Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #191
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko
I also don't see how my saying people are not animals in any way shape or form infringes on gay rights.

I have flat out refused to discuss my religious beliefs other than to say I believe in the bible and consider myself Christian. So you really don't even know what I believe. I have not told anyone what they believe. Many though have made assumptions of my beliefs and attempted to crucify me for these supposed beliefs.

I have even been threatened with one poster's opinion of Easter.

All that for being firmly convinced humans are not animals. Shame on me. I am so infringing on someone's rights for believing this. How horrifying.
Quote:

That may be their point. Maybe even yours. I am not sure on that one. Being mobile right now I am not going to check out your past posts on this thread. My sole point on this thread has been comparing humans to animals does not make a valid point in my opinion.

When I mentioned my minority status it was in response to the assumption that poster had that she was standing up for the rights of all including minorities. My statement being that though of minority status I didn't feel at all like I was being stood up for by her. To the contrary she even stated I didn't have a right to an opinion and what opinion I have isn't valid. If that isn't judgmental and discriminatory what is?

I have not and flat out refuse to discuss gay rights or my stance on them in this thread. Anyone who wants to is certainly welcome to pm me. I have not seen anyone on either side of this issue have any success discussing this issue online. So to me it is a pointless exercise in futility.
No one threatened you or said you didn't have a right to an opinion. Please.

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #192
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
This thread began with not understanding the argument animals do it so it should be normal for humans.
I think that right there is part of the misunderstanding. No one is saying that because animals do something, it should be normal for people. There are a lot of things that are normal -- some of which are good and some bad. Normal does not mean "good"; it just means "not abnormal."

It's not "animals can be gay too, thus it is good." It's "animals can be gay too, so it is in fact not an aberration found only in humans." And that point is made in response to the contention that animals aren't ever gay, and that proves that it "goes against nature." That's all.

Whether there is any moral issue of right or wrong is a separate issue completely.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #193
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Definitions change in science. Not even by laws but by votes. Human opinion, if you are so lucky to be granted a vote in the closed panel of experts, decides the new definition.

Take the whole Pluto thing, for instance: totally changed the classification of an object in space, partially because of new information and partially out of covenience (It would be odd to suddenly name and add tens, or hundreds of new planets to our solar system based on the old definition, so what did scientists do? Held a convention and voted on a NEW definition. I was surprised and humored. Gotta love science.)

"Astronomers from the association were given the opportunity to vote on the definition of planets. One version of the definition would have actually boosted the number of planets to 12; Pluto was still a planet, and so were Eris and even Ceres, which had been thought of as the largest asteroid. A different proposal kept the total at 9, defining the planets as just the familiar ones we know without any scientific rationale, and a third would drop the number of planets down to 8, and Pluto would be out of the planet club. But, then… what is Pluto?" (Does anyone else find the bolded funny? )

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/13573/w...#ixzz2OrCpJH94

This is why I can not find merit with the animal comparison. To answer the OP, I agree...it's silly.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 03-28-2013 at 11:53 AM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #194
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primates
Family: Hominidae
Tribe: Hominini
Genus: Homo
Species: H. sapiens

This is my classification. On the other side of my tribe is pan, or bonobos and chimps. Even the kingdom, the most basic of classifications, classifies me as animalia. Therefore, I'm an animal, albeit with a highly advanced brain that allows me to do things no other animal can do. I'm a homo sapien, descended from a long line of homo species, and our species is the only survivor of said line. I don't understand how anyone can say humans aren't animals.
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #195
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtojande View Post
I think that right there is part of the misunderstanding. No one is saying that because animals do something, it should be normal for people. There are a lot of things that are normal -- some of which are good and some bad. Normal does not mean "good"; it just means "not abnormal."

It's not "animals can be gay too, thus it is good." It's "animals can be gay too, so it is in fact not an aberration found only in humans." And that point is made in response to the contention that animals aren't ever gay, and that proves that it "goes against nature." That's all.

Whether there is any moral issue of right or wrong is a separate issue completely.
Exactly. I don't act socially like other animals. But I do a lot of things animals do. Eat, sleep, etc.
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #196
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
This nitpicking is moronic. Yes, definitions change. But until is DOES change, you ARE an animal. Unless you're a plant. And I'm starting to wonder how many vegetables we have in here.

And the classification of species doesn't change due to societal norms. It is not like a popular slang word being added to the dictionary. It takes substantial research, evidence and review for things like that to even be considered. It's not all willy nilly because 500,000 people decided to call themselves minerals.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 03-28-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #197
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtojande View Post

At least this I can agree with but this isn't what op was saying nor what I was responding to.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #198
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
This thread began with not understanding the argument animals do it so it should be normal for humans. I do not understand that argument either. It is a turn off. I think I have said once maybe twice I don't care what you use this argument to support. I don't think it makes sense. Definitions change. I mentioned this in another thread. Dictionary's as far as I understand change according to what is common at that time.

Religion was brought in by those for gay marriage not by me. Accusing menof using religion to say I am not an animal. Shame on me for not thinking I am an animal. Silly huh because in other threads concerning breast verses bottle using an animal comparison is sure to get you drawn and quartered. Here saying I am not an animal is going to get the same result. It seems to me the most judgmental and discriminatory ones on this thread are those claiming to not be so.
I agree with you whole heartedly.

Soryr fro typos. Setn by iPhone.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #199
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmama View Post
Humans, are mammals...but we do not behave as animals nor do we think like animals. We have evolved. Therefore using the argument "well animal do it" is not a valid argument. My dog craps on my floor too, doesn't make it okay for anyone else to I'm not saying whether or not someone is hetero or homosexual is right or wrong, im simply saying arguing the validity of ones actions based upon the actions of an inferior species is just a bit ridiculous.
I have been trying to say this but perhaps not as clearly as people still keep jumping on everything but what I was trying to say.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #200
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom23kids View Post
Exactly. I don't act socially like other animals. But I do a lot of things animals do. Eat, sleep, etc.
Fart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
Unless you're a plant. And I'm starting to wonder how many vegetables we have in here.
Hi I'm an eggplant!