Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #571
Vespertina's Avatar
Vespertina
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 621
My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
Did I seem surprised?
I don't know. I wasn't able to see your face.

Advertisement

__________________
Aeona, ima to Grace, 12/04 Evangeline, 11/06 Duncan, 11/08 and Henry, 12/09 born at home.

Vespertina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #572
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,575
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy View Post
I havent posted but I've been following and I identify as a witch but I dont know if there are many others
Could I get the cliff notes to your beliefs? I've never known any witches and I have no idea what the belief system is. I'm curious to know a bit more.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #573
TalkinBoutMyGirl's Avatar
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 13,180
My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I think this is why I see things so differently. I live in the Bible belt, a very conservative community, I've only ever known one bisexual person IRL. If you said I was living a conservative lifestyle or a Christian lifestyle (and I agree they don't always go hand in hand) I wouldn't bat an eye or think anything of it. I don't think that means you are defining my entire life with a set of standards, to me it only speaks of that one issue, conservative or Christian. So I didn't realize that gay lifestyle sometimes causes offense, because I'm not trying to label anything about your life, I'm merely saying you (or whoever) are gay.
Christians and Conservatives aren't a minority. Therein lies the big issue IMO.

And I'd be willing to bet that you know far more bisexual and/or gay people than you think they just aren't as forthcoming with their sexual orientation as others.
__________________
Anna - Gazelle intense with mywife Rachel and Hailey (6) our little
Swag with Me!
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #574
Scarlett's mommy's Avatar
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lawton, ok
Posts: 4,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post

Could I get the cliff notes to your beliefs? I've never known any witches and I have no idea what the belief system is. I'm curious to know a bit more.
Sure. I am what I refer to as an eclectic pagan. I believe that there is a spirit that has both male and female aspects. That can operate together or separately. I practice "magic" which is really just a manipulation of energy with the guidance of this deity and the help of the natural elements of the earth. I call myself a witch because of the practice of said "magic" and because it's a lot easier than explaining what my actual beliefs are. This really is just a very basic introduction to the things I believe.
__________________
going down with the ship.
Scarlett's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #575
Vespertina's Avatar
Vespertina
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 621
My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
Feelings on their religious beliefs which are deeply rooted in emotion?
And? A lot of things are deeply rooted in emotion. If something has the potential to offend one's sensibilities then why participate in it. The only thing that can be controlled is one's own actions, whether or not to engage or participate in threads known to cause tension, drama and heat. If one is that emotionally sensitive to having their position or presuppositions challenged then it only makes sense to avoid the things that stir up those emotions.

Quote:
Fitting is a matter of perception.
The same is said in return.

Quote:
I'm sorry, of my ilk? What ilk would that be?
The ilk taking issue with my challenging a position put forth in this religious/political thread. That ilk.

Quote:
When exactly have I mentioned your diction?
You didn't need to. It's plainly obvious you take issue with my diction and delivery, or my manner of debate.

Quote:
If you want to come in guns a' blazing that's your business, but it's poor form to treat this as a serious medium of debate when it's not,
Poor form. What is it when one comes ill-prepared to a debate when they're participating in a heated religious/political discussion. It isn't my fault some folks come ill-equipped and prepared. I knew what I was getting into when I entered this and other threads like it.

Quote:
and dismiss common courtesy simply because arguments already existed. It is quite possible to make a point without being rude, condescending or any other number of things that have occurred in this thread.
Rude and condescending is a matter of opinion and perception. You even said that ten dollar word a few quotes above. Oh the shock.

Quote:
Assumptions make for poor rebuttal, so I would avoid suggesting what I'm not aware of.
That's all you've got. If you had a decent rebuttal you'd have made use of it. Instead, you're debating my manner of debate in a religious and political debate thread. That's Oh-my-bob hilarious.

Quote:
I would think someone so determined to point out fallacy would steer clear of assumptions all together.
You've not demonstrated otherwise. Most, by now, would have, assuming they were versed in countering common logical fallacies made by religionists.

Quote:
I'm fully aware of logical fallacies,
Right.

Quote:
however a system of faith is in itself a inherently illogical. So... Good luck with that?
So because metaphysical truth claims are wholly illogical they should be left alone because it's futile? Yeah, not quite. Challenging logical fallacies doesn't change the fact that a belief is intrinsically flawed and irrational ... for the believer. It only shows them the flaw in their position and why their argument sinks like the Poseidon.

