Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #91
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sunny SC
Posts: 13,547
My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan View Post
Yeah, I do get all super smash brothers about silly things like human rights and equality. How silly. I should save true disdain for those who use formula or disposable diapers or something.

I'm so sick and tired of homosexuality and marriage equality being a debate that people feel the need to tiptoe around and "agree to disagree" about. PEOPLE are not debatable. We don't debate the righteousness of babies born with cleft palate or Down syndrome or blue eyes or who grow to be 6 feet tall--stop debating other humans who are born to be who they are.

Intolerance for humans, bigotry, human rights and equality should not be something to debate, and I'm not going to act like it is ok. People griped about MLK, Jr and Rosa Parks in their time because they were zealous about a cause. Gripe about me all you want--one day soon, we will also overcome this bigotry, and I will be proud to hold my head high knowing I didn't mince words on the subject of accepting everyone for who they are and advocating equal rights for all humans.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
First, humans are animals, but their behavior is so different from other animals that the argument really doesn't hold any weight no matter which side of the fence you're on. As its already been pointed out, animals do many things that the normal human would never do.

As for the second part, is that non-debatable in the same sense that evolution is non-debatable? Because I disagree. I haven't been around all animals or researched it that heavily. I did grow up on and around farms and have been around loads of animals in my lifetime and have yet to encounter a gay one. So if it happens, I would say it is the very very rare exception to the rule, and I would also venture the guess that it would be more common in zoos and other areas where humans have interfered as opposed to in the wild.



I find this comment rather awkward and out of place....you are the only person I saw mention the Holy book. Perhaps you are referring to a different book than I read, but the one I have does not advocate for slavery, nor the abuse of slaves, and certainly not the marriage of a rapist to the victim. I think you are probably just looking to stew the pot.

As for the last post you made, you do not get to decide what is debatable and what is not. I'm not intolerant, though I do disagree with the gay lifestyle that does not mean I think that they should be treated poorly and are somehow less than the heterosexuals. I am not pushing my morals on anyone. But my morals are different and I will not change them to conform with your desires in the same way you wouldn't change your morals to suit me.
Over 1500 species display homosexual behavior. Not rare. And your morals are fine for you that doesn't mean the whole darn country should live by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
i didn't read any of the above, except the first few posts... but i've got a question.

homosexuality is natural.
heterosexuality is natural.

can it really be both? it's opposite sides of the spectrum, i don't see how both can be natural. enlighten me.
Brown skin is natural.
White skin is natural.

Can it really be both?



Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Sexual behavior (of any type) is not comparable to eye color, IMO. I also disagree with sex outside of marriage....It's not the same as saying "I disagree that you have brown eyes."
Sexual behavior is not comparable to eye color. Sexual orientation certainly is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post
To you it is. I "disagree" with the homosexual lifestyle because my belief system tells me that it is not the moral ideal. But I am not intolerant of homosexuals, there are women that I love, admire, and respect who are happily married and I am glad for them. I support gay marriage because I do not hold others to my own moral code, just like I can support my brother who lives with his girlfriend and their baby even though I think marriage is the ideal. You can love and support others without having to agree with everything they do. And honestly, right now I probably agree with the gays a lot more than I agree with the response of the church.


Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan View Post
Sexual orientation is absolutely comparable to eye color. And fighting your natural orientation is comparable to a blue eyed person wearing brown contacts to be accepted by society.
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
It's amusing to me that you state things like "that is not debatable" and "sexual orientation is absolutely comparable to eye color" like you said so, therefore it must be. Oh...well, my bad, clearly I am mistaken. IMO, a physical trait is not comparable to sexual orientation because sexual orientation can be influenced by life experience and physical traits are not. In some cases sexual orientation changes--maybe straight to gay to bi--but if you are born with blue eyes, you will have blue eyes. It isn't the same at all.
My oldest (hazel eyed child) was born blue eyed and they stayed blue until he was 2.

I don't know anyone whose sexual orientation has changed. Sexual behavior yes, but not orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan View Post
It isn't that I said it so it must be true. I can take science's word that sexual orientation is an inherent trait. Or, I can take the word of my gay friends who were raised in strict religious homes that abhorred homosexuality (so clearly not influenced by life or upbringing) who say they've known their orientation since childhood.

You don't have to be gay or even like that homosexuality exists, but your opinion doesn't override what science tells us about the inherent nature of homosexuality.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog View Post
What ""lifestyle" is this that people speak of? What is it about this "homosexual lifestyle" that people don't like?

Advertisement


Last edited by Joyful Tie Dyes; 03-27-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #92
Janine's Avatar
Janine
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,085
My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I find this comment rather awkward and out of place....you are the only person I saw mention the Holy book. Perhaps you are referring to a different book than I read, but the one I have does not advocate for slavery, nor the abuse of slaves, and certainly not the marriage of a rapist to the victim. I think you are probably just looking to stew the pot.
I don't know what your Holy Book is, but soonerfan was talking about the Bible. And the Bible does condone those things.

