Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
disneylindsay
Registered Users
seller

Emergency kit

Who has diapers in their emergency Kit?

If so what kinds do you have?

I found a great deal at Meijer in Port Huron Mi, yesterday on Flour sack towels. They were originally 5 in a pack for 4.99 and I got them for 3.99....to me that is a great deal, so I bought 4 packages, and I plan on washing them up and putting them in my emergency kit with a few covers!
With all of the disasters around the world, you just never know what could happen.

would you rather have cloth in an emergency or would you stock up on some disposables?

I think flat would be my best option, and they would wash out by hand pretty good and dry pretty good too. Your thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
TheCoach'sWife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have flour sack towels and some thirsties covers in my emergency bag. I also keep formula, bottles, and season appropriate clothes for each family member. I also keep 2 cases of water JIC. This and peanut butter, granola, crackers, and mre's.

After living in an area severely effected by Katrina I will never again be caught in a situation where I can't meet basic needs.

Edited to include that flats are way easier because you don't have to worry so much about sizing, no need to keep buying a pack of sposies in each size.

Last edited by TheCoach'sWife; 03-25-2013 at 07:24 AM.
TheCoach'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
disneylindsay
Registered Users
seller

Re: Emergency kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach'sWife View Post
I have flour sack towels and some thirsties covers in my emergency bag. I also keep formula, bottles, and season appropriate clothes for each family member. I also keep 2 cases of water JIC. This and peanut butter, granola, crackers, and mre's.

After living in an area severely effected by Katrina I will never again be caught in a situation where I can't meet basic needs.

Edited to include that flats are way easier because you don't have to worry so much about sizing, no need to keep buying a pack of sposies in each size.
You are absolutely right, so many people were caught unprepared...I have lots in the house, but am putting together a rubbermaid tote with the essentials in it!
I do not live in an area that is prone to natural disasters, but anything is possible, and I too do not want to be unable to meet the basic needs.

I think flats are a great option, to have in a kit!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yup, when DD was in diapers, we had Sam's Club flour sack towels in our emergency kit. They are also great because they replace blankets, towels, handkerchiefs, sieves...so many uses!

Another trick - instead of clothes for every different person, just get a pack of long-sleeve tees in a size that will fit the *largest* person in the family. Everyone else can wear them tyed or rolled.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

I have sposies in my emergency kit because there's no way of knowing if there would be water for washing the diapers. I keep extra flats and covers in the car though in case the car breaks down and I didn't pack enough diapers in the diaper bag.
ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Kait5757
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh my gosh I hadn't thought of that! I am going to get some flats for my emergency kit. Probably be easiest!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I keep sposies in my emergency kit. The types of emergencies we have had usually involve a loss of power and occasionally disruptions in water supply. No way I want a bunch of cloth diapers around that I can't wash!

That said, I do keep emergency cloth dipes in the car (and plenty at home!) in the event we're stuck somewhere or stuck at home.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
disneylindsay
Registered Users
seller

Great ideas about keeping an emergency stash in the car! I will do that also!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I have about 5 OS fitteds and 3-4 flats in a bag in the car for emergencies. I think flats are the best option, unless I didn't have a way to fasten it, or have a cover, then I would just use my fitteds without a cover. In a true emergency, I wouldn't freak out about it, though, I would just do EC.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
I have about 5 OS fitteds and 3-4 flats in a bag in the car for emergencies. I think flats are the best option, unless I didn't have a way to fasten it, or have a cover, then I would just use my fitteds without a cover. In a true emergency, I wouldn't freak out about it, though, I would just do EC.
Just for fun, I once tied a flat on DD. So fastening without a fastener can be done, and it worked just fine even if it looked a bit odd.