Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
tokidokikashikoi
Registered Users
seller

Re: Thrifty Burnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by madebymommy View Post
Ugh, I am SO right there with you!! I've fallen off the thrifty wagon... its partially because we've been so focused on saving money, we've let lots of things go in the past year - our clothing was in bad shape, things needed around the house, etc. We ended up splurging on some things, and now I have immense guilt. It's time to get motivated again!!
Don't feel guilty about this! I had the same thing happen, I was living paycheck to paycheck for years with no room in the budget to buy myself underwear or replace hand towels or invest in anything to make my life easier. I had an 18 month project that doubled my pay and I was finally able to buy some of those needed things. Now the project is over and I don't have as much saved as I would have liked. Could that money have gone into savings? Yes! But I would still have all these basic needs that weren't being met. Money could always be used somewhere else, it's okay to invest in yourself!

Advertisement

tokidokikashikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:
I know, my husband thinks I'm a nut for feeling guilty, LOL. I at least bought our stuff on sale plus a 25% off coupon. That made me feel a little better, LOL!!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wait, what? How does pizza blow up?

Over the years, I find that I cycle in and out of thriftiness. It's really hard to stay thrifty when you don't have to, necessarily. Likewise, it's really easy when you do have to.

Lots of good advice here....what works best for me is taking the time to run actual numbers and of course having a goal. Small, managable goals broken down even further help when I start to stagnate....and they could be something really tiny, like - take pictures of one thing I want to sell on CL today.

You can get back on track, or you can modify your goals to suit your needs a little better. Maybe no spend year should be no spend 3 weeks a month, or no spend except this $30. Or whatever you think might work a little better. I can see no spend being tough, especially if you are having a hard day and just want to go to McDonalds or if your kid cuts their hair and you need an emergency cut at the salon. Stuff like that.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #14
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

Lol. Pizza blew up?! Too crazy!
Old 03-24-2013, 12:56 AM   #15
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm blaming my burnout on the pregnancy. No energy to do the extra things to be thrifty, no energy to meal plan or cook, or line dry or anything really... DH takes a pay cut pretty soon so I'm hoping that will help kick me back in gear!
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #16
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I could not be thrifty while pg.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #17
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
Wait, what? How does pizza blow up?

Over the years, I find that I cycle in and out of thriftiness. It's really hard to stay thrifty when you don't have to, necessarily. Likewise, it's really easy when you do have to.

Lots of good advice here....what works best for me is taking the time to run actual numbers and of course having a goal. Small, managable goals broken down even further help when I start to stagnate....and they could be something really tiny, like - take pictures of one thing I want to sell on CL today.

You can get back on track, or you can modify your goals to suit your needs a little better. Maybe no spend year should be no spend 3 weeks a month, or no spend except this $30. Or whatever you think might work a little better. I can see no spend being tough, especially if you are having a hard day and just want to go to McDonalds or if your kid cuts their hair and you need an emergency cut at the salon. Stuff like that.
I agree. it's so hard being thrifty when the debts are paid off. I do little goals like sell $500 worth of unneeded things . or 30 days no o t e . Then reward yourself with an outfit, mini vacation, a latte.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

We got out of debt in September of 2011. I've been slowly sliding off the thrifty bandwagon ever since. First rough pregnancy, then clingy baby, and just sheer fatigue. We havn't made any new debt, and we did manage to save enough for a 3 month emergency fund, but that's been whittled in half over the winter. It's terrible. I've been so lazy, not working on swagbucks, eating out often, I can't remember the last time I actually made a weekly meal plan.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Right there with you mamas! We were doing really well - the fear of sequestration and all - but being assured at work that I am indispensable, plus DDs daycare cost decreasing, has made us feel rich :-(.
Our problem is that my long term goal is to get out of our current house and into a bigger one in time to TTC again. I would be more motivated but DH keeps saying that it's never gonna happen and we should live comfortably now.
I really need to pay more attention to the grocery budget and "incidentals" that keep coming up.