Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

WHY is my 2 year old waking up so much at night???!!!!

I seriously don't get it and she's killing me. She has never been a good sleeper, has good periods and bad periods. But recently has been the worst its been in a while. She's never sttn. She wakes up crying every time, usually screaming and waking the whole house up. I have been trying to night wean her but three hours into her first wake up and she's still screaming and crying I give in (this is a repeat pattern. She will not go back to sleep until she nurses. She will stay up for hours).She ends up in bed with me, my 6 month old and at least one dog every single night. I get 2 inches of space. My back is killing me and I'm like a zombie all day long. I just can't take it anymore. I fully expect the 6 month old to wake up but she wakes up, nurses and right back to sleep. Easy peasy. My two year old is torturing me and DH is so fed up all he is willing to do anymore is let her CIO so I'm stuck trying to do this all on my own. Help!

Advertisement

Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WHY is my 2 year old waking up so much at night???!!!!

Can you take your 6 month old and go visit family or a friend for a few nights? Maybe she will get over it while you're gone. And DH will have to chip in.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

My now 3 year old had a severe sleep regression at 2. He was not nursing, but would wake up several times per night. I gave him a sippy cup to go back to sleep. Maybe try offering her a cup and try night weaning. Jay Gordon's sleep book has a great no cry night weaning program.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
cbreeding
Registered Users

With mine, ,molars were coming in.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have no advice. But I will say I have been through exactly the same thing. I have a 21 month age gap, and I just don't think DD2 reacted well to the baby coming at all. She has only just weaned at 3, and honestly it''s been over a month but she still keeps trying. Almost every night she comes into our bed although mostly now she just goes back to sleep as long as she is snuggling me. Often I get DH to take her back to her bed.

I just wanted to say, it does get better! My 3yo has never been a great sleeper either. We've always found it funny that the baby (who is now 16 months) sleeps better than her, and has since birth. The baby has basically never woken up during the night except when she is sick or teething. It's plain ridiculous. I have noticed that DD2 is slowly improving and sleeping better, we are getting there. But I have no answers, it's just been playing the waiting game.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have been trying jay Gordon's method actually. And she goes to bed with a sippy cup. When she wakes up she's like a screaming maniac and nothing pacifies her. It could possibly be a sleep regression. There's a pattern. She sleeps good for a week or so (only waking once at night), then regresses to waking every one or two hours. I was debating doing a sleep study with her, just not sure what that entails and her pediatrician was very resistant when I asked for the referral. Her suggestion was to lock her door and let her cry herself to sleep.... this is me rolling my eyes.
And as far as leaving, I wish I could.. DH works and goes to school full time so he's rarely home and usually gets home late and out early. He tries to console her on her first waking. Usually that ends quickly and she's in bed w me sooner then later
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
When my DD turned 23ish months, she started this. First she'd just get out of bed and come in our room to play or cuddle. We would return her to her room.

Then we put a knob ball on her door and she couldn't get out, so she'd bang on her door and scream. We'd return her to her bed.

At about 24/25 months, we got her a toddler clock and it worked wonders. We simply explained that the clock said it was nighttime, so she had to stay in bed. Took about 2 weeks which included the dreaded fall time change and she has been fine ever since.

I definitely think it was the normal 24 month sleep regression. DD has all her teeth way before turning 2 and has been STTN for ever.

The toddler clock was a great deal for us. Such a gentle reminder and something she can see all night to indicate security and consistency.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could be 2yr molars coming in - those suck.
Is she fully awake when she starts crying? One of our boys had night-terrors, started about age 2.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was going to say possible ear infection...but if you've already taken her to a dr., I'm guessing they ruled that out....