Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24
A little background. My husband and when we got married had 1 boy and 1 girl name that we loved and everyone knew which names we would name our babies - Luke and Lauren. We had a boy a couple years ago so we named him Luke (Lucas). My DH's sister just had a baby today and they named the baby girl Lauren. My DH has only one sibling. We knew they liked the name Lauren but she (not her DH) assured us not to worry, they had plenty of other names they loved and wouldn't take her name... well... she had a scheduled C-Section today and my DH got a text that they named the baby Lauren. We serioulsy thought it was a joke. I know her DH said that he didn't care (this was a while back) what other people thought, he would name the baby what they wanted because everyone has a name "on reserve." We are really close with them. I know this is so incredibly petty, but we are so upset. I know that what's important is healthy baby. I know this. I know there much worse things in life. I know this. I haven't even had it in me to "like" the picture on facebook yet, and my DH hasn't either (he's more upset then I am). I do realize we may never have a girl.... probably we won't now! Anyway, if we do, we will still name our baby Lauren. Just had to vent. Anyone else had this happen?
I'm sorry. That really stinks! I would be mad but honestly, I would get over it pretty quick. She is your niece, just love her.

Advertisement

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
princessgirl409
Registered Users
seller

As much as I'd like to say it wouldn't bother me, it would. I would be really upset. You just don't do junk like that!
dd 4/09 dd 1/11
dd 12/13 (24 wks) expecting twins 1/15
princessgirl409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

Re: How mad would you be?

It wouldn't be a big deal for me. DH and I both have cousins who share names (within our respective families) it's never been weird or a problem.

If you did end up with a Luke and Lauren I bet you would get asked if you were a General Hospital fan A LOT (I realize she was Laura, but Lauren sounds *really* similar...)
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we dont generally discuss names before the birth much, but IMO people can na,e their children whatever they want and you should too. It doesn't bother me at all. There are now 3 Todds in my family (partially due to marriage). We have 4 Chris/Christine/Christinas in the family also. Life happens and I think it is okay for them to have the same name if you choose. Lauren is not an unpopular name so either way it would be very likely that she will have kids in class with the same name anyway.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would be annoyed but I would just use the name if I liked it.

From their perspective, it would suck not to be able to use a name they love because you might use it in your not yet conceived female child. I mean what if you have all boys or an only child, then they don't use a name they like and neither do you.

IN the future I would keep any names you like a secret until the birth. I like that approach anyway because I don't like other people's input on baby names

We were on the other side of a situation similar to this with our fourth child. My Husbands brother always wanted to name a boy of theirs George. Then they had two girls and weren't sure if they were done having kids or not. My husband wanted to use the name George for our fourth ( it was their grandfathers name) , we did talk to them first just to be polite. They have since decided not to have any more kids, so even though they "called" the name it wouldn't have been used if we hadn't named our child George.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

This was a story in my family, my grandma could NEVER let it go. She and her sister were pregnant at the same time. My grandma had the name Sharon picked for a girl and some other name for a boy (I don't remember, not important LOL). She was sure she was having a girl and was making all kinds of stuff, embroidering names on pillows and what not. Her sister delivered a month before my grandma and named her daughter Sharon. Grandma was LIVID.... obvioulsy, she was literally talking about it the day she died. She named her daughter Sharon anyways and fought with her sister forever over it. Her sister was mad she took the name when she had already used it. Grandma was ticked because it was her name to start with. It was a huge debacle.
I would not name my child that, not if it will be a constant reminder and the kids will be together a lot. It's one thing to have a kid in your class be named the same thing, it's different to have a close family member.
I would be livid though.
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #17
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You all have made me feel better. Thank you.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Wouldn't bother me at all.

No one owns a name. You don't have a daughter and may never have one. It's just life. And Lauren is a pretty popular name for many years now.

And exactly why we don't share names with anyone until the birth anymore. People have way too much input on what people name their kids these days.

If you love it enough and have a daughter, use it. But there are many many many names out there that you may just love even more.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would be mad too, especially since they basically did it once already. But I agree, if you have a girl and want to name her Lauren, go for it! Too bad for them.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #20
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I still keep coming back to the fact that they had several names they loved and the fact that they promised us they wouldn't name the baby Lauren. Oh well.