Quote:
I don't see a need to continue this since you've outright admitted that it doesn't matter if someone wants to debate, you'll do it regardless. On to the next brick wall, I suppose.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Debating in a thread centered around debate and heated discussions. Imagine that. You felt the need to challenge what, how or the manner in which I debate. I returned in kind.

**Now back to eating my Japanese food.**
__________________
Aeona, ima to Grace, 12/04 Evangeline, 11/06 Duncan, 11/08 and Henry, 12/09 born at home.

Vespertina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #576
Leah52's Avatar
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Clifton Forge, VA
Posts: 6,653
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertina View Post
Then you shouldn't be surprised if your behavior is called out. And I wouldn't call it poking fun, bad attempts, perhaps, but jabs ... jabs centered around the fact that some are unable or unwilling to grasp what is being said, meh. Nothing to throw a conniption over. I take it as some folks having their sensibilities hurt by what is being presented and unable to counter back resort to failed attempts at ad hominem.

Ohh, there I go being serious with my fifty dollar words.
I understood everything you said (even if I don't understand how it was related to the difference between normal religious belief and religious delusions brought on by mental illness) and my feelings weren't hurt. I didn't get to be 32 years old without realizing that there are many different thoughts and ideas in this world and that most people aren't going to greet everything I say with "OMG, you are so right! You just completely changed my mind about everything I believe!" And chances are, if you debate online all the time, that you don't expect that either. I had already invested too much time in this thread, wanted to touch on an idea that someone I talk to regularly on here had mentioned and then you came in and took it somewhere I had no desire to pursue it. So if that makes me willingly ignorant in your eyes that's ok, my sensibilities will survive.
__________________
Jesus follower, pacifist, homeschooled, homeschooling mama of 5
For there to be peace at home there must be peace in the heart. ~Lao Tzu
Leah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #577
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,575
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
Christians and Conservatives aren't a minority. Therein lies the big issue IMO.

And I'd be willing to bet that you know far more bisexual and/or gay people than you think they just aren't as forthcoming with their sexual orientation as others.
Christians aren't a minority, although that is a hugely broad term. I'm not sure that conservatives aren't a minority, but whether they are or whether they are not, I can't see that it makes a difference.

I have met more than one gay person, yes. But most of them don't stay here long. Sad to say, but people here are probably ridiculously harsh to them. And I don't get out much, so that makes a difference too. I've heard rumor there's two gay kids in high school here now. And I know one of my friends dad is now gay and lives ten or so miles away, but I haven't met him.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #578
Hope4More's Avatar
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: In the land of Crazy
Posts: 5,214
My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

I sanctimoniously can no longer engage in the spontaneous conversation that eludes the cognitive faculties of a superlative amount of participators of this thread. it hinges on the geographical boundaries of incongruous, droll, and a mocking forethought. I regard as probable that this specific post will be detached into autonomous and individual phrases and debated with a vehement argumentation that will likely be regarded undoubtedly as anything but vehement or argumentative, and that is sufficiently acceptable with me. To all a superb nightfall!
__________________
Wife, WAHM, born-again Christian, proud mommy to my loving, energetic son (4) and blessed, miracle daughter
God gave us our RAINBOW baby !
I WILL WARRIOR ON... This mama misses her three baby angels (10.19) (1.29) (4.18)
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...

Last edited by Hope4More; 03-29-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #579
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,575
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy View Post
Sure. I am what I refer to as an eclectic pagan. I believe that there is a spirit that has both male and female aspects. That can operate together or separately. I practice "magic" which is really just a manipulation of energy with the guidance of this deity and the help of the natural elements of the earth. I call myself a witch because of the practice of said "magic" and because it's a lot easier than explaining what my actual beliefs are. This really is just a very basic introduction to the things I believe.
Interesting. Thank you! When you say spirit, is it one great spirit, or are their many? And is it like worshiping the spirit, or does the spirit just help you? What kind of things can you do with magic?
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #580
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,575
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
I sanctimoniously can no longer engage in the spontaneous conversation that eludes the cognitive faculties of a superlative amount of participators of this thread. it hinges on the geographical boundaries of incongruous, droll, and a mocking forethought. I regard as probable that this specific post will be detached into autonomous and individual phrases and debated with a vehement argumentation that will likely be regarded undoubtedly as anything but vehement or argumentative, and that is sufficiently acceptable with me. To all a superb nightfall!
I had to read part of that twice. But it's okay, someone may come along and dissect it shortly, bit by bit.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.