Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #21
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: Pertussis Vaccine

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Do they not give just the tetanus by itself?
You can at certain places but not at my hopspital, they said the do not even carry it... I dont think I would get it anyways - well that is until something started to stiffen up

Advertisement

CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #22
Ellasundies
Registered Users

My kids came down with wc within months of their last booster. At that time they were fully vaxed but the vax did nothing to protect them. They had pretty severe cases. . It's not a vax I trust to work at all.

I would also like to say that antibiotics will do nothing to protect you from the illness. The only thing it can do is stop you from being contagious a little earlier then normal IF you catch it quickly enough.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #23
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies
My kids came down with wc within months of their last booster. At that time they were fully vaxed but the vax did nothing to protect them. They had pretty severe cases. . It's not a vax I trust to work at all.

I would also like to say that antibiotics will do nothing to protect you from the illness. The only thing it can do is stop you from being contagious a little earlier then normal IF you catch it quickly enough.
Well, you have your experience and I have mine. I'm just trying to add to the conversation. Antibiotics don't protect you from the bacteria that causes it, you are right, but they DO help speed recovery. I am speaking from experience so this is not just theory I'm throwing out. I can tell you're very passionate about your stance, but I'd like moms to know my experience/perspective as well.
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #24
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Did not get it with any of my pregnancies. We have had WC go through our family, so my children have a natural immunity to the disease.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #25
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No vaccines in either pregnancy or afterwards for me. They didn't even offer it with my first, and I knew better with my second to decline it. Study after study shows that the pertussis vaccine is very ineffective. It's not worth the risk of vaccination imo.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #26
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama View Post
The pertussis vaccine has tetantus shot in it... Most people think you get tetanus from rusty nails but really it is from contaminated soil - so garden is a risk (and I bite my nails leaving open sores... bad, I know!). Of course if you step on a dirty, rusty farm nail on the ground it is probably pretty contaminated too
Tetanus can only live in an anaerobic environment, so simple gardening is not risky. As long as a wound is able to be cleaned and opened, there is little risk of infection with tetanus. This is why puncture wounds are more worrisome.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #27
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wont be getting it during pregnancy or after.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #28
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would never get a vaccine while pregnant. *IF* I thought this vax was needed or even slightly effective, I'd at least wait until I had the baby.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:05 AM   #29
maddies.mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbailey89 View Post
I would never get a vaccine while pregnant. *IF* I thought this vax was needed or even slightly effective, I'd at least wait until I had the baby.
maddies.mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #30
saturn
Registered Users

I got the vax during pregnancy, it was what my dr recommended. If you wait until after delivery, you won't develop the protective immune response until after the first few weeks of the baby's life when they are the most vulnerable. Yes, it's not a perfect vaccine, but it's the best preventative measure available. Even if you have pertussis disease, your immunity wanes quickly, so it's tough for a vaccine to offer long lasting protection. Usually the "it's not effective" argument is only used by people who would reject the vaccine regardless.
Vaccines are extremely well studied and the benefits far outweigh the risks. I would feel way less safe if I or my baby was unvaccinated. Pertussis in a baby is horrible!
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote