Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #31
GirlFriday13th
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: VENT: So, who took care of your toddler when . . .

My mom lives two hours away and we were planning a hb with DS2. I didn't really want her to take him all the way back to her house, nor did i want hr around while i was in labor so we had a few local friends lined up for care. As it turns out we had a transfer and a csection so DS1 spent early labor and one night with one of our local, playgroup friends, while we were still labor ing at home then my mom came and stayed with him at our house for the next two nights while we were in the hospital.

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #32
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoethink
you went into labor?

I am due any minute now and my care plan for DS is falling apart.

Everyone has legitimate reasons for backing out, mostly ailing parents or grand parents, but I really just don't who to turn to. The only family who is close by is my SIL. She is totally willing to take the night shift and is great about canceling her plans on the weekends, but that leaves all day to be covered.

I have one friend who can do some afternoons, but I am not sure about the rest.

DH is great and he says it will all fall into place, but I am kinda freaking out.

What did you do?

Thanks for listening!
We planned for ods to go to a friends house. We went to the hospital at 11pm, and she was already in bd with her phone on silent (she didn't know I was in labor). We are military, so no other family around. The hospital staff didn't care that he was there. They claimed to be a "foil birth center" and had no restrictions with visitors during labor. We popped the pack n play in the bathroom so it would be dark and quiet for him lol. The only problem was when the midwife suspected uterine rupture (attempting a vbac) and we decided to go for a rcs. But by then it was late morning, so we had already lined up DHs co-workers to come watch ods in the waiting room so DH could be with me during the rcs (obv, no kids in the or)

I'm with your hubby. It will work out. They can't turn you away if you are in labor and don't have childcare
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #33
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988

We planned for ods to go to a friends house. We went to the hospital at 11pm, and she was already in bd with her phone on silent (she didn't know I was in labor). We are military, so no other family around. The hospital staff didn't care that he was there. They claimed to be a "foil birth center" and had no restrictions with visitors during labor. We popped the pack n play in the bathroom so it would be dark and quiet for him lol. The only problem was when the midwife suspected uterine rupture (attempting a vbac) and we decided to go for a rcs. But by then it was late morning, so we had already lined up DHs co-workers to come watch ods in the waiting room so DH could be with me during the rcs (obv, no kids in the or)

I'm with your hubby. It will work out. They can't turn you away if you are in labor and don't have childcare
Oh, and after YDS was born, DH and ods came each day to visit, but went home each night. DH wouldn't be staying with me in the hospital anyway, and we wanted the boys to bond a little, so it didn't make sense to me to send him off for the whole time. I was only worried about laboring.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #34
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988

Just realized that crazy autocorrect. FAMILY birth center. Lol
Old 03-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #35
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

Both DDs were asleep so we told MIL we were leaving (we live with her). By the time hubby came home the girls were just waking up and getting breakfast. I had a fast labor and hubby hung out to bond after DD#3 was born before heading home to help with the girls and put the placenta in the refrigerator.

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #36
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom is on call as I get close to my due date and her and my dad come to our house to stay with the kids when I go into labor.

We have lots of family around, but if we didn't, we'd ask a friend (and a few back ups) and then DH might not stay the night at the hospital in that case.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #37
sojomisa
Registered
seller

For #2, dd was with my mom, and then my aunt the whole time I was in the hospital. For #3, 1 and 2 were with dh's aunt in the morning she then took them to school and daycare, dh picked them up from there and stayed with them at night. He would take them to school then come to the hospital. For #4, 1,2 and 3 were with my aunt on delivery day, and the next day. Dh brought them to the hospital then took them home and stayed with them at night after that. I wasn't working anymore so he stayed with them all the time and they visited me after school.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #38
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

a friend of mine & dh's. once the baby was born dh stayed with the kids at home. When i came home dh went back to work.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #39
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our family but they are all close by.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #40
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Could you hire someone to watch him? Anyone you use for babysitting? Maybe hunt for someone new through CL or care.com.

We had a homebirth with our second, and I went Ito labor after the toddler was in bed for the night and delivered before she woke up in the morning, so thankfully we didn't have to worry about it.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote