Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
ccserrano
Registered Users
seller

I was doing a scoop of formula in her bottle but she didn't like the taste. Now we've been doing chocolate milk ( carnation instant breakfast made with whole milk ) . I make a big deal out of it.. like its a special treat. And if she doesn't want it, I give it to my older dd (13) and then the Lo wants one!

Advertisement

ccserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me fatten up my kiddo!

How worried are you about her weight? Both of my boys were very low on the scale, but I don't think my oldest ever fell off the scale. With my youngest we skipped the scale all together because he started smaller than my first, and never caught up. We have gone with as long as he is meeting milestones and growing normally otherwise all is good. With my oldest we went through the weight checks, blood work, and diet changes and nothing made a difference.

As of right now my 5 and 2 year old are both still on whole milk, get full fat yogurt, and let them eat when they ask. While I know there can be done weight gain issues, go with what you think to because she could just be making her own curve and be just fine.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #13
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsStripe View Post
How worried are you about her weight? Both of my boys were very low on the scale, but I don't think my oldest ever fell off the scale. With my youngest we skipped the scale all together because he started smaller than my first, and never caught up. We have gone with as long as he is meeting milestones and growing normally otherwise all is good. With my oldest we went through the weight checks, blood work, and diet changes and nothing made a difference.

As of right now my 5 and 2 year old are both still on whole milk, get full fat yogurt, and let them eat when they ask. While I know there can be done weight gain issues, go with what you think to because she could just be making her own curve and be just fine.
I'm not too concerned with her weight, but I am a little concerned with her not wanting to eat more than a few bites at a time. I'm going to measure how much she drinks for the next 24 hours just to see.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
kej
Registered Users
seller

Lentil porridge. High in calories and protein. Great mushy baby food and kids love it. Mine still love it 5 years later.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Coconut oil added to everything, or butter. It's really easy to put a spoonful in almost anything that you are eating to add good healthy fats.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #16
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How old is she? If she is healthy and meeting milestones I really wouldn't worry. Kids don't grow according to a chart.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma
How old is she? If she is healthy and meeting milestones I really wouldn't worry. Kids don't grow according to a chart.
Agreed
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #18
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Are you and DH small people?

I have had one 3% child and one 97% child. No one has ever suggested making the 3% one fatter any more than the 97% child thinner. The chart is of healthy children and someone has to be the 1%! Of course if she is actually losing weight and is noticeably ill that is a different thing altogether.

My 3% toddler is now almost 9 and weighs all of 50lbs. She only got into a booster seat just before she turned 7. She's not a picky eater but like your child, not a big eater. She loves vegetables and really not a fan of protein and will turn down a cookie if she's not hungry.

I did try giving her more protein and encouraging her to eat a variety of things but now at her age I see she is just a petite person who doesn't have a big appetite. I'm short, she is too, there are lots of short people in our family.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #19
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Orgain (got it for myself, but I let my DD have a sip, and she liked it so muc I let her have it. It's all organic ingredients sugar content (although from "good" sources might be too much for your standards.)

Umm.. cliff now makes kid protein bars.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #20
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

I'm an expert on adding sneaky calories My daughter has cystic fibrosis and requires roughly twice the calories of an average 3 year old. She drinks 3 Pediasure per day. Our other tips:

-butter on everything
-bacon for breakfast and on sandwiches/salads/veggies
-lots of cheese
-a little heavy cream added to drinks or used to make sauce for her foods
-ranch dressing (regular not light) on veggies
-whipped cream on fruit
-peanut butter on bananas or anything else

Basically we take whatever the rest of us are eating and add calories to hers. Lots of sauces, extra butter, etc. She's not a huge snacker, so we do 3 meals and am afternoon snack (which is really more like a 4th meal with a protein, carb and fruit or veggie). Breakfast is usually a waffle with lots of butter and syrup, bacon, and maybe an egg with butter. Lunch varies from leftovers to cut up lunch meat and cheese, but pretty much daily she gets an avocado at lunch. Today she had lunch meat, cheese, sweet potato with butter and cinnamon sugar, and broccoli with butter. Snack is usually similar to lunch, but today was hectic so she had some peanuts, raisins, goldfish crackers and animal crackers. Supper varies widely but we just add butter/cheese/sauce to hers. Tonight was red beans and rice with extra butter on her rice, and corn bread with (again) butter, and salad with bacon and ranch. Yep lots of butter, lol.
PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote