Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Need thrifty shopping ideas and advice

So we are moving again!

We are moving to a better area, top schools, and a slightly more exp home. We will have access to stores that I like and the things that I need.

The grocery budget has always been an issue for me. Where we live currently where the Walmart is actually more exp than if I bought the same items (generic) from whole foods. But WF was 2 hrs away so only went up there when we were heading that way anyway.
We had no organic anything in our town and can not get anything even slightly healthy

What I will have access to that I did not have before (actually drove hours to)-Organic farms/csas, farmers markets, target, earth fair (a smaller version of whole foods) Publix, health stores, restaurants, and many chain drugstores. I would have to look to see if they have big box stores and some of the other stores alot of moms on here talk about.

What I am looking for

To save money on all personal health and toiletres. We are not outragous with our purchases in this area but I know there can be more savings. I typically do not buy paper towels but I do like to have them on hand for occasion. We do do toilet paper and will not go paperless in this area unless we get a toilet that has the spray option--not a diaper sprayer they are too cold.

We typically use all the same soap and shampoo last us 2-3 months. Face for me is more exp but last time I needed a new face wash was early december.

Household--I sometimes make my own but I like Bio-kleen and Mrs Meyers and any other eco-friendly household cleaner.

Laundry-I use charlies but if I can find country save locally I will try that. I am not interested at the moment making my own detergent but it will be something we do down the line.

For food we are very healthy eaters and want to become even stricter in this area. DH works for non for profits and we works with someone who is over organic farms so we feel we can get a good price on this even better than how low it already is. We are also looking at an organic meat farm that has a share of $30 a week--$34 with eggs (but that pick up will be 30 min away).

Our neighborhood would have a community garden but we are not allowed to have a garden in our backyard. But I am a rebel and plan on getting nice planters and growing some veggies and herbs. What does well in planters?

I try not to do boxes but sometimes with 3 kiddos it gets hard and I get cereal and annies bunnies.

We have 3 rescue dogs and want to cut some costs there although I feel we are doing ok.

We typically spend $600-$700 on groceries and that is with a 9% sales tax. I know I can do better.

Is it worth getting a Target cc and getting the 10% savings--we will pay it off--we are actually very strict with these things.

With all the info I gave you what would be your advice to me.

So sorry it is so long and thank you if you made it this far.

Our goal is to live nice a simple--we already have a no clutter household but we also want to get the house paid off and and pay cars with cash from now on. I do follow DR just to let you know that.

Advertisement

dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Shellyluwho
Registered Users
seller

Do you have a CVS locally? I buy almost 100% of our toilet paper, wipes, health, and beauty items at CVS for a fraction of what it costs at Wal Mart. It takes a bit of planning to find coupons, etc. I highly recommend finding a deal website for your region (mine is Southern Savers) and find your favorite stores and her coupon match-ups.

My biggest word of advice is to stock up when ever you find a great price ob items you need. We have enough toothpaste to last us for 6 months. And it was free.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need thrifty shopping ideas and advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellyluwho View Post
Do you have a CVS locally? I buy almost 100% of our toilet paper, wipes, health, and beauty items at CVS for a fraction of what it costs at Wal Mart. It takes a bit of planning to find coupons, etc. I highly recommend finding a deal website for your region (mine is Southern Savers) and find your favorite stores and her coupon match-ups.

My biggest word of advice is to stock up when ever you find a great price ob items you need. We have enough toothpaste to last us for 6 months. And it was free.
I will. I think my site would be southern savers also I have to check it out.

Thank you for the tips!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

If you don't wind up having drug stores nearby you might want to go to a $ store when you are in the area of one and stock up on toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc. for a year in case you aren't in the area of one again within that time. Remember that Dollar Tree also accepts MFQ's. That can make things even lower priced especially if you can get your hands on multiple coupons.

(I'm sure there are other items that you could stock up on like that at the $ store but I'm drawing a blank, maybe others could chime in on that! )
threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
You don't have to get the target credit card; they have the same option as a debit card that gets deducted straight from your bank account. They don't advertise it, but my cousin works in the corporate offices and told me about it. Same application, same discount, same benefits, just debit not credit. Great savings. We love ours.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laila View Post
You don't have to get the target credit card; they have the same option as a debit card that gets deducted straight from your bank account. They don't advertise it, but my cousin works in the corporate offices and told me about it. Same application, same discount, same benefits, just debit not credit. Great savings. We love ours.
And that works with any bank or does it have to be a specific bank?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by threekstrio View Post
If you don't wind up having drug stores nearby you might want to go to a $ store when you are in the area of one and stock up on toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc. for a year in case you aren't in the area of one again within that time. Remember that Dollar Tree also accepts MFQ's. That can make things even lower priced especially if you can get your hands on multiple coupons.

(I'm sure there are other items that you could stock up on like that at the $ store but I'm drawing a blank, maybe others could chime in on that! )
Like dollar tree or dollar general?

I will check it out.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma

And that works with any bank or does it have to be a specific bank?
Any bank. I do know if you spend over a certain amount you have to do a separate transaction. My bank (BofA) allows $200 at a time, which I go over sometimes. So I just tell the teller to stop at $200 and then we ring up the rest on a separate transaction. You can use your debit card as much as you want, but just can't go over $200 in one transaction. ;-)