Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #281
lisaaag
Banned at Users Request
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post

Wonderfully said. Had she stated that any other religion's beliefs were a myth there would have been fireworks. It's apparently a ok to bash Christians beliefs here on DS .
Yes, I have noticed this for YEARS here.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy DS forum

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #282
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

This has been an interesting conversation. I don't agree with a lot of what has been said, some things I can't wrap my brain around because it just isn't logical to me. But, I have learned a few things.

ETA: I know I'm not Christian in the traditional sense. I admit I'm pretty liberal in my beliefs. But, I do believe and have faith that there is good in the world.

Last edited by Mom23kids; 03-28-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #283
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

SMH!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #284
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

I would like to point out that this so called "superior" species is THE only animal that rapes its young. No other animal does this. None.

I live with a man who had this done to him and this was ignored by his deeply religious parents because the perpetrator was "a man of god".
Puppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #285
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog View Post
I would like to point out that this so called "superior" species is THE only animal that rapes its young. No other animal does this. None.

I live with a man who had this done to him and this was ignored by his deeply religious parents because the perpetrator was "a man of god".
That's entirely false. Males will attempt to mate with females in heat regardless of whether they are their own offspring or not. It's been documented in a variety species.

While horribly sad, I don't see the point here. That humans are scummy or...? Pretty sure we've covered that bit already. That just seems like a dig tbh. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, dunno.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 03-29-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:27 AM   #286
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLeast View Post

Hugs. I am so sorry for what you went through as a child. Your post was very raw and I could just feel your hurt. I don't understand the evil and injustices in the world. I certainly don't try to justify them with my beliefs. I struggle with it greatly. I think any believer does. It's impossible for us to understand. It has been something that has broken me and made me doubt, made me question.

The difference for me is I have hope. I have a faith that affords me hope in the face of evil. That one day there will be a reckoning and every evil will be dealt with and the punishment will be just and terrible.

I understand your reasoning though, I completely get it. I don't even pretend to have the answers. I couldn't read your post and not say how sorry I am for why you've been through.
See, I think it's great people can have that. I envy it to an extent, I really do. Not that it's easy I'm sure, but being able to have faith or trust that things will be as they should must be immensely uplifting for the soul.

You got my point so I won't rehash it (I do that a lot, I'm a rambler obviously lol), but thank you

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:38 AM   #287
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
That's entirely false. Males will attempt to mate with females in heat regardless of whether they are their own offspring or not. It's been documented in a variety species.

While horribly sad, I don't see the point here. That humans are scummy or...? Pretty sure we've covered that bit already. That just seems like a dig tbh. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, dunno.

Young means sexually immature. I don't care if the child is related to the person/animal. Animals don't have a concept of incest. They don't care. No male animal will attempt to have intercourse with a sexually immature individual. Ever.

And yes. This supposed superior being IS "scummy".

And no, its not a dig so you are reading it wrong. I was addressing this supposed superior status we have.
Puppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #288
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog

Young means sexually immature. I don't care if the child is related to the person/animal. Animals don't have a concept of incest. They don't care. No male animal will attempt to have intercourse with a sexually immature individual. Ever.

And yes. This supposed superior being IS "scummy".

And no, its not a dig so you are reading it wrong. I was addressing this supposed superior status we have.
I am pretty sure there is pedophelia in dolphins.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #289
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh

I'm sorry, I have to. I have never spoken as to why I am personally agnostic, but this is why. He does not prevent them, either. ANY god that would allow the atrocities that happen to innocent babies, defenseless children, helpless animals, the world over, is not a god I want to be a part of. I can never view it another way. When I was a child, I tried to believe in god. I've gone back and forth many times over the years. Everyone justifies these things with free will, god doesn't give you more than you can handle, etc. Tell that to the 6mo that was brutally raped and beaten to death. Where was god for that child? It's all part of the greater plan, they say. I don't want to be a part of a plan that involves things like that. It makes me SO angry when people (not you, this just set something off inside of me) say things like that as if it makes it better, easier, less horrid. What kind of person, what kind of god, would let a child play that role in any plan? What kind of plan lets children endure seeing murder, being burned, tied up, beaten, molested, abused with drugs, used as objects? If ANY other entity in the world attempted a plan that involved such variables, it would be insanity and pure evil.

