Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Stamina
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sickness!

Advertisement

Last edited by Stamina; 04-02-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Stamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sickness, Between a rock and a hard place...

I just started a home daycare and my daughter has been sick every since and myself too. She'll get over one cold and get another one as soon as she's better. Thankfully they have all been colds and the like. Even though I'm careful about germs you just can't stop the coughing and sneezing and breathing in the air and you can't run around after them with lysol wipes. One suggestion is double check your sanitizing is strong enough to kill viruses. Really, only soaking in bleach and water for 10 mins will kill everything and you can't always do that with all the toys. A bleach/water spray is what daycares use too. If the surface isn't wet long enough the viruses can survive.
I'm not sure what you should do otherwise. I can't give up daycare because we need the money. Spring is coming soon and things should get better then. Many viruses do well in cold dry weather thus we're sick more in the winter. If most of their illnesses are cold type and not the puking type, I might just wait it out. But if they're getting seriously sick with high fevers and require constant care then I would be more likely to take a break until the summer.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've been talking to some of my friends and coworkers about this, and it's been a hard winter for illness here, too. Nonstop for everyone with kids.

Our littlest guy is 7 months old and I feel like he's been WELL for maybe a month of his life, total. Just one cold after another. he can't catch a break.

I guess it would depend on the kind of illnesses you are dealing with. If it's just colds, I'd keep at it. I'm not totally inclined to believe that these other kids are the source of all of your problems, but if they have strep throat or are puking they should be at their own home, kwim? On the bright side, you are dealing with some illness now so perhaps when your kids start school they will be ahead of the game. You can try to avoid it all you want, but it's going to happen sooner or later. It just seriously sucks to deal with so much of it at once.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If they're sick with anything more than a cold they shouldn't be going to any care, whether it be the day care or your house, they should be kept home so they don't pass their bugs to everyone else.

But if it is just colds, there's not much you can do. It's been a bad year all over for colds this year, and kids usually catch a lot of cold bugs each year - I've read that babies/toddlers will get an average of 14 colds a year, each one lasting 2-3 weeks, which adds up to a lot of sick weeks!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Stamina
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by Stamina; 04-02-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Stamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would tell your sister epwhat you just posted. That you adore your nephews but the sickness has been overwhelming and to please keep them home if they've had fever or yellow/green snot or vomiting or diarrhea.
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our school has a rule, you have to be fever, puke & diarrhea free for 24 hours prior (so if you have a fever at 8 pm, no school the next day) or no school. I'd just make a flat rule and next time if the parent announces there is a fever, just say no. If they are dropping off a child with a 100 fever, that is just taking advantage of you. They are opting to pass the illness to you instead of taking a day off to care for their sick child. Will they watch all your children when you are sick?

You sound overwhelmed and I don't blame you. I would completely end the one day a week with the nephews to focus on you and your children. Let them get well and let you get well, too. I understand it's hard to say no but you need to be physically and mentally well. PPD is serious and that is too much.

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls (10, 13 & 19) & 1 sweet little guy (3)
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssand23 View Post
Our school has a rule, you have to be fever, puke & diarrhea free for 24 hours prior (so if you have a fever at 8 pm, no school the next day) or no school. I'd just make a flat rule and next time if the parent announces there is a fever, just say no. If they are dropping off a child with a 100 fever, that is just taking advantage of you. They are opting to pass the illness to you instead of taking a day off to care for their sick child. Will they watch all your children when you are sick?

There's no way they'd be allowed to drop the kids off at a day care place with symptoms like that, so why would they expose you/your family to them?
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
thoennes6
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't watch my niece or nephew if they had a fever. I can't take my dd to our sitter if she has a fever and I can't send my kids to school if they have a fever. In fact I have to keep them home until they have been fever free for 24 hours. I know you love them and enjoy spending time with them, but there mom or dad should really stay home them if they have a fever IMO.
thoennes6 is offline   Reply With Quote