Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Bread maker?

Does anyone use a bread maker and if so do you think it saves you money? I saw one on craigslist for 20$ and I am wondering if we should give it a try to save money, the all natural bread we buy is $2.50 a loaf and we go through at least 2 a week.

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommadeeof4+
Does anyone use a bread maker and if so do you think it saves you money? I saw one on craigslist for 20$ and I am wondering if we should give it a try to save money, the all natural bread we buy is $2.50 a loaf and we go through at least 2 a week.
We saved per loaf when I used to make bread, but we ate waaaay more homemade bread, so I don't know how much it actually saved money. Partly because we could never slice it as thin as store bought, so we didn't get as many slices per loaf, but also because it was soooo yummy and fresh. We are mostly gluten free now, so I don't make it anymore, but the taste factor alone is worth it, IMO.
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bread maker?

Good to know, thanks! How did you store the bread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988 View Post
We saved per loaf when I used to make bread, but we ate waaaay more homemade bread, so I don't know how much it actually saved money. Partly because we could never slice it as thin as store bought, so we didn't get as many slices per loaf, but also because it was soooo yummy and fresh. We are mostly gluten free now, so I don't make it anymore, but the taste factor alone is worth it, IMO.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Love my bread machine. We use it for bread , rolls, pizza dough, and sweet.breads . So I feel I save a ton verses store bought I make bread 2x a week and then store in ziploc bags. I freeze my dough until it's needed.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I don't have a bread maker, but I do bake our bread. It saves money. I don't know how much, but it does. After awhile, the novelty of it fades and you don't go through it so fast.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Perfectgran
Registered Users

I don't like bread machine bread, too much air from the fast acting yeast and it just doesn't have the texture we like. I would recommend you look up on Youtube Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. I have been using their method and recipes for the last 3 years and I love that I don't have to do a ton of kneading and that it is so quick and easy to mix up and have on hand to bake as needed. It is a lot cheaper than bread from the store.
Perfectgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
mlgurney
Registered Users
seller
seller

This makes me want to get out my bread maker and give it another try!
mlgurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Amandamama
Registered Users

I've found ours for $5ish at garage sales. I use it mainly to mix my breads and rolls, & pizza dough, but actually do the baking in the oven. Love it. And I do have it bake bread in the summer when I don't want to run the oven
Amandamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Maryclothdiapered
Registered Users

I got mine for $4 at Goodwill. I would check there first. I sort of really like it but am also torn. It is easy and the bread tastes far superior, but like pp said, I cannot slice it thin enough for sandwiches. It just ends up falling apart if less than an inch or so thick. So then I'm only getting maybe 3-4 (super bready) sandwiches from each loaf. If you mostly use bread for sandwiches like us, you may find it doesn't save money...you just eat more. Also, no one in the family seems to want it after the first few hours. It gets dried out quickly. I store it in re-usable ziplock containers.,,but it still dries out. So it's like as soon as it is done, I'm walking around trying to convince everyone to eat it, and often they are less than enthused. I say go for it if you can get one for super cheap, that way you are not out much money if it doesn't work for you. Also bread flour is about double the cost of regular flour. Not sure how that regular flour couldn't work, though.
Maryclothdiapered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
Hoping2BaMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I got one at Goodwill several years ago for $10. Still haven't used it yet, but I really want to!