But we're supposed to have faith. We're supposed to put it in god's hands. We're supposed to believe it all has a purpose, a reason, a path. People blame the devil. That that is what causes these things. When you stand back and allow these things to happen, when you do nothing to save the defenseless, you are just as guilty as the person that does it. So why is supposed to be rule that we accept it, we have to understand that god has a plan for the woman that miraculously overcame cancer at the hand of prayer after medicine failed her, but that an innocent baby was hacked to ribbons somehow served their purpose and that was that? It makes SO angry when people justify the horror in this world with religion. With any religion.

I know everyone loves their god(s). I know they believe in plans and commandments, in reasons we can't understand and in the positive aspects of it. I get that. I respect that. I wish I could have that. But for the love of all that is good left in this world, do not justify the evils with religion. It cannot, no, should not, be justified, it does not make it better, and in many ways it devalues the entire situation.

This isn't directly at anyone, and I'm sure I've opened Pandora's Box of offense and debate. But I just can't stand it. I can't. It pisses me off SO badly when I see it because it's like a smack in the face. Everything I went through as a child wasn't because of the devil. It was because people freaking suck. People are cruel and horrid. It wasn't part of a plan. I refuse to believe that, for the sake of my own sanity if nothing else, because I refuse to believe that all of that was planned, was known, I was a tool for a purpose that was somehow achieved through such atrocities. I refuse to believe a merciful god would allow such things, would use a child to serve a larger purpose in such a way, would abandon the helpless. The idea that the millions of horrors that occur ever day in the world serve a purpose, or are allowed because a dumb woman bit an apple, or not stopped for whatever reason is so demeaning and devaluing.

Love your god. Believe him to be anything. But don't justify the cruelty in this world with it. All it does it make victims feel used, make bitterness and anger exist toward something that is supposed to be a positive experience (faith, religion, god in general), and dismiss the vile in this world by chalking it up to something else.

Again, I'm not saying you or anyone else is what this is for. I don't even know if it makes any sense. Hell, I don't even know why I wrote it. I'm just tired of seeing the justification in general. It's not about Christians, or any religion in particular. They all have their gods and reasons for what happens and why. And I'm glad if people can find solace in that. I truly am. It's just the idea of justification to other people that makes my blood boil. It shouldn't happen, not to other people. And I don't think I'll ever be able to see it without feeling that way.

Tldr; justification of crappy things sucks.

((())) I'm so sorry my post stirred up horrible things for you. I can't begin to imagine what happened that caused your feelings, but I am so very very sorry. What happened to you wasn't in anyone's plan, and I wish there were something I could do to reach through this computer myself to help you heal, if that's even possible. So many hugs....

Soryr fro typos. Setn by iPhone.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...

Last edited by Hope4More; 03-29-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #290
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow, things went crazy in here last night. I went to bed after my last post (yes, at 8:30--pregnant and exhausted) but it looks like hope4more did a great job of summing up what I would have said about it anyway.

Yes, there is evil in the world. Yes, I think God knew at the very beginning how things would go, and chose to proceed with his plan to create us. I don't pretend to understand all of his reasons. I do know that he wanted us to have free will, and that this is the consequences of what people have chosen. Is it heartbreaking? Yes. Is there tons of evil in the world? Absolutely. And yes, it's disheartening when you hear about some of the twisted things that happen. All I can respond to that is that my God is a God justice. He claims vengeance as his. Those people will get their "reward" for their actions. It may not be in our time, but it's coming and they will be dealt with.

As for no one claiming science is perfect....well, I suppose that would be hard to do since it has been proven wrong in so many areas over and over again.

As for the religion bashing, I've never understood why that's acceptable. If we would have made a similarly toned comment about homosexuality or evolution, or even another religion, I can't imagine the backlash. And yes, their are a few Christian posters here defending themselves, but if it were about some other subject even people who may not agree would be jumping on it because it's wrong to be so disrespectful of someone's belief system whether you agree with them or think it's bogus.

To hilligrah (sp?) I am sorry for what you have suffered as a child. There is a lot of sickening evil in this world. I hope that one day you can find peace.

I can't remember who said it...but yes, I believe that humans are the only creations with a soul. Animals do not have the same free will or understanding of good and evil as we do.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote