Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #21
nlowe
Registered Users
seller

Sweet, I can eat more icecream! Thanks for the info. Anyone know where to get cheaper coconut oil?

Advertisement

nlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #22
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help me fatten up my kiddo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
How old is she? If she is healthy and meeting milestones I really wouldn't worry. Kids don't grow according to a chart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
Are you and DH small people?

I have had one 3% child and one 97% child. No one has ever suggested making the 3% one fatter any more than the 97% child thinner. The chart is of healthy children and someone has to be the 1%! Of course if she is actually losing weight and is noticeably ill that is a different thing altogether.

My 3% toddler is now almost 9 and weighs all of 50lbs. She only got into a booster seat just before she turned 7. She's not a picky eater but like your child, not a big eater. She loves vegetables and really not a fan of protein and will turn down a cookie if she's not hungry.

I did try giving her more protein and encouraging her to eat a variety of things but now at her age I see she is just a petite person who doesn't have a big appetite. I'm short, she is too, there are lots of short people in our family.
This was her 18 month appointment. She's gained 2 lbs in 6 months, so that's not too bad, actually. She hasn't lost weight, she just dropped on the chart. She dropped from fourth percentile to less than third. She's meeting milestones (early even!) and was tiny from the start. She was a month early and weighed 5 lbs. I'm pretty small, and was super small in school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFluff View Post
I'm an expert on adding sneaky calories My daughter has cystic fibrosis and requires roughly twice the calories of an average 3 year old. She drinks 3 Pediasure per day. Our other tips:

-butter on everything
-bacon for breakfast and on sandwiches/salads/veggies
-lots of cheese
-a little heavy cream added to drinks or used to make sauce for her foods
-ranch dressing (regular not light) on veggies
-whipped cream on fruit
-peanut butter on bananas or anything else

Basically we take whatever the rest of us are eating and add calories to hers. Lots of sauces, extra butter, etc. She's not a huge snacker, so we do 3 meals and am afternoon snack (which is really more like a 4th meal with a protein, carb and fruit or veggie). Breakfast is usually a waffle with lots of butter and syrup, bacon, and maybe an egg with butter. Lunch varies from leftovers to cut up lunch meat and cheese, but pretty much daily she gets an avocado at lunch. Today she had lunch meat, cheese, sweet potato with butter and cinnamon sugar, and broccoli with butter. Snack is usually similar to lunch, but today was hectic so she had some peanuts, raisins, goldfish crackers and animal crackers. Supper varies widely but we just add butter/cheese/sauce to hers. Tonight was red beans and rice with extra butter on her rice, and corn bread with (again) butter, and salad with bacon and ranch. Yep lots of butter, lol.
Butter, bacon and cheese I can do! She just doesn't eat much at a time at all. I'm thinking I may need to just keep a running smorgasbord available for her all day.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #23
jcarter
Registered Users
seller

For those who are concerned about allergy issues with littles, there is a company called SunButter that makes a non-allergenic spread out of sunflower seeds. My 10-month old nephew was dropping in percentiles, too, and my sister started giving him SunButter and he loves it!
jcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #24
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee

This was her 18 month appointment. She's gained 2 lbs in 6 months, so that's not too bad, actually. She hasn't lost weight, she just dropped on the chart. She dropped from fourth percentile to less than third. She's meeting milestones (early even!) and was tiny from the start. She was a month early and weighed 5 lbs. I'm pretty small, and was super small in school.

Butter, bacon and cheese I can do! She just doesn't eat much at a time at all. I'm thinking I may need to just keep a running smorgasbord available for her all day.
By that it doesnt seem like she needs "fattening up". Many kids and adults are just smaller. Some of the things people are suggesting aren't healthy, and its much healthier for a child to grow at their own pace with healthy foods than to give them less than healthy foods to gain weight faster.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #25
jmrw2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee View Post
Based on this I wouldn't worry too much. As long as she is growing, gaining at least something, and meeting milestones, my doctor said not to worry. My DS is 5.5 yo, and 33 lbs soaking wet. We saw several doctors between 12-24 mos, and after dealing with a couple underlying issues (low iron, etc) my ped finally said that it's largely genetics. I'm really short (4'10"), and DH isn't overly big either. Some kids are just really small. In fact, I think all three of mine were between the 3rd and 5th percentile last time I checked.
jmrw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #26
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh I wouldn't worry about that sort of drop either. My daughter did something similar. She only gained 4lbs in a whole year from 1-2. She dropped every so slightly on the curve, but 1% really isn't anything to be concerned about at all.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #27
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise
Oh I wouldn't worry about that sort of drop either. My daughter did something similar. She only gained 4lbs in a whole year from 1-2. She dropped every so slightly on the curve, but 1% really isn't anything to be concerned about at all.
And just to show how crazy those charts are, my DD has only gained 4 lbs from 9months to 30 months and remains a 99th percentile child.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #28
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Okay, so I think she is drinking too much milk. How do I convince her to eat more so she drinks less?
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #29
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Give her water during snacks and save milk for meals
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #30
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
My dd has always been tiny. She was always on the low end of the chart but was on her own curve. Her dr was concerned at first but eventually he said she was fine. How old is she? My dd started "failing" to thrive when she was 3 mo. Dr said it wasn't to bad though. Told me to supp but I couldn't give her formula. She's almost 7 now and doing good. She's just a small kid!! She's 40lbs now and was 7lbs at birth