Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mini Minimalist Challenge: 3/25-3/29

Posting like this will help me see it all in one place.

_DONE-Monday 3.25.13: Purge 5 "junk drawer" items.- DONE

DONE-Tuesday 3.26.13: Purge 5 items from your kitchen drawers.- DONE

Wednesday 3.27.13: Purge 5 toys (or other kid items, such as books, craft items, etc.).

Thursday 3.28.13: Purge 5 items from media and games. DVDs, CDs, VHS tapes, video games, board games, card games, etc. If something has been outgrown or is unloved or is missing pieces, pass it along or toss it. This is a good time to reorganize what you're keeping, too.

Friday 3.29.13: Your choice! Purge 5 items from a problem area. Focus on an area that you've been procrastinating on, that you pretend doesn't exist, that has gotten out of control, or that feels like it is too big for you to tackle because it overwhelms you. We can do it.

DONE BONUS TASK #1: Tackle a pile of stuff in your home. -DONE PUT AWAY THE PILE OF PAPERS AND TOOK CARE OF THEM ON THE KITCHEN COUNTER.

DONE BONUS TASK #2: Wash some of the stuff that gets forgotten- DONE- my mom scrubbed the bathroom today and washed all of my rugs when she did it. So I didn't do it, but it did get done.

BONUS TASK #3: Carve out some time for yourself this week. Have coffee with a friend, work on a craft project, read a book in the bathtub, go get a pedicure in preparation for sandal season. Do something special for yourself that you don't normally do on a daily or weekly basis.

Advertisement

Last edited by slimy72; 03-26-2013 at 02:24 PM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

So I tried to do kitchen drawers. They are pretty minimal. And I use everything. So instead I applied for 3 jobs. I did go through the drawers though. And checked to make sure no mold on bread or anything. Felt good to see empty drawers to begin with. (I did a major purge of them a few weeks ago. And am keeping them cleaned out).
Due with #2 2/14/16
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did Kitchen Drawers. Didn't find much I don't use. Found a pampered chef crinkle cutter thingy. And some extra medicine cups and broken plastic silverware. Not a lot else. I should do the tupperware lid drawer. Btt I can't do it while my mom is here. She complains that I never have enough containers, and has been saving yogurt and cottage cheese tubs since she got here. So once she goes home in a few weeks I'll have plenty more to purge. So if we could put containers on the list for about 2-3 weeks from now, that would be super helpful.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
TheCoach'sWife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I tossed a phone book (I'm pretty sure it was 5+ years old anyways) , batteries for a dog collar for a fence we don't even have any more, and a bunch of miscellaneous crap that the kids have drug in. I also found some random measuring cups in the back of the drawer I don't use. I also sent a small food processor home with my MIL. I recently got an immersion blender that has an attachment for the same purpose. I tossed the plug to a skillet that broke a few weeks ago.

TheCoach'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 AM   #15
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArronDalesMama View Post
So I tried to do kitchen drawers. They are pretty minimal. And I use everything. So instead I applied for 3 jobs. I did go through the drawers though. And checked to make sure no mold on bread or anything. Felt good to see empty drawers to begin with. (I did a major purge of them a few weeks ago. And am keeping them cleaned out).
It's always a good thing when you can't do a challenge because there isn't anything to purge! It's always good to just check occasionally, too. Good luck with the jobs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
Did Kitchen Drawers. Didn't find much I don't use. Found a pampered chef crinkle cutter thingy. And some extra medicine cups and broken plastic silverware. Not a lot else. I should do the tupperware lid drawer. Btt I can't do it while my mom is here. She complains that I never have enough containers, and has been saving yogurt and cottage cheese tubs since she got here. So once she goes home in a few weeks I'll have plenty more to purge. So if we could put containers on the list for about 2-3 weeks from now, that would be super helpful.
Too funny! Just give me a reminder when she's gone and I ask for suggestions, that's a good one anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach'sWife View Post
I tossed a phone book (I'm pretty sure it was 5+ years old anyways) , batteries for a dog collar for a fence we don't even have any more, and a bunch of miscellaneous crap that the kids have drug in. I also found some random measuring cups in the back of the drawer I don't use. I also sent a small food processor home with my MIL. I recently got an immersion blender that has an attachment for the same purpose. I tossed the plug to a skillet that broke a few weeks ago.
Great job! We just got a new phone book the other day, it's still on my front porch. I need to remember to put it in the recycling bin later. I wish I could purge our immersion blender, DH got it for Christmas (in 2011, not a few months ago) and it still hasn't been used. I tried to purge it but he said no, haha.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:46 AM   #16
melanalyus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cleaned junk drawer, threw away almost everything. Yesterday I threw away most of our phone books. We live in a small community and get every neighboring community's phone book. I google phone numbers. Away they went!

Then got inspired to go through medicine cabinet. I am a pharmacist. I am well aware that you should not keep expired meds. Shame on me. Away went about 15% of the stuff, and I re-arranged the kids medications higher up so they are safe. Again, shame on me.

I will do my kitchen drawers this morning.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh. Second night in a row that DD (almost 8 months old) was up all night. I'm so tired today! I finally came downstairs at 2:40am just to try to avoid waking DS up (and, let's face it, it's easier to stay awake when you can have some coffee and watch Netflix). DH was able to let me sleep for 2 hours this morning, but it's going to be difficult to find the energy today!

