $4, and still used the hair tie.

You girls have got some talent!
MommyZ of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #20
booth2490
Registered Users
seller

I converted a pair I bought at GW by replacing with front of the waistband with a wide elastic from a pair of polyester maternity capris It worked fine, but I couldn't wear them long into the second pg b/c my rear wouldn't fit in them. "They" say to buy maternity in your pre-preg size, but my butt and hips didn't get the memo.

I also had a pair from motherhood of the full panel. I had to add a casing inside the back just below the panel and added wide elastic. That could help some of your ill-fitting maternity pants. GL.