Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
dani_p
Registered Users

My baby was born on my bed (big mess!) and it was made up as follows: normal (keeper) sheets, dollar store plastic fitted sheet, throwaway sheets. After the birth, my midwife wrapped the mess in the dollar store plastic sheet and threw it all away... Leaving a made up bed all ready for us underneath! Super easy.

Advertisement

Expecting number two (04/14)!
dani_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homebirth 'mess'

I don't remember it being very messy. I got a plastic fitted sheet and then a cloth sheet from the thrift store. On top of that we had to "puppy" pad type things. Nothing important got blood on it except for a tiny stain on one of our pillowcases that I decided to keep b/c i reminds me of his birth every time. I think blood is really cool though so maybe I didn't notice as much?
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've had my last two babies at home in our garden tub. Easier birth experience, and absolutely no mess!
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've had 2 homebirths and never got blood on anything. Ds2 was born in the living room and I had chux down and only soiled 2 of the 6 I had down. Then dd was born in my bedroom, but not in bed, and I only had 2 chux on the floor and only soiled 1.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last time I delivered in our bathroom on a birthstool. This time I am hoping to do it in our bedroom but not on the bed. I am going to have the bed made up with a plastic cover and extra sheet just in case and only have throw away pillows (we have tons) on the bed. I am more worried about the side of the bed/boxsprings getting yuck on it instead of the actual bed itself. We will see but I am going to be ready for the worst case senerio. My family and midwife knew my situation and are prepared to be proactive in getting bloody messes cleaned and away immediately.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #16
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Five births, very little blood until passing placenta (and then still not like what I see on tv shows.)

I did have a lot of fluid but I actually do not ever recall seeing much blood at all during labor and delivery.

Easiest thing I have found is to buy those flannel backed tablecloths and line the floor and bed with them. I deliver squatting so they are perfect because they allow me to move around.

I also make my bed in layers. Mattress protector,sheet,mattress protector,sheet. That way if I do end up leaking anything in the bed it is a quick and easy change.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #17
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NappyChappy View Post
Last time I delivered in our bathroom on a birthstool. This time I am hoping to do it in our bedroom but not on the bed. I am going to have the bed made up with a plastic cover and extra sheet just in case and only have throw away pillows (we have tons) on the bed. I am more worried about the side of the bed/boxsprings getting yuck on it instead of the actual bed itself. We will see but I am going to be ready for the worst case senerio. My family and midwife knew my situation and are prepared to be proactive in getting bloody messes cleaned and away immediately.

You can get plastic protectors for the boxspring too

Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #18
~happy2Bamommy~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NappyChappy View Post
I have 2 plastic drop cloths, tons of old towels, 3 old sheets, and 23 chux pads. All of which is to be thrown away. Do you think that's enough. We have a protective cover on our bed if my water breaks while laying down. I don't think that will freak me out too much. I am just trying to prepare myself mentally and to think ahead. I am already 38 weeks 4 days- 4cm 75%effaced so definitely close.
I personally found that the plastic drop cloths moved around too easily. I didn't like them for the bed or floor. I switched to the flannel backed tablecloths with my third birth and love them.

Have you thought about compresses during labor? I do seem to recall that the rags I used for hot compresses saw a bit more of the mucus/discharge. I had 36 of the cheap ones from walmart. I've told my husband that if I had to choose only one thing to use during labor, it would be hot compresses!

Oh, and you may be in for a quick labor! My best labors were the ones where I walked around for 4+ weeks being 4cm and effaced Very easy births!

Last edited by ~happy2Bamommy~; 03-21-2013 at 09:20 PM.