Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

What to wear? EC/PT

I'm not sure if we are crossing the line from EC into potty training yet or not, but I started with EC in mind so I'll keep it that way. We have never done EC fulltime, but right now my son is very much into using the potty. He is 19 months old.

If I let him go naked he will sit on the potty all on his own and pee and sometimes poop. He still doesn't tell me if he needs to go though, he just goes. He also can't remove underwear by himself. He can remove diapers, he removes them all the time so he only wears them if I put him in shorts or a onesie.

I have two pairs of training pants but they are pretty much the same as underwear to him. He can't take them off without my help and he doesn't ask for my help. He will sit on the potty in his underwear and go into the underwear unless I remove them for him.

Should I get him some pants that split down the middle so that he can continue to pee when he needs to or continue to let him go naked around the house? Where can I buy them? Or, should I try to sew them myself? I'm not very good at sewing but I'm trying to learn and always looking for easy beginner projects. Where could I get a pattern?

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Re: What to wear? EC/PT

Just use baby legs and let him go nakey..
ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
AndreaOlson
Registered Users

Even though I'm an EC educator, at 19 months, I'd recommend switching from EC to a non-coercive form of potty training that my friend teaches at http://jamieglowacki.com - she has a section in there about what to do if you've done some EC with your child in the past. I think it might be a perfect fit for what you're going through!! I would highly discourage naked all the time and split crotch pants. He is fully capable of learning how to engage in pottying himself at this age. Those things will likely encourage him to never be fully trained (ie: potty himself when he is wearing clothing). I know it's probably not the advice that you were looking for, but anyone with a child over 18 months I refer over to her and I recommend against continuing EC. This window is completely golden. Most kids are done in 7 days with her process. Good luck!!
AndreaOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

Thanks - I will look into it.

Actually today we were at a story hour and he had on a diaper underneath a romper suit. He started pulling at the romper suit and unbuttoned the snaps on his diaper while dancing and said weewee. I took him to the bathroom, put him on the toilet and he peed. Diaper was dry so I put it back on. When we got home he was still dry and had a pee in the potty before bedtime.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Hmm, my experience and those of everyone else I know who has ECed is completely different. There is a fairly strong EC community here (I'm a second generation ECer myself - my mom ECed 5 of us) and the children who ran around nakey at this age, by two were perfectly comfortable going pottying independently. Itsy is in training pants during the day but that's because I was not as consistent with EC for the first several months of this pregnancy as I would wish. If the child sits on the potty independently when naked I don't see any reason to complicate matters.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

But, Andrea, I did just order that ebook for myself. I think given how lax I've been about ECing Itsy I may as well just take some time to potty train her.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #7
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

The main reason why we do so much naked time is the heat, but I'm hoping it will cool down soon after we get more rain. My son had actually been boycotting the potty up until a few months ago so we weren't doing any EC at all. One really hot day we were sitting in his room playing and the potty was in the corner. It was so hot so I took his diaper off and put some prefolds on the floor. It took me completely by surprise when he just stood up, walked over to the potty in the corner and sat on it and pooped.

That was what got us ECing again, but he seems to be leading the way and I want to keep him going. If I'm not careful though he poops on the floor so I'm not sure how much control he has over it.

I was potty trained around 20 months according to my mom. I asked her what she did and she said "the nanny did it."
Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

I second the recommendation for "Oh Crap Potty Training." Yeah, it's inconvenient to potty train at any time, but seize this opportunity now!
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

Just an update - we have been in underwear for nearly a week! #2 can be an issue but he is so good about telling me when he needs to do #1!!! And underwear catches the #2 so it really isn't that much worse than cleaning a cloth diaper. Still doing diapers at naptime and overnight. Sometimes he wakes up dry though.

And to make things crazier - we started while on vacation. I packed diapers and underwear. My son kicked me while trying to put a diaper on him so I said fine, no diapers and he let me put the underwear on him instead. He loves picking it out. Once he wanted to wear two pairs at once. We got him to pee in a bunch of different toilets at gas stations and he never once peed in the car seat (did poop though but it didn't escape).

I've got the teachers at his daycare on board and he is doing great there also!
Old 04-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

That's great! Hopefully you'll have a PTed little one soon