Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Registered Users
Ok, I am catching the flats love!

Question though: are all flats created equal? There is a huge price difference for instance between sbish flats and DR or CB. Are they actually better?

We uses thirsties prefolds at night, and they of course are actually more absorbent than other prefolds, is there a similar magic flat? Hemp flat etc.?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Last edited by amandact; 03-21-2013 at 08:01 PM.
amandact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Flats question

Thirsties prefolds are our magic flats lol. I seam ripped them at that loop and now I can fasten them on like a flat.

We have Diaper Rite flats and flour sack towels. The DR are more absorbent but I like the FST better because they are trimmer.
A & L
thejuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Curling edges is what scares me
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I only use cotton or rb flats.

I have dr unbleached flats sm and circo rb flats from target. I do not get obsessed about them and I have no desire for bamboo and hemp. I like the simplicity of cotton and am completely satisfied with the flats I have.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
Registered Users

I prefer my swaddlebees flats because they are serged and still square. BUT, for the price, you can't beat Osocozy flats if you have Amazon Prime. They just are rectangular after washing, which makes my OCD side twitch.
~wife to The Husband , mom to my clan!
Abigail (05/06), Emmett (10/07), Eleanor (07/09), Hyrum (05/11), Lorenzo (04/13), and Heidi (05/15).
blondeviolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Registered Users

No, I personally do not believe that all flats are created equal. For cotton flats, I have DR, GMD, and OsoCozy. I most definitely prefer my GMD over the others and will likely use my OC over my DR for smalls when the next baby comes. I have had some Sbish flats and they're definitely different. They're made of bamboo and not cotton but I'm unsure as to why they're called flats when they're two layers sewn together and shaped like a prefold. There are also hemp flats out there but I don't like them as they seem a little rough to me.
ISO: MM Dragon's Lair (2) + trim (1) on Uruguay 3-ply
My FSOT includes Green Line, RagaBabe, BBB, Joey Bunz and more.
FriedaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

I loved my SBish "flats" when I had them, however I do not consider them true flats. They are more like wider prefolds that have a better stretch to them. They were my favorite before I started buying up bamboo velour and bamboo terry prefolds but for flats, I ordered 12 Orange Diaper Co Bamboo Terry Squares (expensive, but worth it to me!) and I also want to get 12 imagine bamboo flats
J. age 8 (autism); E. age 7; L. age 6 (pddnos); I. born 6.14.13 at 33 weeks.
Cloth-Diapering, Breastfeeding, Baby-Wearing, Co-Sleeping, Gentle-Parenting Mama.
DiaperDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
lady longs
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have tried thirsties, gmd, flip flats, and blueberry bamboo. I like them all. But, for softness and absorbancy, thirsties wins. Blueberry is softer than the gmd. If I were using it on my baby, I would upgrade just for the softness factor. I never tried the flip flats because they were the wrong size for what I needed them for. But, they're soft like a fave tshirt. Definitely day use only on those. But, if I used flats on my baby in the day, I would totally buy those.

All in all, I like them all. Depends what you are suing them for.

Also, I just bought geffen hemp flat. Still prepping it - but it is lovely!
Wife to my Easy-Breezy Husband, Mama and Teacher to my 4 kiddos: DD 12, DS 10, DS 3, DD 6 weeks

Currently working on...Leading my heart where it should go....not yelling....and practicing patience.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
Registered Users
My Mood:

Hemp Babies makes a hemp flat, but it's pricey I think! Imagine makes bamboo flats. I only have cotton flats (GMD and Target flour sacks), and I'm very satisfied with both! The FST's are a bit thinner than the GMD's, but they are a buck a piece, so I really don't care. I think they both work great, and they both stay square after washing too. I have heard Osocozy and DR flats are rectangular, and both of these have curling edges too. My GMD flats NEVER have curling edges, and my FST's do a little bit, but not much. Because the FST's are thinner, I generally padfold these because then there is 12 layers of absorbency where needed, and I kite-fold the GMD's because I think they are just a bit more absorbent, and not so many layers are needed in the wet-zone.
'ing,'ing, part-time working out of the house, full-time in the house, mom-mom to Jackson Philip 11/28/09 , Levi Garrett 5/18/12 , and Aria Joye 4/16/14, and wife to my best friend and male clone Matthew since 10/6/06.

~forever thankful to have been saved by Grace~
bobbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
Registered Users

I haven't tried bamboo flats, but I really do prefer hemp flats to cotton. But, trimness on my heavy wetters is a huge priority to me.
PPD? Read this.
ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote