Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Maliasaphire
Banned

5k training with kids

I plan on participating in a 5k color run in November and I want to start training now. I have 2 kids and I was thinking about wearing my 8 month old and pushing my 3 year old in a stroller. Would it be wise to push a heavy stroller or a jogging stroller? I was thinking pushing the heavy would be best because it would give me some resistance. What's your opinion?

Advertisement

Maliasaphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 5k training with kids

I think it would be harder to run with the baby on you. if you can invest in a double jogger, they can both sit in that. once you get moving, it won't feel very heavy.

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldn't run wearing a child, too risky. Falls, jarring bouncing, etc. get a double jogger and once you get used to running with a stroller you will be golden.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Never run with a child on you.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Maliasaphire
Banned

I meant to put in there I plan on starting by walking as far as I can to start getting my body familiar with the terrain. It's been about 7 years since I went on a good run because I blew out my knee. The doctor gave me the green light last week and now I have kids and I'm not so sure how to train with them.
Maliasaphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you can definitely walk wearing baby. I did a 90 minute walk this morning pushing my 3.5yo and 4m old in the stroller and wearing my 2yo on my back in my ergo.

I'll tell ya, I hurt now though. LOL

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I did couch 2 5k I did it in my backyard during naptime. It wasn't ideal but it was my only option at the time. I would pop in the house every few laps just to make sure everyone was still asleep.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldn't run wearing a child, too risky. Falls, jarring bouncing, etc. get a double jogger and once you get used to running with a stroller you will be golden.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Not me, but my bestie just ran her first marathon, the LA one. She trains at the local high school track. Her kids are older so she can put them on the grass to play and see them from every side of the track. When her dd was small she pushed her in a jogger and that's what her sister does.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

jogging stroller or gym with childcare.

Then again color runs (and most 'fun run' 5k types, I've done 10) are also usually very VERY heavily loaded down with people that walk, dont run, have kids/strollers, and are there to just have fun. These are more "lets have fun" type events than "lets get out and run" type. Its more of a danger and headache to even try to run at these events. Be prepared for the color stations to be loaded with people stopping to get color tossed on them, causing back ups and lines. These are NOT runner friendly 'runs'. They're a so-so start to running (if you even get a chance to run), but dont be disappointed with the constant stop & go, lines at color stations, and having to work your way around walkers (usually no pace groups in 5k's to top it off). I've done enough of them to swear off any color run, color fun fest, color me rad, neon run, neon splash dash, glow run, night run, firefly run, etc 5k. huge waste of time & money for anyone wanting to run vs party. I'd look for smaller local 5k runs without the haggle of party goers if you're wanting to be serious about running. If not, honestly, if you can walk 3 miles, I wouldn't even bother to train for a color run.
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote