Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #791
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Quote:
Do you think she thought you meant anarchists? (I'd love to be mistaken for an anarchist. Sooooo much cooler than I can ever aspire to be ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
I cant quite but yo PP^^ they probably meant non rules as in religious rules. Like we'd all run around killing people if a thou shalt not wasn't ingrained in our heads. Which I find amusing.

Yes, she was definitely talking about religious rules. Her English was also broken, so she might have meant a more appropriate word like: Who don't follow religious customs, I cannot know for sure. I was just so shocked that she thought atheism is part of a nationality like Muslim is part of being a Palestinian. It is hard for us to remember but sometimes religion and and nationality is one and the same thing for people. I grew up in such a culture, all my schooling was Christian-nationalistic when I was growing up. The first time I heard of atheism it felt as foreign to me as it must feel to this woman.

However, what struck me as really interesting was the fact that she has lived in the US for 15 years already and she still was that naive. The only reason I can think of is that she has never had the need to explore outside her life-view (for the want of a better word).

Advertisement

Last edited by vatblack; 04-01-2013 at 07:32 PM.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #792
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Empathy I feel is the precursor to moral judgment; even if it's not necessary for moral judgment it may help the person's motivation to make the right choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
Ramble to say, I think empathy is a way to help in the process of grey situations. When things aren't black and white, it can give you that gut feeling as to if it's wrong or right, on top of other factors. It can also make you remove yourself from your bias and see it from another perspective. I think it's a great tool in a complex toolbox.
I agree totally; without it we wouldn't be able to make life threatening decision. This maybe harsh but with empathy, if we could've intercepted a plane like in 9/11 situation and knowing it would save thousands, empathy would play a role in deciding whether or not shooting down a plane with couple hundred to save the people in the building versus losing all would come down to making that call. Without empathy I don't think people would be able to decide nor have the actual motivation to act on it.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #793
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAki View Post
Empathy I feel is the precursor to moral judgment; even if it's not necessary for moral judgment it may help the person's motivation to make the right choice.

I agree totally; without it we wouldn't be able to make life threatening decision. This maybe harsh but with empathy, if we could've intercepted a plane like in 9/11 situation and knowing it would save thousands, empathy would play a role in deciding whether or not shooting down a plane with couple hundred to save the people in the building versus losing all would come down to making that call. Without empathy I don't think people would be able to decide nor have the actual motivation to act on it.
See, I actually feel that has more to do with logic & critical thinking (reasonable sacrifice) than with empathy...empathy would be if you were able to put yourself in the position of someone on the plane...or someone in the building, and say, " now know what it is to feel terrified." Empathy would demand that you save everyone, b/c you cannot stand the fear and pain that you know that they feel.

I really think we're overstating the role of empathy, while only having a very basic understanding of it; I think we may be misconstruing a sense of humanity with empathy.
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #794
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
See, I actually feel that has more to do with logic & critical thinking (reasonable sacrifice) than with empathy...empathy would be if you were able to put yourself in the position of someone on the plane...or someone in the building, and say, " now know what it is to feel terrified."
Maybe but would a person act on the situation without empathy? I guess there's the logical side of things including shooting down the plane would save the people but also the building. That probably wouldn't require any empathy but has a bit of selfish reasoning (at least the building part). It's that emotional trigger/response that forces people to make a moral judgement if not what he/she feels is the best choice.

I guess in a sense it may involve critical thinking. I don't know if I made any sense.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #795
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog View Post
Honestly, yes. I would assess the situation and decide from there. It would depend on various factors.

I certainly hope I am never in that position.

I will say it again. I don't value one life over another.
I think it is very natural to value one life over the other. If there are two children drowning and one is yours , which one do you save? I don't have to think about it my instints as a human animal would make me save my offspring. Thereis no doubt in my mind that 99 % on here would do the same. There is actualy a lot of disgusting natural behaviour in humans, that is why we established rules and laws to live by not because the human race is less brutal than other animals .
Old 04-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #796
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsmom View Post

I think it is very natural to value one life over the other. If there are two children drowning and one is yours , which one do you save? I don't have to think about it my instints as a human animal would make me save my offspring. Thereis no doubt in my mind that 99 % on here would do the same. There is actualy a lot of disgusting natural behaviour in humans, that is why we established rules and laws to live by not because the human race is less brutal than other animals .
Yes. This
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #797
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsmom View Post

Yes. This. I would also kill to protect myself and my family and even strangers depending on the situation. So yes I hold some life higher than others.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #798
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

For me it's like this:

Christians are commanded not to (for example) steal or commit adultery because it is a sin. For me it's empathy, you don't steal because you have the empathy to understand how stealing hurts. You don't sleep with your best friends husband because you know that would hurt everyone involved. No outside influence is necessary to tell right from wrong if you have empathy.

Be good for goodness sake is my motto (no threat of hell required )
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #799
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
For me it's like this:

Christians are commanded not to (for example) steal or commit adultery because it is a sin. For me it's empathy, you don't steal because you have the empathy to understand how stealing hurts. You don't sleep with your best friends husband because you know that would hurt everyone involved. No outside influence is necessary to tell right from wrong if you have empathy.

Be good for goodness sake is my motto (no threat of hell required )
This is not an accurate description of many Christians. Unfortunately, there are some who "follow the rules" out of fear of God/hell/etc. There are many more who act out of love, compassion, and empathy because that is what Jesus commanded us to do and that is the example He set. When your heart is filled with the love and peace that comes with a genuine faith, you naturally act with empathy.

The Bible specifically tells us not to be afraid. It also specifically tells us to treat others the way we wish to be treated, above all else.

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:36-40
Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #800
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASMama711 View Post
This is not an accurate description of many Christians. Unfortunately, there are some who "follow the rules" out of fear of God/hell/etc. There are many more who act out of love, compassion, and empathy because that is what Jesus commanded us to do and that is the example He set. When your heart is filled with the love and peace that comes with a genuine faith, you naturally act with empathy.

The Bible specifically tells us not to be afraid. It also specifically tells us to treat others the way we wish to be treated, above all else.

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:36-40
I don't mean to imply that Christian don't act with empathy. This is my response to those who ask that how without the Bible/God I know right from wrong (and also answering Carolyns question). Many many times I have been questioned on how I can have morals without Christianity.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote