Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
Crunchy Kaley
Registered Users

I feel like this is such a huge decision!

Hi Ladies,

A new opportunity has opened up and I feel like I change my mind daily.

I am a nurse and work in case management. My hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 to 4:30 with no call, these hours are nearly unheard of in nursing. I really do enjoy my job and feel like I am helping a lot of people.

When I was on maternity leave I made up my mind that I wanted to work part time and was set on this. My husband supported my decision with the goal to eliminate daycare entirely. After returning to work I spoke with my old boss in intensive care and she offered me a part time position where I could choose anywhere from 20-50% or 20-40 hours per 2 week pay period.

I am excited with this opportunity but also feel incredibly torn. When I am home with my LO I feel I should absolutely stay home and care for him but as soon as I get to work I start questioning my decision. Should I keep my job that I enjoy and has great hours or should I return to shift work? I really like the ICU team, they are a great bunch of co-workers, but I am not overly passionate about being an ICU nurse. I do feel more passionate about my job now and the only thing I dread about it is dropping my little guy off at daycare.

To make the decision harder I definetely make enough money to justify daycare. My husband is ok with the pay cut and would wants me to stay home but isn't pushing me either way.

I am so afraid I will make the wrong decision and regret it. Please provide feedback, especially if you have had a similar experience!

Advertisement

Crunchy Kaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Bethanydear
Registered Users
seller

Re: I feel like this is such a huge decision!

Can you do the part time case management and prn bedside? Not sure how demanding your prn requirements are, but if they are doable, that would be a good way of keeping your toe in the door should you need or want to return to either full time.
Bethanydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
ccserrano
Registered Users
seller

I would stay in case management. Especially if that's what you enjoy more. Try going back and if you find that bringing you LO to daycare is really a sticking point you can then choose to stay home. But I feel if you don't try you won't know and may always wonder and what if yourself .
ccserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
v1cky84
Registered Users
seller

Re: I feel like this is such a huge decision!

I think you should consider doing case management part time if you enjoy it so much. That way you can spend more time with LO at home & also continue to work and keep up your skills.
I personally think it's hard to work in the ICU (or any job, really) if you're not that passionate about it...you will end up hating & dreading going to work. ICU can also be really exhausting mentally & physically.
v1cky84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm a nurse and have an 8-5 job in a hospital. The thing is, if u give up that spot it could be years until someone else quits and u can work. I would try to work in case management. Once you start u will get a feeling if it feels right. Working prn can be a pain. Will you have to work weekends and holidays again? I have to do done but it's not like when I worked the floor.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
Crunchy Kaley
Registered Users

I have already gone back to the case management position and have been doing it for about 2 weeks now. I hate dropping him off at daycare and am strongly considering the part time opportunity. Going part time in case management isn't an option because I am the only person in this position and need to be available in clinic and inpatient. I am the only wound nurse in our hospital so I provide dressing recommendations and complete dressing changes. I generally see between 5-10 patients per day while providing staff education, and heading two committees. If I take the ICU position I will work one 8 hour shift and one 12 hour shift every 2 weeks. It is self scheduling so you aren't required to work a set number of weekends or holidays and if you request a date off it is almost always granted.
Crunchy Kaley is offline   Reply With Quote