Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
**rachel**
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Pencil skirt help!

hi ladies!!

I want to try to make a pencil skirt.(it's one of the only skirts that fit me right on!)
I just need major help lol
IF you have made some or one before, and could give me some tips and possibly links that would be amazing!! it just looks so dang complicated

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pencil skirt help!

What are you finding complicated? Are you using a pattern? Have you sewn before? If yes what?
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
**rachel**
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmsrk View Post
What are you finding complicated? Are you using a pattern? Have you sewn before? If yes what?

yup, ive sewn before. ive made diapers, petti skirts, yoga skirts, pants, blankets,
ect. im finding the drawing up the pattern complicated and the heming would you do a blind hem at the end of the skirt?? weve(my sister and I) tried our hand at one yesterday, but it wasn't quite perfect.

and no i'm not using a pattern. i can't read those things
Old 03-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If the pants that you made were tailored and fitted you can use that pattern to turn into a skirt, just put the 2 back pieces together and the 2 front lay them out and taper the outer seams too from your shape. It would not be perfect but it is a good starting point. If the pants were not structured you may want to start with a pattern, structured garments are not as easy loosely fitted knits to get correct.

Blind hems are a nice finishing look but for me it would depend on the fabric, if the fabric would not show the stitches as much I would just us a strait stitch.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #5
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Blind hems can be tricky to do on a machine. I'd keep practicing on scraps until you get it. Try different needle positions and stitch lengths. Some fabrics are really difficult to get a good result. But it may be faster to do it by hand to get the results you want.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
L&KsMom
Registered Users

For the hem, I'd use the lace type hem binding. Iron the bottom of the skirt so that 1/2 inch is folded over. Hand sew the lace hem binding to the bottom of the skirt, then turn the hem under and press it to the length that you want. Then hand stitch the other edge of the lace hem binding with a blind stitch to the skirt fabric where it falls after ironing.

Zippers are tricky too - if you need a good tip for a set in zipper, here's what I do - Baste the seam where you want the zipper shut. Iron the seam open. Then place the zipper where you want it and top stitch it in place using a zipper foot on your machine. Once the zipper is set in, use a seam ripper to open the basted seam over your zipper. Voila - zipper is perfectly centered!
L&KsMom is offline   Reply With Quote