Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
taupou
Registered Users

Problems with prefolds in Germany

I ordered unbleached, Indian cotton prefolds from a U.S. website while I was pregnant and now that my 9 lb, breastfed baby girl is almost 3 weeks old, I am at my wit's end trying to get the diapers to work for us. I was wondering if someone here might be able to offer some tips or else perhaps direct me to a forum where I can ask for some tips. I am about to give up!

I live in a student dorm in Germany and pay 2 Euro per wash, 1 Euro per dry for laundry. I have about 30 prefolds all together and am using a mixture of 2 newborn size Rumparooz covers, 2 one-size Rumparooz covers, and 2 Tiny Tush one-size covers. I use a Snappy to secure the prefold underneath the diaper covers. The prefolds were prewashed in enzyme-free, perfume free baby detergent (Tandil Sensitiv from Aldi) with about a tablespoon of vinegar in the rinse cycle to guard against the hard water.

The main problem is that almost every time we change the diapers, the baby has leaked heavily through the cover and we have to change her clothes as well. It does not matter whether we change the diaper 2 hours later or more. We quickly run out of clothes and covers despite handwashing the covers every time they get soaked through. The leaks can be out the back, *through* the back, or out the leg holes. Because we have to change her clothes almost every diaper change, the laundry is getting quite expensive very fast! Also, the baby dislikes having her clothes changed so often.

Also, since the diaper seems to get wet almost as soon as we put it on her, she has gotten quite the diaper rash. We have started regularly using some zinc oxide based cream although the midwife recommended against using it except in rare instances. The cream seems to help clear the rash, but really there must be an absorbency solution, right?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

taupou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
nachoslyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Problems with prefolds in Germany

Not in Germany but which Indian prefolds did you purchase? What size? How many times did you wash and dry the prefolds to prep them for use? What kind of fold are you using on the prefold? A tad more info would definitely help you get more answers
Old 03-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Covers too. What kind are you using? Do you have gaps at the waist and legs?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
When she leaks, is the prefold soaked or is it still dry? Of the prefolds are soaked, it sounds like you should change more often and/or add in a hemp doubler or something. If the prefold is mostly dry, it's probably an absorbency problem because of the diaper cream and/or she's a flooder (pees a ton all at once) and the cover may also be poor.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
queenginseng
Registered Users
seller

I agree if they are soaked, you may want another doubler. You could try another cover, I like Popolino and could sell you a barely used one or try to add a lanolized wool soaker over the diaper cover.

Is the diaper wet while you are feeding her? If so, you may need to take a break and change again before baby falls asleep.

What temp are you washing the diapers at? The cream may not be washing out and hindering absorbancy. Have you thought about flushable or fleece liners so the wetness is not on baby's skin? Some folks cut a fleece blanket etc and make their own.

Mom to Joseph 10.2006 and Elizabeth 12.2010-born with a cleft palate

ISO/IHA
queenginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
taupou
Registered Users

Here is some more information:

Prefolds used:
Indian Prefold Cloth Diapers from Cotton Babies, sizes Infant and Newborn (out of stock) cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=277

The prefolds were washed by my mother about 4 times before I started using them with All Clear & Free detergent on hot temperature and dried in the dryer. Since I have had them, they've been washed 2-3 more times also in hot water (90° C) with Tandil Sensitiv enzyme-free, perfume free baby detergent and dried on low temperature (that's the only available temperature setting) in our lousy coin-op dorm dryer (which takes !!2 hours!! to dry a load of prefolds or other clothes, and still usually requires hanging dry for 2-3 more hours!).

I haven't been using the zinc oxide cream for very long, so it seems unlikely that it has built up enough to be hindering the absorbency.

Covers:
Rumparooz newborn diaper covers and one-size covers
One-sizeTiny Tush diaper covers
kanga-care.com/Rumparooz-Cloth-Diaper-Covers--NEWBORN-PREEMIE-Prints_p_132.htm
kanga-care.com/Rumparooz-Cloth-Diaper-Covers--ONE-SIZE-Prints_p_131.html

With the covers, there is often a gap in the legs on the Rumparooz (she has skinny legs)-- but the Rumparooz leak through the fabric of the seat just as often as through the leg holes.

The Tiny Tush seem to fit better with the leg gussets and also with the watertightness, but they also leak relatively often (though not as often as the Rumparooz).

Concerning the wool covers: the cost is pretty prohibitive for me, especially since I already invested in the other diaper covers (though most of them I received as gifts). I have one wool diaper cover I got as a hand-me-down, but it is really rough. Someone probably washed it on hot and dried it in a dryer by accident, lol. I am not sure if lanolizing it will be enough, but I will try doing that and see if it works better-- but I would rather try to make at least some of the covers I have now work somehow. If that is possible. :/

The diapers are sometimes wet when I feed her, but not soaked through usually. Also, someone asked-- the prefolds are completely soaked when I change them. Always soaked through. I have never found a non-soaked diaper.

I don't have any doublers. Are those like inserts to add on top of the prefolds? Perhaps it indeed would be helpful to make some out of a fleece blanket...

Last edited by taupou; 03-21-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:59 AM   #7
lizxvx
Registered Users

My Mood:

Have you tried stripping them to see if that helps change the issue? We were getting rashes at first too, but then once I stripped the diapers and tweaked my laundry routine, the issue went away. Is the cream CD safe?
lizxvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:20 AM   #8
taupou
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizxvx View Post
Have you tried stripping them to see if that helps change the issue? We were getting rashes at first too, but then once I stripped the diapers and tweaked my laundry routine, the issue went away. Is the cream CD safe?
I could try stripping them-- I have heard a little about it. However, I'd like some more detailed info on what is ok and what isn't because we don't have Dawn here-- I will have to find another detergent that meets the same criteria.

Is there a section on this forum with FAQs on stripping, what ingredients in creams are cloth diaper safe, and on making doublers out of fleece blankets? I looked around for a definitive FAQ and would like to know also more about the doublers since I didn't hear back from the other users who initially commented on this post. (it's an ocean of information on here and I am not so forum-savvy!)

On a side note re: stripping-- I use about a tablespoon of white vinegar in the rinse because the water here is very hard. Would vinegar also strip diapers, as it removes oil in general?

Also, what did you change in your washing routine that got rid of the rash?

Last edited by taupou; 03-26-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
queenginseng
Registered Users
seller

The fleece blanket would be cut to the size you need as a liner, not necessarily to increase absorbency. If you do not have one to cut you, try Zeeman or Kik stores for a cheap one.

What are your plans after prefolds? Did you plan on moving to a different diaper assuming cloth works for you? I liked my Popolino one size diapers and covers (not one sized) for the days. I changed whenever they were wet, if baby was up. I did not use cream, only rarely leftover bellybutton powder called Wecessin by Weleda.

I have read vinegar is not good for PUL covers.

Here are a few boosters. http://www.windeln.de/popolini-winde...FY27zAodZUgAFw

Mom to Joseph 10.2006 and Elizabeth 12.2010-born with a cleft palate

ISO/IHA
queenginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

If the diapers are completely soaked each time you change the baby then you need to change more often. I would only hand wash your covers. Fleece would be a liner not a double fleece does not absorb liquid but it could act as a dry dry layer.
You can roll up or trifold one of the prefolds and lay in inside of another prefold and fasten like normal.
If the covers are leaking straight through the middle they might be defective.
30 prefolds and 6 covers are not very much to work with. Can you get a few more covers?
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote