Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
leyash
Registered Users
seller

gestational diabetes mamas - help!

so, i just took my third GD test this pregnancy, a couple of days ago. i was 34+6. well, i failed it.

i have to go in for the three hour on monday. please tell me what this means.

is it guaranteed that they will take baby early? and if so, HOW early? i do not want them to take him well before he is ready. also, what are the risks to baby? what are the risks for me? do i HAVE to get on insulin?

help!

Advertisement

leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: gestational diabetes mamas - help!

Did they diagnosis you with GD yet or are you going to the 3 hour glucose test to determine if you have GD?

I failed the 1 hour and was sent to the 3 hour. (BTW it sucks). I passed and had a full term baby, no c-section. No induction. They send a lot of people to the 3 hour who do not have GD because the window to pass the 1 hour is so narrow.

My friend had GD and she had to monitor her diet very carefully, but no insulin and she was going to be induced but then she went into labor naturally and delivered on her due date.

They mostly worry more about the baby getting too large and monitor more closely and may want to induce if you go past your due date, but I have never heard of them taking a baby early and you should have a lot of say if that happens. Good luck and I hope it works out!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
leyash
Registered Users
seller

my kids have been 9 and 10 pounds in the past - with possible gestational diabetes that went undetected (that is what my current doctor is thinking). we've talked about inducing at 39w if my cervix is favorable, to avoid another monster baby/c-section.

i failed the one hour, going for three hour on monday.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can give you my experience and knowledge about GD. I've dealt with it for 8 weeks now.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

For what it's worth, I've read that 80% of moms who fail the 1 hr will pass the 3 hr. They will probably watch you closely with NSTs if you do have GD. If they do need to take the baby early, they probably won't induce before 39 weeks unless it's an emergency. GD babies are slower to develop lung maturity so it can be dangerous to take them too early. Good luck!
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe View Post
I can give you my experience and knowledge about GD. I've dealt with it for 8 weeks now.

i've still got the email you sent me with the list of foods. i'm not really concerned about that... i THINK i can watch my diet enough to keep decent numbers. but what if i can't? automatic insuline? does this mean they will want to take baby early, based on size? what are the complications to baby if i do have it?

i'm nervous now. i obviously want him here before he gets too large to come our vaginally, but i didn't want THIS. just one more example of how my mouth/thoughts really screw me.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwmommy View Post
For what it's worth, I've read that 80% of moms who fail the 1 hr will pass the 3 hr. They will probably watch you closely with NSTs if you do have GD. If they do need to take the baby early, they probably won't induce before 39 weeks unless it's an emergency. GD babies are slower to develop lung maturity so it can be dangerous to take them too early. Good luck!

that makes me sad.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash

i've still got the email you sent me with the list of foods. i'm not really concerned about that... i THINK i can watch my diet enough to keep decent numbers. but what if i can't? automatic insuline? does this mean they will want to take baby early, based on size? what are the complications to baby if i do have it?

i'm nervous now. i obviously want him here before he gets too large to come our vaginally, but i didn't want THIS. just one more example of how my mouth/thoughts really screw me.
Insulin isn't automatic and by this point in pregnancy your hormones "level" off so there won't be a lot of changes in blood sugar responses to food. Your ob will have a better idea of what they'll do. Metformin (an oral med) may be prescribed or they may be ok with trying diet alone. This late in pregnancy I'm really not sure. They will really just want to make sure that things are well controlled before birth.

If you do have gd they'll start nst's to make sure that baby is ok. It seems like every dr has a different standard of care. Recommendations are 2 nst's a week, but my ob does one. Most dr's aren't comfortable going past 39 weeks with gd moms. One of the biggest concerns is premature placental aging.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had to do the three hour because I failed the one hour. I passed the three hour, BUT, my doctor told me that at that point (and I believe I was around the same weeks as you are) to eat the GD diet anyways. It will help quite a bit.

Even if you will need insulin, you will first need to control diet. That's non-negotiable. Insulin may or may not be needed as a second step.

I know Anjuli has been dealing with this really hardcore and she is a great resource, so if she gave you a list of foods that's a really great place to start.

Unfortunately the diet takes a lot of self-control, so you will probably spend the next few weeks eating stuff you don't want to eat, and forcing yourself to eat at certain times, even if you aren't feeling it. It's rough, but you will get through it. You just need to remember that every bit of food that helps keep your blood sugar at good levels helps to keep excess glucose out of your baby. Too much glucose in your baby means his pancreas will do too much insulin to process this extra glucose.

After the baby is born they will test his glucose levels. There may be blood sugar or jaundice issues.

I'm trying to answer your what to expect questions, but let me know if you need more info.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
leyash
Registered Users
seller

my youngest had blood sugar problems after birth (they thought due to size). my current dr. thinks it was because i had GD and it went undiagnosed.

i have no problem watching my food intake. i'm at the point of my pregnancy now where i kind of don't have cravings much anymore at all. i don't mind eating healthy (steak and eggs, salads, lots of fruits/veggies), and in fact, it's what i crave most often, so i don't see that being a problem. my biggest problem is going to be carbs, i think. :/ eek. i am really hoping that i pass the 3 hour test, but i think like you, andrea, even if i do, the doctor will still want to monitor me closely. especially because he seems more concerned about my massive babies than i am.