Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
goldie626
Registered Users
seller

Woven Wrap Carries for Big/ Introverted Babies

Hi all, I am hoping some mamas and/ or papas of big babies might be able to help me out!

My daughter has had trouble getting happy while being worn, and recently I have been thinking her size and temperament may have something to do with it. She is three months old, so still needs the option of head support somtimes, but she is also in the 95th percentile for both weight and length- so sometimes it can be hard to get the wrap to comforatably cradle her head, or even to get her head in here at all.

I recently switched out of the Moby wrap and go tout our woven wrap (Elleville Zara, I think a size 5 or 6), and she does seem to feel more secure now and stay happy a bit longer.

She also seems fairly introverted so far and needs a bit of space. At home she often prefers lying on the floor or sitting in her chair near a family member to being held or worn. I am fine with this, but I do need her to be more mobile for when we are out and when I need to get things done around the house or chase/ help my son.

My son was always happy being carried in the basic Moby wrap carry, so we never really took advantage of the versatility of woven wraps or learned any new carries with him. I am hoping to not buy anymore wraps, but since it looks like versatility may be necessary with this girl, I might consider buying another size wrap or another style carrier used, so I would prefer suggestions of carries I can try with my current wrap.

Could anyone suggest carries that work well for babies who are larger than others at the same developmental stage, or who prefer a little more space?

Thanks so much!

Advertisement

goldie626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would switch to a back carry based on the requirements you describe. A high rucksack would let her see without putting her out of her comfort zone, keep her close without being too snuggly. It will also distribute her weight more comfortably for you.

If you expect her to continue growing ahead of the curve, look into a Toddler KinderPack when she's older. We switched around 18months when DD outgrew the Ergo and a wrap became too cumbersome. She is 37lbs and almost 4' tall, and I can carry her comfortably even at 8mos pregnant.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Jewels6708
Registered Users
seller

Re: Woven Wrap Carries for Big/ Introverted Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
I would switch to a back carry based on the requirements you describe. A high rucksack would let her see without putting her out of her comfort zone, keep her close without being too snuggly. It will also distribute her weight more comfortably for you.
I agree with this^^ You could look into a hip carry when babe gets a little bit better head control. I love to do a reinforced hip carry with mine. My DD doesn't like to be overly cuddled and she likes hip carry the most.
Jewels6708 is offline   Reply With Quote