How to correctly obtain and keep a slave: Leviticus 25:44-46, Exodus 21:2-6, Exodus 21:7-11

Acceptable ways to beat your slave: Exodus 21:20-21

Marrying your rapist: Deuteronomy 22:28-29
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #93
AtLeast's Avatar
AtLeast
Registered
Formerly: rli***t
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 1,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine

That always drives me bonkers as well. "Gay lifestyle"? What the heck does that even mean?
.
What's wrong with calling it a lifestyle? My being hetero is a lifestyle, what is offensive about that? Whether you believe you are born gay or not, it's still a choice how you live. I could be straight but choose a gay lifestyle. You also cannot deny that some gay people have chosen a straight lifestyle. I'm confused as to why "lifestyle" is bad?
__________________
~Rebekah~Mother of 9, 6 of whom I have the honor of raising, 3 with Jesus..

Last edited by AtLeast; 03-27-2013 at 12:43 PM.
AtLeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #94
Janine's Avatar
Janine
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,085
My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLeast View Post
What's wrong with calling it a lifestyle? My being hetero is a lifestyle, what is offensive about that? Whether you believe you are born gay or not, it's still a choice how you live. I could be straight but choose a gay lifestyle. You also cannot deny that gay people have chosen a straight lifestyle. I'm confused as to why "lifestyle" is bad?
Because not all gay people live their life in one way, and their lifestyle choices are not defined by their being gay. People all live different lives in different ways. What in the world would define a "gay lifestyle"? What lifestyle choice do all gay people share? There isn't one "gay lifestyle" just like there isn't one "straight lifestyle". There is nothing about my being straight that means my life choices are the same as other straight people in any of the possible facets of my life.

Again, what lifestyle choice do all gay people share? If your only answer is "being gay", well that doesn't make a "lifestyle". That is a sexual orientation and nothing more.

Last edited by Janine; 03-27-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #95
Puppydog's Avatar
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,142
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLeast View Post
What's wrong with calling it a lifestyle? My being hetero is a lifestyle, what is offensive about that? Whether you believe you are born gay or not, it's still a choice how you live. I could be straight but choose a gay lifestyle. You also cannot deny that some gay people have chosen a straight lifestyle. I'm confused as to why "lifestyle" is bad?
Because lifestyle is a rather broad term.

Do we share the same lifestyle because we are both straight? No. Far from it.
Puppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #96
JennTheMomma's Avatar
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,820
My Mood:
Haha, there is no such thing as a gay or straight lifestyle.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #97
AtLeast's Avatar
AtLeast
Registered
Formerly: rli***t
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 1,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog

Because lifestyle is a rather broad term.

Do we share the same lifestyle because we are both straight? No. Far from it.
Ok, it's broad, but how is it offensive? I would say we are living the same lifestyle, married, in the childbearing years, house, cars, vacations, etc. Sure, there are a hundred different facets to that, but it's the same broad lifestyle.
__________________
~Rebekah~Mother of 9, 6 of whom I have the honor of raising, 3 with Jesus..
AtLeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #98
Leah52's Avatar
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Clifton Forge, VA
Posts: 6,653
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Haha, there is no such thing as a gay or straight lifestyle.
Gay lifestyle is Pride Parade 24/7, duh.

I used the term only because I couldn't think of another one.
__________________
Jesus follower, pacifist, homeschooled, homeschooling mama of 5
For there to be peace at home there must be peace in the heart. ~Lao Tzu
Leah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #99
mcpforever's Avatar
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bama
Posts: 11,738
My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLeast View Post
Ok, it's broad, but how is it offensive? I would say we are living the same lifestyle, married, in the childbearing years, house, cars, vacations, etc. Sure, there are a hundred different facets to that, but it's the same broad lifestyle.
And this is different from a same sex couple living the same way how?
__________________
Melissa-Wife, mother to DS 4/02 and DD 4/07, DS 7/08 DD 7/13
ISO: my lost shaker of salt
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #100
Mama*Kim's Avatar
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,322
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLeast

Ok, it's broad, but how is it offensive? I would say we are living the same lifestyle, married, in the childbearing years, house, cars, vacations, etc. Sure, there are a hundred different facets to that, but it's the same broad lifestyle.
Aside from being "married", how does that differ from the "gay lifestyle"? I have many friends with all kinds of sexual orientations (gay, straight, bi, trans), and they all fall into that description.
__________________
Hi! I'm Shannon Wife to J
Mama to a couple of crazy boys - L (12/07) and E (2/11)
and Meatball coming 4/14
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.