Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #601
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
It's okay. Also, I lied. I'm getting in the shower. But I get FB messages shoved onto my phone so I can still respond.

Like that one just now. Don't call me names because you're deprived LOL!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
LOL The name calling was NOT via facebook. But you can repond to facebook while in the shower but not texts? lol

And people are going to take that "deprived" comment the wrong way lol I have a flashlight..is that close enough?

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #602
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
To be fair, some people genuinely just speak with a more advanced vocabulary. I've yet to see her use a word that was insanely rare, out of place, or in a way that would read (to me) as serving to make others feel less than.

The general tone comes across as condescending, but it doesn't read that way to me /because/ of her vocabulary.
Her vocabulary didn't bother me at all, like I said I'm married to someone who loves to use the biggest words he can when writing his English papers.

What bothered me was her assuming she knew anything about me based on one post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertina View Post
Argument from tradition. A logical fallacy. Citing something must be true because it has a history does not make it inherently true. It just means there's a long history of belief in X concept or idea.
Like this for instance, I never said it was true because it had a history, my point was about beliefs being accepted as "normal" because of history.

Quote:
This is setting up a false dichotomy. Who says there's only one (or a pantheon) supernatural being? This assumes there's only one of two choices, choosing your pantheon of deities or unbelief.

There are millions of Neopagans. What about their belief in their respective gods and goddesses? Ever stop to consider there are a multitude of deity concepts and ideas? There's just as much evidence for these deities as yours. None. Despite lacking evidence of the existence of all deities people still believe. Does mere belief constitute proof or evidence? In that case, then all deities conceived of and believed in must be true and real. Damn. That's a lot of "real" deities.
And this. I was not claiming that my God was the only true God or that my belief made him real.

Quote:
If Christian Susie "feels" the presence of El/Yahweh, Yeshua and Holy Spirit and Hindu Namrata "feels" Brahman or Shiva, which is feeling a "real" deity? And, how can that be determined if it's all subjective? Do you conclude Namrata is deluded or confused? Is she not really feeling Brahman or Shiva? But wait, belief in Brahman has been around way, way longer than belief in the Abrahamic pantheon. So, wouldn't her subjective experience count as better evidence?
Here she almost touches on what my post was even about. I could have used any example of people communing with their god of choice and it would have made no difference.

And then she ends with the assumption that she has just shot down all my arguments because she knows exactly what I believe and it's all silly.

Quote:
But it's only normal if it validates what you believe, right?
No, it's only normal if it falls under the ideas of normal religious beliefs, any religion, not Christianity. My post was never about the merits of Christianity over other religions, it was about the difference between what is socially acceptable "normal" religious belief and what is defined as delusions related to mental illness such as schizophrenia.

So my offence was not that she wanted to argue or to use big words but that she totally went off on a tangent about all religions being just as [in]valid as Christianity when that had nothing whatsoever to do with my response to Carrie.

Last edited by Leah52; 03-29-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Leah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #603
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post

LOL The name calling was NOT via facebook. But you can repond to facebook while in the shower but not texts? lol

And people are going to take that "deprived" comment the wrong way lol I have a flashlight..is that close enough?
Nono, I can't surf fb in the shower. But I get fb messages AS texts and can respond to those. I also smoke in the shower, and have been known to talk on the phone. I'm a weirdo.

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #604
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Nono, I can't surf fb in the shower. But I get fb messages AS texts and can respond to those. I also smoke in the shower, and have been known to talk on the phone. I'm a weirdo.

I...um...yeah I really have NO response for this. I already knew you were a weirdo but I can reaffirm (reconfirm? confirm again?) this for you. lol
Old 03-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #605
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Leah, that post wasn't aimed at you. It was mainly at people saying she uses big words to appear smart.

I know your issue. I've been arguing in favor of it for a bit now I agree that it was unnecessary.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #606
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Flashlights don't count.

That's the fun part, seeing how they take it. Ha. Nah, just picking on you.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #607
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

Are you my husband?! He does crazy stuff like smoke and talk on the phone in the shower too and I told him he was the only one weird enough to do it.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #608
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I've had whole conversations on the phone in the shower. My BFF didn't know till the end when I turned the water off...
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #609
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
and
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #610
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post

Are you my husband?! He does crazy stuff like smoke and talk on the phone in the shower too and I told him he was the only one weird enough to do it.
Hahaha! He is definitely not alone!