Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Registered Users
Heat rash?

My ds (2 months) has been getting a heat rash in his diaper area. At his 2 month checkup, the doc confirmed that that's what it looks like. How do you handle this??? I try to have him in wool overnight, but I don't have much wool, and it means his pajamas don't work well... Anyways, I've also tried to have about 30-45 minutes of cover less time every day, but the rash is still there. It doesn't seem to bother him, but it does but me, and makes it harder for me to tell people about his skin being super clear when its not...

We primarily use cotton diapers (mostly prefolds and flats) with pul covers. I have some pockets too... It seems about the same if I put him in fuzzibunz. The bgs make it worse in the area where the pul folds over in the front. I have ordered some dappi nylon covers -- do you think those will work better? I can't really get more wool at the moment, and I don't have time to sew right now. I also don't want to switch to wool pants (ds has lots of pants), and we don't have any wool that can be worn under clothes.

tuxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Heat rash?

It's not what you want to heat, but I had to ditch PUL all together to get rid of the rashes. Even fleece was too hot in the middle of summer for us. 100% wool here with cotton diapers seemed to work the best for us to eliminate the heat rash.
ISO: MM Dragon's Lair (2) + trim (1) on Uruguay 3-ply
My FSOT includes Green Line, RagaBabe, BBB, Joey Bunz and more.
FriedaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Registered Users

I had to ditch the PUL entirely as well. If you're having issues with heat rash in March, it will only get worse by the summer. BTW, we're not big on wool as clothes around here either, I just used our wool covers under regular clothes.

PM me and I can send you some wool FFS. There is also plenty of cheap wool on FSOT especially in the smaller sizes.

I'd recommend going diaper free as much as possible until the rash clears up. 30-45 min/day is just not enough. Put some baby legs on him and let him lie on top of a prefold. Great for tummy time. If you're up for it, I'd even take the plunge to EC.
Catholic housewife and mama to - Ladybug (4), - Itzy Bitzy (1), and
PPD? Read this.
ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Agree with the others, PUL is the hottest and least breathable cover option. Try wool or fleece, or the breathable nylon covers!
Hi I'm Melanie! I make EmotiBums FLEECE

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote