Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
minimamma
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question EBF baby won't take bottle...help?

DS is 5 months and I just got a better pump, so I thought it would be nice for DH to feed him sometimes. I've tried different styles of nipples, but he just smiles and rolls it around with his tongue. It's super cute, but not very effective. Any advice?

Advertisement

minimamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
abbazabba
Registered Users

Re: EBF baby won't take bottle...help?

We had the same issue and we tried a ton of different bottles. For us I think it wasn't the type of nipple but just lots of practice. It's so different from nursing it takes some getting used to. Also the biggest help in the beginning was having Grandma (an experienced bottle feeder) give her a few bottles. We had tried and tried and she just refused. Grandma got her to take it on her first try! Then it was just time before she really got the hang of it.
abbazabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
mamalusbear
Registered Users
seller
seller

Maybe try the breastflow bottles? They are supposed to help baby avoid nipple confusion. Good luck!
mamalusbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the only bottles my kids take are platex drop ins or ventaire.

When they would go on a bottle strike, espeically if they were sick or I had been home with them for awhile (vacations so no bottles) DH could get them to take a bottle by feeding it to them in the bouncy seat or swing and they had to be hungry.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
amandact
Registered Users
seller
seller

We had same issue at first. We had to try a bunch of different bottles and finally found one that worked (now she will take anything).

Maybe you can buy singles or ask around if people on here would sell singles. We finally had luck with Tommie tippee but I know this is different for everyone.

A few things that helped us, my so had to be out of the room (she is the one breast feeding). In the beginning I would also put a shirt she had worn on me so dd would smell her (I know it sounds weird but we read online and it did seem to help). Also being hungry helps, and finally, temperature. We really had to warm the bottle up, almost to the point where it was so warm it felt on that almost too hot edge.

Good luck, I know this can be hard. To be honest I cried my eyes out several times while trying because I wanted to be able to feed her so much and it was hard not to be able to but within a week or two she was bottle feeding like a champ and it had no negative effect on bfing. Now feeding her is my favorite part f every day
amandact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Belles723
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Same issue but we just kept at it. She would only take platex drop ins or a como tomo bottle.
Belles723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At five and a half months I introduced a sippy cup. Maybe try one. I used a straw one.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:09 AM   #8
vibrantnotions
Registered Users

You may need to leave the house/room. I would let him continue to play with the nipple while he explores/figures it out.

My son had the smile issue. He could take the bottle but he'd be having so much fun smiling at daddy that he'd have trouble. My husband had to turn him so they weren't making eye contact.
vibrantnotions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
kay226
Registered Users
seller

I had to stay out of the room and not talk the first few times DH tried to give a bottle. That helped. It also helped to bring LO to his chest like he was going to breastfeed and then slip the bottle nipple inbetween his chest and LO's mouth. Grandma has had success getting her to hold onto the nipple with a finger before she feeds. It's nearly impossible for me to bottle feed her though... she gets so confused and upset. We just kept trying with the same bottles and she got used to them. We use Dr. Browns. I like that they are long and slim... makes it easier to slip them in when you do the fake out move. lol
kay226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post
At five and a half months I introduced a sippy cup. Maybe try one. I used a straw one.
If you feel the need for other methods of feeding I would do as Huxley suggested or even just go directly to cup feeding.

At almost 2 my toddler still does not get the idea of bottles or regular sippies. He does not understand the need to tip the bottle or sippy. It also requires a different suck than the straw or breastfeeding which he just doesn't get right now. He can drink well out of cups and uses straw sippies beautifully.