Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #41
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
First of all, I am relieved that my post wasn't what the OP found offensive.

But regarding the link below... This is junk. It mixes findings from pseudo-science blog posts (!) and experiments done on adult men and women with culturally specific findings that make them seem "natural." The fact that girls lower performance in math is not found in younger children but emerges later and is deeply influenced by social treatment has been well documented (for example: http://www.livescience.com/7349-top-...h-science.html). Other cultures do not find the same kinds of division of "emotional" and "mechanical" intelligence by gender as we do.

brains change in response to experiences, so experiments done on adult men and women in the US don't tell us much about "innate" differences.

This article talks a little a out it: http://www.apa.org/monitor/2010/11/neuroscience.aspx

I am not saying that boys and girls are not different. I am saying that what makes them different can't be entirely reduced to "nature" - we treats boys and girls differently (we collectively) and the interaction between nature and nurture is complicated.

Blogs like the one in the link below do a disservice to our sons and daughters alike, making boys who are nurturing and girls who are mechanically minded or mathematically talented seem less natural.

Plus it just downright ticked me off on the boys are better at math thing. Sorry no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaLove88
This thread is getting a little out of control if you ask me. GGirls tend to be more sensitive than boys. Its a known thing, not anything new. Common human nature is not sexism. Not every boy is the exact same, obviously here is one article upon MANY that you can find about this. http://www.mastersofhealthcare.com/blog/2009/10-big-differences-between-mens-and-womens-brains/

Advertisement

Last edited by jamieism; 03-24-2013 at 09:28 AM.
jamieism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #42
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love Jamie.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #43
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma1879
I love Jamie.
thanks!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #44
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: When to stop babying your babies??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieism View Post
First of all, I am relieved that my post wasn't what the OP found offensive.

But regarding the link below... This is junk. It mixes findings from pseudo-science blog posts (!) and experiments done on adult men and women with culturally specific findings that make them seem "natural." The fact that girls lower performance in math is not found in younger children but emerges later and is deeply influenced by social treatment has been well documented (for example: http://www.livescience.com/7349-top-...h-science.html). Other cultures do not find the same kinds of division of "emotional" and "mechanical" intelligence by gender as we do.

brains change in response to experiences, so experiments done on adult men and women in the US don't tell us much about "innate" differences.

This article talks a little a out it: http://www.apa.org/monitor/2010/11/neuroscience.aspx

I am not saying that boys and girls are not different. I am saying that what makes them different can't be entirely reduced to "nature" - we treats boys and girls differently (we collectively) and the interaction between nature and nurture is complicated.

Blogs like the one in the link below do a disservice to our sons and daughters alike, making boys who are nurturing and girls who are mechanically minded or mathematically talented seem less natural.

Plus it just downright ticked me off on the boys are better at math thing. Sorry no.
Sorry no? Ummm do you have a degree and scientific evidence to prove what you "think"? I don't think you have the authority to change what a medical blog states with references. Not trying to be rude but you can THINK what you want. We EACH have our own opinions and reading material to defy what we chose to believe. To each his own. I'm raising a dirt biker and a dancer. She also rides and so do I. But I'm.not one to make my boys do dance. (I'll.prob get flamed for this but I don't give a sh**. ) And he shows no interest. Boys are boys girls are girls. They are NOT one in the same. And I think.when people think.this way it gets to confusing for both parent and child. "Sissy" can mean many different things as we've defined many times on this thread. Just like an other word. Its all in how people take it and defy it. EVERYONE will have a different outlook as we are al not the same.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #45
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

A medical blog isn't really a credible reference.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #46
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma1879 View Post
A medical blog isn't really a credible reference.
Experts and psychologists aren't credible?

And like I said this is one upon MANY references/articles to what I stated. I did a quick search and came upon this one.

Last edited by SamanthaLove88; 03-24-2013 at 11:12 AM.
SamanthaLove88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #47
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

They might be. Anyone can publish a blog. I only consider information from peer reviewed journals, but am willing to read studied and results that don't get published as well.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #48
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma1879 View Post
They might be. Anyone can publish a blog. I only consider information from peer reviewed journals, but am willing to read studied and results that don't get published as well.
I'm.mobile in the middle.of a muddy dirt bike race, not at my computer or a library or else I'd send more. This is a long going debate. Finding references and credible sources of this topic would be beyond extremely easy.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #49
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Gotta love diaper swappers, the only place where ANYTHING can be a cause to argue, where googles dictionary is coveted above oxford and webster, but a medical journal isn't considered a creditable source. Thanks to all who offered advice, it definitely gives me something to think about. and thanks for miss Samantha for sticking up for me!
I have to agree that boys are boys and girls are girls! But I don't feel the need to defend myself to people who aren't raising my children, so ill just leave it at that.

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 03-24-2013 at 11:42 AM.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #50
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was saying a medical blog isn't necessarily credible. Anyone can say they are an expert and start a blog.