Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #581
TalkinBoutMyGirl's Avatar
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 13,178
My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Christians aren't a minority, although that is a hugely broad term. I'm not sure that conservatives aren't a minority, but whether they are or whether they are not, I can't see that it makes a difference.

I have met more than one gay person, yes. But most of them don't stay here long. Sad to say, but people here are probably ridiculously harsh to them. And I don't get out much, so that makes a difference too. I've heard rumor there's two gay kids in high school here now. And I know one of my friends dad is now gay and lives ten or so miles away, but I haven't met him.
IME minorities are more likely to take offense especially when a descriptor is being used to describe them. (Eta... This being due to the fact that they have historically been oppressed, denied equal rights, etc, etc...

Oh and just because it stuck out at me..your friends dad was always gay. It's not like *poof* "I'm gay!"...you probably just mistyped there so no biggie

Advertisement

__________________
Anna - Gazelle intense with mywife Rachel and Hailey (6) our little
Swag with Me!

Last edited by TalkinBoutMyGirl; 03-29-2013 at 07:37 PM.
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #582
TalkinBoutMyGirl's Avatar
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 13,178
My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
I sanctimoniously can no longer engage in the spontaneous conversation that eludes the cognitive faculties of a superlative amount of participators of this thread. it hinges on the geographical boundaries of incongruous, droll, and a mocking forethought. I regard as probable that this specific post will be detached into autonomous and individual phrases and debated with a vehement argumentation that will likely be regarded undoubtedly as anything but vehement or argumentative, and that is sufficiently acceptable with me. To all a superb nightfall!
and
__________________
Anna - Gazelle intense with mywife Rachel and Hailey (6) our little
Swag with Me!
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #583
Hillargh
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,903
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertina View Post
centered around the fact that some are unable or unwilling to grasp what is being said
I found this so hilarious that I nearly choked on my tea.

Your last post very clearly showed you have no want to understand (or at least acknowledge) my point, because you're surely capable of grasping it.

I have no issue with your diction. I have no issue with your delivery. I have issue with attempts to force an argument where there isn't one, in the middle of oodles of other ones to choose from, for the sake of arguing, when that isn't what the other side wanted. You can't force people to argue with you, and it's just rude to attempt to.

I didn't rebut your argument because I don't care. Some of it I agree with, and again, the debate itself was my point, not the context. Why would I debate the context of an argument if I don't strongly oppose the view?

I'm not sure why you keep attempting to lump me in with some apparent extended vocabulary hating club, I could not possibly care less what words you use. None have flown over my head, so why would I be bothered by it?

I also don't care if you believe I know fallacy or not. My opinions of raccoon coats and dobie gillis have been so severely tainted by my overexposure to logical fallacy and the millions of examples that come along with explaining it to people, that I can't be bothered to get into another debate offshoot. And certainly not about that.

Obviously we've reached a stalemate. You find it acceptable to treat every medium of interaction as an opportunity to debate seriously, and disregard any other factors. I find that rude and unnecessary. Neither of us are changing our minds, and I'm suddenly very bitter about my lack of Japanese food.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #584
qsefthuko's Avatar
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 16,766
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertina View Post
Then you shouldn't be surprised if your behavior is called out. And I wouldn't call it poking fun, bad attempts, perhaps, but jabs ... jabs centered around the fact that some are unable or unwilling to grasp what is being said, meh. Nothing to throw a conniption over. I take it as some folks having their sensibilities hurt by what is being presented and unable to counter back resort to failed attempts at ad hominem.

Ohh, there I go being serious with my fifty dollar words.
A debate I assume is to supposed to be understood. If many cannot understand your portion of the debate do you lose?

I have for the most part skipped not skimmed your posts. I do not understand the majority of what you are posting. As I am considered blind in one eye and do not see so well with the other eye, I frequently have a crying or nursing child hanging on me, I am currently tired and fighting getting my son's cold I have not put any effort into decripting your words.

IF you have a point to make that you actually feel is important why on earth don't you attempt to make it in plain English so we can all understand whatever your point is? The red word is a prime example. What on earth are you saying?