I haven't really done any of the challenges yet this week, so I need to start. I've purged some random things and worked a bit on some "piles" that I have going. Yesterday I washed the bathmat when I did towel laundry, and last night I washed the dog's stuff. It's the dryer right now. I have been doing laundry non-stop the past few days, because I've had a lot of bedding to do because of the new bed situations... so other stuff has piled up. I just started another load, here's hoping I can put a good dent in the laundry today.

But, for now, I'm eating bunny grahams and drinking coffee and watching The Price is Right with DS.

2,014 items in 2014?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #18
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh. Second night in a row that DD (almost 8 months old) was up all night. I'm so tired today! I finally came downstairs at 2:40am just to try to avoid waking DS up (and, let's face it, it's easier to stay awake when you can have some coffee and watch Netflix). DH was able to let me sleep for 2 hours this morning, but it's going to be difficult to find the energy today!

I haven't really done any of the challenges yet this week, so I need to start. I've purged some random things and worked a bit on some "piles" that I have going. Yesterday I washed the bathmat when I did towel laundry, and last night I washed the dog's stuff. It's the dryer right now. I have been doing laundry non-stop the past few days, because I've had a lot of bedding to do because of the new bed situations... so other stuff has piled up. I just started another load, here's hoping I can put a good dent in the laundry today.

But, for now, I'm eating bunny grahams and drinking coffee and watching The Price is Right with DS.

2,014 items in 2014?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #19
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not sleeping is so hard! Hope she gives you a break tonight. I'm having a hard time with today's challenge. My mom is here, and she keeps telling me that getting rid of stuff is not the answer to keeping my house clean and I need to find other ways to get people to pitch in. Well I agree that DH and DS need to help more, having less stuff IS part of the solution. She will freak out if I start pitching his toys this morning while he's at a play date. The ladies are church are so awesome. They wanted to bring me a few meals after my surgery but because of Dh's celiacs I'm really not comfortable having anyone else cook for him, besides the fact that my mom can't have dairy. There's nothing like someone asking if they can bring you diner and you say sure, but no dairy, no gluten, and I need you to scrub everything in your kitchen that has ever touched gluten and not use any porus utensils or cookwear. No thanks, we'll just take care of it. BUT they kept asking what they could do and one lady (who is also my next door neighbor) offered to take my son for a few hours one day to play with her foster son so I could have a few hours of quiet. I agreed of course! What a boring spring break for my little guy to just sit at home while mommy lays on the couch! Well, she mentioned it to another lady at church and the next day the two of them brought me a play date schedule for the entire week. He has one everyday at a different person's home from 10am-1pm, and they will all pick him up and drop him back off! I about cried when they gave it to me. It's made the week so nice, and my DS is on cloud 9 getting to play with friends from church all week. SO, I've been trying to use 30 min. of the time he's gone to have my "up" time and declutter. Which is great, as long as my mom is busy and doesn't see what I'm up to. Yesterday I waited until she went out to feed the lambs their bottles (which takes about 15 min.) to hurry and do the kitchen drawers. Not sure how I'm going to work it in today. I have two toys already hidden in my head board. I put them there a month ago to make sure DS didn't ask for them back before getting them gone. It's a buzz light year figure and a slinky dog that he got for Christmas two years ago. He never plays with them. I wonder if I should try listing them on my yard sale group. I just don't know how I'll get them out of here with out DS seeing them and crying that he wants them back.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
loganzmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
Not sleeping is so hard! Hope she gives you a break tonight. I'm having a hard time with today's challenge. My mom is here, and she keeps telling me that getting rid of stuff is not the answer to keeping my house clean and I need to find other ways to get people to pitch in. Well I agree that DH and DS need to help more, having less stuff IS part of the solution. She will freak out if I start pitching his toys this morning while he's at a play date. The ladies are church are so awesome. They wanted to bring me a few meals after my surgery but because of Dh's celiacs I'm really not comfortable having anyone else cook for him, besides the fact that my mom can't have dairy. There's nothing like someone asking if they can bring you diner and you say sure, but no dairy, no gluten, and I need you to scrub everything in your kitchen that has ever touched gluten and not use any porus utensils or cookwear. No thanks, we'll just take care of it. BUT they kept asking what they could do and one lady (who is also my next door neighbor) offered to take my son for a few hours one day to play with her foster son so I could have a few hours of quiet. I agreed of course! What a boring spring break for my little guy to just sit at home while mommy lays on the couch! Well, she mentioned it to another lady at church and the next day the two of them brought me a play date schedule for the entire week. He has one everyday at a different person's home from 10am-1pm, and they will all pick him up and drop him back off! I about cried when they gave it to me. It's made the week so nice, and my DS is on cloud 9 getting to play with friends from church all week. SO, I've been trying to use 30 min. of the time he's gone to have my "up" time and declutter. Which is great, as long as my mom is busy and doesn't see what I'm up to. Yesterday I waited until she went out to feed the lambs their bottles (which takes about 15 min.) to hurry and do the kitchen drawers. Not sure how I'm going to work it in today. I have two toys already hidden in my head board. I put them there a month ago to make sure DS didn't ask for them back before getting them gone. It's a buzz light year figure and a slinky dog that he got for Christmas two years ago. He never plays with them. I wonder if I should try listing them on my yard sale group. I just don't know how I'll get them out of here with out DS seeing them and crying that he wants them back.
Could you use the "I'm going to rotate the toys" excuse & just rotate them out of the house? LOL