Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Preschool for the speech delayed

On the other preschool thread, I noticed there were a few moms who sent their kids early if they had a speech delay.

My son is almost 2.5 and I've been debating sending him to preschool 1-2 half days a week. He's already getting speech therapy 3x a week.

So, if you sent your speech delayed child to preschool, did you notice an improvement?

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Preschool for the speech delayed

My son only had a slight speech delay, mostly when it comes to annunciation, he *could* make sounds, just wasn't when he was speaking in everyday conversation.

We have seen a huge improvement in him this year in being in school. In fact he was evaluated a couple of months ago and they did not even recommend that he needed speech therapy anymore (we had previously been told he should, but were waiting just a bit to see if it would improve with school and at home activities).

His speech is still not exactly where I think it should be, but there was definitely an improvement.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Bellaroo
Registered Users

Our son hasn't started yet but the school we will be sending him to has had fantastic results in the past, including a child who was completely non-verbal at the start of the year and speaking in sentences by the end of it.

I think the key is that this school is part of a government program that gives daily speech therapy and assistants to each child that is delayed. We are confident that we will see major improvement in our son's ability to communicate because of the program. If we were to send him to a 'regular' preschool we would lower our expectations as the student to teacher ratio would not be in his favour.
Bellaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son who is in speech therapy for articulation did not have any improvement by going to preschool. He makes the best gains in therapy.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Therapy will most definitely continue outside of preschool. He will likely qualify for developmental preschool when he turns 3. I just want results soon! He has made huge gains already in just 6 weeks of speech rherapy
Old 03-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are like pp and two of my boys need speech for just phonological reasons....so can talk until the cows come home, but don't pronounce certain letters clearly(mainly g, k, s, s blends, r which is a later sound of course).

So DS2....put him in regular preschool at age 3, he qualified for speech about a month later, I pulled him out of that preschool as it was a disaster(first year, new teachers, crazy class) plus the speech days conflicted. Really I just wasn't happy with the preschool so it was a good excuse to pull him out. For his 4 year old year he did speech preschool for 2 days a week and regular preschool for the other 3 days a week. This guy is now 7, does 30 mins a week in school speech to finalize his R sounds and just qualified for the gifted/challenge screening! I swear all that extra phono work helped, but he is excellent at math too.

DS3- also phono speech. Did EI for a few months, now does the speech preschool also through the school district. I decided NOT to enroll him for regular preschool this year as I was unsure of the days of the speech preschool until the 11th hour, plus I didn't want him going to "school" 4 days a week as he's only 3 and he will be in school the rest of his life. The 5 days a week for previous son mentioned was kinda hard going.....no time for zoo, outings etc

We are moving next week to Indiana, DS3 will only be doing one day a week preschool as far as I know So next year I will def put him in at least a 2 day a week preschool as one day is not enough for him.

What I did with regular preschool for DS2 - made them very aware of his speech issues, asked them to correct him if they could. Then also asked in various meetings, reports etc how he was doing, how understandable next to other kids etc

This depends on the teacher. Those used to kids will give good info. Those not might give you bad info. The day we left the "bad" preschool, the two teachers, plus the director were telling me how much better he was and they could understand him great. Emmm.....No, he had just been confirmed as moderate to severe speech issues.........
Old 03-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and then the funny thing with "regular" preschool is that you will notice that tons of other kids have certain speech issues too, but just aren't doing speech. Can't tell you how many parents after finding out that my DS was in speech also said....oh yes, Tommy doesn't say xyz, drops his t's, doesn't say s. And then you clearly notice other kids that you just know should be in speech and are not. I remember one girl and she was almost a whole year older than my DS and was really unclear. I was kinda shocked when I learned it was her bday and figured this out as it was really unclear speech for a 4 year old.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

If he'll probably qualify for DD preschool at age 3, I would wait for that. In the meanwhile, get him involved in language-rich activities with other kids, such as play dates and story time at the library.