Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Choffman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Building a Stash

I'm new, clueless, and in need of direction. I want easy, no fuss (or as little as possible) and cute of course. Money is a little tight but I don't mind splurging and I understand quality and cuteness comes with a price tag. Right now I'm looking at newborn but I will take advice on all stages, buy packages or whatever I need to do. This is my first time cloth diapering so I would hate to buy everything I will ever need and then not end up sticking with it (that's why I need easy..lol) I have to start from scratch since I'm a newbie to this but I can't lie, I'm excited and just think they are SOOOO stinking cute. I do like the natural, good for the earth and my baby part too So if you had to start from scratch and buy what you needed what would it be? Brand, kind, accessories, supplies? I'm up for any and all info. I've done two days worth of research and I'm still pretty lost.

Advertisement

Choffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
sarahbrianne429
Registered Users
seller

Re: Building a Stash

I am still learning 2 months in! My daughter is only 2 weeks old but we quickly learned what would work and what didnt. I prefer AIO (all in one) but I do have a few pocket diapers and a gDiaper hybrid system. AIO seem to be the easiest for me because they work like a disposable except they go into a diaper laundry pail, not a garbage pail. Pockets are similar but you stuff and unstuff the inserts when you wash them and prefolds can be used with a shell, and flats are put on the baby and pinned or snappied and a cover goes over them. I am intrigued by the different folding patterns of flats, I just dont have the time to learn the folds and I would have to buy more cloth diaper stuff. Have you watched any cloth diapering 101 videos on youtube? That is a must.

But anyways, for starters you would need
-cloth diaper pail and liners (2) or large (maybe hanging) wetbags
-1-2 smaller wetbags for diaper bag (we go out 1 to 2x a week and only use 1)
-cloth diaper safe detergent
-cloth diaper safe butt cream or coconut oil for irritation or protection
-cloth wipes (why use disposable if using cloth diapers)
-wipe warmer or empty wipes container for cloth wipes
-wipes solution or plain water works fine for exclusively breastfed babies
-wipes for diaper bag (dry wipes and spray bottle..? Havent figured mine out yet)
-your cloth diapers of choice, have at least 3 days worth in your stash (24-32)

This is what works for me, it might not work for you. You really dont know what will or wont work until you try it out. And if something doesnt work for you, dont be discouraged. Its really trial and error. Looking back, I wish I hadnt bought an entire gDiaper system, I would have bought some used AIO diapers, specifically Thirsties Duo AIO in size 1 to start me off. They fit my daughter better than her newborn cloth diapers and they go past the gDiapers size small in size/weight range. So I could have had 1 set instead of a more expensive 2 part set (newborn AIO and gDiaper smalls). I also bought some one sized AIO diapers but they wont fit until 11-14 pounds, depending on the baby's build. I havent even tried the pockets yet, because it seems like too much of a hassel to stuff and unstuff with every use. I dont have anything to say about prefolds and flats because I havent tried them and dont have the time to learn them. I do hear that they can be the most budget friendly, however. My favorite websites to buy diapers from are jackbenatural.com and kellyscloset.com.. jackbenatural always has some type of coupon code out there to use and shipping and handling is free over $20. I just bought 3 gently used Thirsties Duo AIO and a new package of organic cotton wipes for a little over $35 with coupon codes and the store credit they give you after every purchase. They also give you free samples with every order, usually a sample of cloth diaper detergent. Did I mention that they ship really fast too? I can give you the coupon codes if you interested, let me know! Kellyscloset usually has everything in stock and they often have different free one sized diaper promotions going on. (Thats how I got one of my pockets) They also offer free shipping on orders over $49 or $35 with a coupon code but you cant use more than one coupon code per order. I also like Mothersmilkboutique.com because they have some good sales at times and right now they are having a promotion for a free wet bag with $35 purchase and shipping is free for the month of march. (Shipping is usually free on oders over $25). I needed a new nursing tank and the one i wanted was on sale for $35 so i got that and the free wet bag. Freebies are usually a coupon code so keep an eye out for that.

I would take into consideration that what you would like to work, might not actually work for you. If you are curious about something, research first, then if still curious, give it a try. Worst case scenario, you can sell the stuff that didnt work for you.

