Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone ever do an "Outside Isles Only" challenge at the grocery

I'm considering for the sake of health and thriftiness of challenging myself/my family to only shopping the outside isles of the grocery store (with a few exceptions) for a month and beyond. Anyone else done this or up to the challenge?

My few exceptions will be peanut butter, jelly, salad dressing, spices/herbs, rice (already have in bulk), whole wheat spaghetti (also on hand), rolled oats (on hand in bulk), beans, and nuts. Maybe a couple of others that I haven't thought of.

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anyone ever do an "Outside Isles Only" challenge at the grocery

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean, exactly. I always thought that meant basically avoiding prepackaged/already made items not spices and grains and beans. Still, it sounds like if you're in the right frame of mind it could be fun & really stretch your creativity in the kitchen. Lately, I've been on a make it myself kick. I made almond butter, mayonnaise, freezer jam, chocolate syrup, horchata, and hummus (starting with dried beans) in addition to the stuff I usually cook (we eat most meals at home together). It's been fun but I'm not entirely sure I can keep up with it all the time. I'm not good at planning ahead. At all. Still, I'd be interested in hearing about your experiment and how it goes. Good luck!!
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is how I try to shop normally. Its great-I wish you luck. Don't forgot sugar, flour, and stuff like toilet paper and other toiletries.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

That is my typical way of shopping. I don't hit the inner isles at the store unless I need peanut butter or baking supplies.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do :-) Dh and the kids are omnivores and I'm a vegetarian, ds2 is egg/dairy free
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thats a great idea! SO will never go for it but I'm going to try to get my stuff that way.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
Dahlia64
Banned

This would totally work for us! LOL! The outside ailes consist of the dairy and frozen aisle...the bread and PB...the fruit and veggie...the deals of the week and most important...the meat isle! LOL!
Dahlia64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:22 AM   #8
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hac1224
I'm considering for the sake of health and thriftiness of challenging myself/my family to only shopping the outside isles of the grocery store (with a few exceptions) for a month and beyond. Anyone else done this or up to the challenge?

My few exceptions will be peanut butter, jelly, salad dressing, spices/herbs, rice (already have in bulk), whole wheat spaghetti (also on hand), rolled oats (on hand in bulk), beans, and nuts. Maybe a couple of others that I haven't thought of.
This is how I shop. The only inner aisle items I buy are olive oil, vinegar, spices, pickles, rice/quinoa/pasta, tomato paste and tuna (only canned items I buy), almond and rice milk, and haba/household items. I make our sauces, spreads, and condiments, and I don't buy anything packaged. Everything is produce, dairy/refrigerated, frozen, or meat
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I did something very similar last summer. I made a goal that between memorial day and halloween - when the farmers market runs - i was NOT going to the grocery. I did send DH for staples like flour, oil, oats, pasta. But meat, all produce, dairy, and grain items were off limits.
The only significant fails i recall were hot dog buns - mine sucked - and the week of the derecho storm when everything in the house went bad. That was the only time I broke my promise. I am planning to do the same thing this year, but must find an acceptable hot dog roll substitute!
Eta it was NOT necessarily thrifty per se - FM has FAB chocolate and bakery vendors but I felt it was much healthier and we were supporting local businesses.

Last edited by DottieHarley; 03-24-2013 at 11:18 AM.
DottieHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley View Post
I did something very similar last summer. I made a goal that between memorial day and halloween - when the farmers market runs - i was NOT going to the grocery. I did send DH for staples like flour, oil, oats, pasta. But meat, all produce, dairy, and grain items were off limits.
The only significant fails i recall were hot dog buns - mine sucked - and the week of the derecho storm when everything in the house went bad. That was the only time I broke my promise. I am planning to do the same thing this year, but must find an acceptable hot dog roll substitute!
Eta it was NOT necessarily thrifty per se - FM has FAB chocolate and bakery vendors but I felt it was much healthier and we were supporting local businesses.
I like that idea, only our tiny town farmer's market doesn't have meat. My goal for the summer is to do similar with food only mostly use from our own garden if it does well.

I'm going to do the grocery store challenge more for next month because my food budget this month is almost gone. Instead, this month will be finished out with a pantry and freezer challenge.