Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mini Minimalist Challenge: 3/25-3/29

How frustrating! Have you just told her straight up "thanks for the suggestions but this is how we're doing things in our home"?

That's awesome about your son and the play dates!

Advertisement

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #22
TheCoach'sWife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I took a ton of stuff to goodwill from the kids rooms and the NEXT weekend my MIL went yardsaling and brought back in just as much as I tossed.... I can totally comisserate.

TheCoach'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #23
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That might just work!!!
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #24
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had to be blunt with my mom a few times as far as setting boundaries with our house and kids. I hate to be that way but it has been necessary. But we have a very good relationship so I can be pretty honest about most things (but certainly not everything). Some stuff I try to let slide but other stuff I have to put my foot down.

2,014 items in 2014?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #25
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72
Not sleeping is so hard! Hope she gives you a break tonight. I'm having a hard time with today's challenge. My mom is here, and she keeps telling me that getting rid of stuff is not the answer to keeping my house clean and I need to find other ways to get people to pitch in. Well I agree that DH and DS need to help more, having less stuff IS part of the solution. She will freak out if I start pitching his toys this morning while he's at a play date. The ladies are church are so awesome. They wanted to bring me a few meals after my surgery but because of Dh's celiacs I'm really not comfortable having anyone else cook for him, besides the fact that my mom can't have dairy. There's nothing like someone asking if they can bring you diner and you say sure, but no dairy, no gluten, and I need you to scrub everything in your kitchen that has ever touched gluten and not use any porus utensils or cookwear. No thanks, we'll just take care of it. BUT they kept asking what they could do and one lady (who is also my next door neighbor) offered to take my son for a few hours one day to play with her foster son so I could have a few hours of quiet. I agreed of course! What a boring spring break for my little guy to just sit at home while mommy lays on the couch! Well, she mentioned it to another lady at church and the next day the two of them brought me a play date schedule for the entire week. He has one everyday at a different person's home from 10am-1pm, and they will all pick him up and drop him back off! I about cried when they gave it to me. It's made the week so nice, and my DS is on cloud 9 getting to play with friends from church all week. SO, I've been trying to use 30 min. of the time he's gone to have my "up" time and declutter. Which is great, as long as my mom is busy and doesn't see what I'm up to. Yesterday I waited until she went out to feed the lambs their bottles (which takes about 15 min.) to hurry and do the kitchen drawers. Not sure how I'm going to work it in today. I have two toys already hidden in my head board. I put them there a month ago to make sure DS didn't ask for them back before getting them gone. It's a buzz light year figure and a slinky dog that he got for Christmas two years ago. He never plays with them. I wonder if I should try listing them on my yard sale group. I just don't know how I'll get them out of here with out DS seeing them and crying that he wants them back.
Sorry about your mom being like that. But yay for church friends helping you out.

I did my bonus challenge. I took time to myself. I went thrifting. I know I know bad idea. But I was good only only for what I went for. (Vintage pyrex. My one weakness). But it is my birthday! Happy birthday to me. I'm gonna sit on my butt the rest of the day an watch mad men. (When DS is napping.)
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #26
TheCoach'sWife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArronDalesMama View Post

Sorry about your mom being like that. But yay for church friends helping you out.

I did my bonus challenge. I took time to myself. I went thrifting. I know I know bad idea. But I was good only only for what I went for. (Vintage pyrex. My one weakness). But it is my birthday! Happy birthday to me. I'm gonna sit on my butt the rest of the day an watch mad men. (When DS is napping.)
Happy birthday! I would say you need a glass of wine too!

TheCoach'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #27
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach'sWife

Happy birthday! I would say you need a glass of wine too!
Thanks!
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Happy Birthday!

2,014 items in 2014?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #29
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Happy Birthday!!

Ya, we put our foot down a lot. And my mom is very blunt with other people to the point that she hurt's people's feelings A LOT. But she can't take it in return. The slightest thing sets her off, kills her feelings and causes her to quit talking to you. There is at least 1 -2 major blow ups each visit and my husband usually has to get involved and remind her that this is our house and we will be doing things our way. BUT this isn't the battle to pick or the time to pick it. She really is a wonderful mom and a great grandma. She cleans, she cooks, she's doing phonics cards with DS every morning before we send him on his play date. I can't complain, and it just isn't the mountain to die on. But I did offer to give her the pampered chef crinkle cutter I just decluttered and after she tried to find a several ways I could use it to cut my soap (all of which I've tried and didn't work) she finally agreed that it should be donated or sold. And I took a pic of the two toy story toys of my sons too. I'm going to try my hand at the online face book yard sale again. I am just so excited to have sold $45 my first day I can't wait to see what else I can sell.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #30
BeedieWeedieB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So far only Monday done and much more than 5 out of that drawer, I even wiped it down before putting things back
Off to do some more days before dinner making