Hope this helps! I gave you whatever was on the top of my head so if you have any questions, just ask.
sarahbrianne429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Choffman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your awesome! Thank you for taking the time to explain. Yes I think all in one is the way I'm going to go. It seems the easiest. So you like thirsties? Do the size 1's fit newborns? I'm trying to get it all figured out but my goodness there is a lot to this cloth diapering thing.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Choffman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also no I haven't watched the YouTube videos. Ill go searching for some. How many diapers do you think I should start off with?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
hcokasil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My youngest is only ten days old, and so far our faves are swaddlebees simples newborn. They fit under her cord stump, and the two rows of snaps make for an awesome fit. The newborn (or xs) bum genius are a close second right now, I can fold them down under her cord stump and Velcro is great for nights! We have gro-via nb and they are so cute, but its harder to get a good fit. We only have two lil joeys and they fit fine, but I can tell they won't last long. We also have fuzzibuns in xs, but they are too big, at least until this cord stump falls off (hopefully soon). We also have nb gmd prefolds and workhorse diapers, I haven't been reaching for them as often because the workhorses don't really fit under the stump and the prefolds are pretty bulky. Again, I think I will like both of those better after the cord is off!

sorry, i'm really bad at autocorrect and I don't like proof reading!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Ala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I also have just started CDing and I also initially thought AIOs would be the way to go. I ended up trying a few different brands and several pocket dipes as well. I am finding I love CDing so much I am even venturing into prefolds, fitted, and wool. I don't have years of CDing experience but my advice would be not to spend a whole bunch of money on one specific system until you know what you are going to like. Now I am wishing I didn't spend so much $ on the AIOs and pockets and would have invested more on wool! Everyone likes something different, so good luck finding what works for you!
Ala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
sarahbrianne429
Registered Users
seller

I tried the Thirsties on my 6 lb 12 oz 1 week old (a week ago!) and they fit her perfectly so i bought more and they are in the way now.. She has these skinny little legs and round belly that the newborn diapers didnt fit right. They would fit her legs on the smallest setting, then be tight on her waist. When loosened, there would be huge gaps on the legs and perfect fit on the waist. I was on a really tight budget and bought some more expensive newborn AIOs and wished I didnt! They will be sold on here soon to fund some more Thirsties. A lot of people say to go with prefolds or flats with a cover for the newborn stage, but that is just too much work for me.

Thirsties website says that the size 1 fits 6-18 pounds. Some people can go past 18 lbs and some dont quite make it. They only to up to a size 2 which I think is nice. I planned on doing newborn and then one sized diapers, so either way I am still getting the two step system I wanted. The xs, s, m, l, lx systems were too much for me considering you have to buy each size. Some people like that you get a more perfect fit, but the thirsties have the snaps where you adjust size to fit. I tried the aplix and snaps and like the way the snaps fit better, the aplix seemed to bunch at the waist when the baby curled her legs up. Here is a link to the Thirsties site.
http://www.thirstiesbaby.com/product...uo-all-in-one/

It does help to read all of the information and watch the videos the diaper sites give, you will learn everything you need to know a lot quicker and you might catch something you overlooked.

And here is a link to the site I was telling you about that has the $10 gently used thirsties
http://www.jackbenatural.com/gently-...in-one-diaper/

Even though these diapers are awesome, I still dont recommend doing your whole stash with them. I havent heard any complaints with these yet, but I would hate for you to build your stash following my recommendations and it doesnt work for you. You can however, get most of or all of (depending on how much you spent per item) your money back by selling your stuff on here.
sarahbrianne429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #8
Choffman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the awesome advice ladies. I'll start with a little of everything. What exactly are wool? Do they come in AIO?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Ala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choffman
Thanks for the awesome advice ladies. I'll start with a little of everything. What exactly are wool? Do they come in AIO?
Wool diaper covers. Super soft, super cute, and super leak proof! See http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/...htm#doubleknit there is a lot of good info on this site about all types of diapers as well.
Ala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
Choffman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks I've been on my phone because we were out of town all day and I was just able to sit down at my pc and actually take some time and read through all this thoroughly..I watched a ton of youtube videos and have a much clearer understanding of all this. I'm a need to see to understand kinda gal. I get it now...sorta..hahaha. I really think I'm leaning toward the pocket or the AIO kind. I love the idea of wool and when I'm brave enough I'm sure I'll venture into other things. On the AIO and pocket inserts do you guys recommend velcro or snap? I'm thinking velcro for newborn snaps for later?