The lime highlighted Was there a point to that other than to say na na I am smarter than you are. I know words you don't.?
__________________

Last edited by qsefthuko; 03-29-2013 at 07:43 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #585
qsefthuko's Avatar
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 16,766
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
I sanctimoniously can no longer engage in the spontaneous conversation that eludes the cognitive faculties of a superlative amount of participators of this thread. it hinges on the geographical boundaries of incongruous, droll, and a mocking forethought. I regard as probable that this specific post will be detached into autonomous and individual phrases and debated with a vehement argumentation that will likely be regarded undoubtedly as anything but vehement or argumentative, and that is sufficiently acceptable with me. To all a superb nightfall!
Funny but it gave me a bit of a headache to read it.
__________________
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #586
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,818
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
IME minorities are more likely to take offense especially when a descriptor is being used to describe them.

Oh and just because it stuck out at me..your friends dad was always gay. It's not like *poof* "I'm gay!"...you probably just mistyped there so no biggie
Actually, according to what he told his son, he wasn't always gay.

I am not typing this to be offensive. It is just my lack of knowledge/experience with gay people. But this is why I don't really grasp the "I was born gay thing". Because of that guy, and also my good friend from high school, the bi sexual. She was bi sexual when I met her, freshman year. Said she knew so since she was a very little girl. She was bisexual all through high school. We lost touch for seven years afterwards, then when we found each other on Facebook she has been married (to a man) for five years, claims that she "had issues" in high school and is now entirely straight. I'm gathering from these types of threads this is not the average experience, but it's all I've ever known so it's hard for me to understand anything else.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #587
Hillargh
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,903
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post

Christians aren't a minority, although that is a hugely broad term. I'm not sure that conservatives aren't a minority, but whether they are or whether they are not, I can't see that it makes a difference.

I have met more than one gay person, yes. But most of them don't stay here long. Sad to say, but people here are probably ridiculously harsh to them. And I don't get out much, so that makes a difference too. I've heard rumor there's two gay kids in high school here now. And I know one of my friends dad is now gay and lives ten or so miles away, but I haven't met him.
You'd be surprised. When I was in school I knew 2 lesbians. That was the extent of my exposure. Yet if you went to an LGBTQID meeting, you would see literally hundreds. It's not that they don't exist, or last long, it's more so that they don't shoot off a gay bat signal in the night.

Ftr, I live in GA, in cow heaven, in a town where streets are named after the same families that have lived here for generations, with a very southern Baptist church on every corner.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 03-29-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #588
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,818
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Gsfthuko! You came back! Did you read the whole thing?
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #589
TalkinBoutMyGirl's Avatar
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 13,178
My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Actually, according to what he told his son, he wasn't always gay.

I am not typing this to be offensive. It is just my lack of knowledge/experience with gay people. But this is why I don't really grasp the "I was born gay thing". Because of that guy, and also my good friend from high school, the bi sexual. She was bi sexual when I met her, freshman year. Said she knew so since she was a very little girl. She was bisexual all through high school. We lost touch for seven years afterwards, then when we found each other on Facebook she has been married (to a man) for five years, claims that she "had issues" in high school and is now entirely straight. I'm gathering from these types of threads this is not the average experience, but it's all I've ever known so it's hard for me to understand anything else.
I'm acknowledging this post but I'm not really up to responding here cause I'll just get sucked in and I already swore I wasn't posting in this thread lol

But back to my original reason for posting..do you understand what I said about using particular descriptors for minorities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
You'd be surprised. When I was in school I knew 2 lesbians. That was the extent of my exposure. Yet if you went to an LGBTQID meeting, you would see literally hundreds. It's not that they don't exist, or last long, it's more so that they don't shoot off a gay bat signal in the night.

Ftr, I live in GA, in cow heaven, in a town where streets are named after the same families that have lived here for generations, with a very southern Baptist church on every corner.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
*turns gay bat signal off* Well now how is the pizza guy gonna find my apartment? I told him to follow my gay bat signal.
__________________
Anna - Gazelle intense with mywife Rachel and Hailey (6) our little
Swag with Me!
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #590
Hillargh
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,903
My Mood:
To be fair, some people genuinely just speak with a more advanced vocabulary. I've yet to see her use a word that was insanely rare, out of place, or in a way that would read (to me) as serving to make others feel less than.

The general tone comes across as condescending, but it doesn't read that way to me /because/ of her vocabulary.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.