Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #21
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How mad would you be?

Honestly, I'd be pretty ticked. I know it's not life or death or worth the energy to be mad, but I'd be seriously ticked. And even moreso if they did it TWICE!!! Sorry that happened to you!

Seriously, who does that? I know names aren't common property, but they knowingly "stole" two of your favorites.

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would be bothered by their lack of consideration more than anything. But really, I'm always amazed when people have the balls to do that. I know my sister adores a couple of baby names. Since there are a million other names out there, its pretty easy to just PICK A DIFFERENT NAME. I wouldn't name my kid something she has her heart set on it just because I can.

If I were you I would probably always be irritated but I would try not to let it ruin family harmony.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #23
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
I still keep coming back to the fact that they had several names they loved and the fact that they promised us they wouldn't name the baby Lauren. Oh well.
This part would absolutely irk me. Of course you don't "own the name", but they shouldn't have said they wouldn't use it if they didn't have any intention of following through with that promise. It just doesn't sit well with me.

And of course you can still use the name, but it's not the same. I'd be upset, too.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #24
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't see what the big deal. Celebrate the fact they had a healthy child. Get over it that she happens to have a name that you liked as well. No one owns a name. Don't waste your time being mad about it. There's so many other things you could use your time for then being mad about a name.
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #25
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
Honestly, I'd be pretty ticked. I know it's not life or death or worth the energy to be mad, but I'd be seriously ticked. And even moreso if they did it TWICE!!! Sorry that happened to you!

Seriously, who does that? I know names aren't common property, but they knowingly "stole" two of your favorites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira View Post
I would be bothered by their lack of consideration more than anything. But really, I'm always amazed when people have the balls to do that. I know my sister adores a couple of baby names. Since there are a million other names out there, its pretty easy to just PICK A DIFFERENT NAME. I wouldn't name my kid something she has her heart set on it just because I can.

If I were you I would probably always be irritated but I would try not to let it ruin family harmony.
Both of these. It would seriously tick me off if someone we knew used a baby name, especially two that were near and dear to us. DH actually just asked me last night if we should tell BIL and his girlfriend what were naming our lo so that they don't name there's the same and I had to explain to him the risks of doing that.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #26
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
I still keep coming back to the fact that they had several names they loved and the fact that they promised us they wouldn't name the baby Lauren. Oh well.
I'm so sorry. That is rude esp since they did it before too. I had my name taken by my cousin but then my brother used it too because he said he didn't care. I picked Hunter way back in the 80's. That show was my fave plus my daddy is an avid hunter and my then BF loved it too. But we waited until we were married to have kids so my cuz scooped us.

Ann, if they have more kids before you, pick some cruddy name that you just "love" so then when they use that too you can giggle a bit from this whole ordeal. You probably always will be a bit upset about it. My cousin's son is 15 & it still irks me.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #27
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotmywings View Post
I don't see what the big deal. Celebrate the fact they had a healthy child. Get over it that she happens to have a name that you liked as well. No one owns a name. Don't waste your time being mad about it. There's so many other things you could use your time for then being mad about a name.
The voice of reason. Well said.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #28
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

Imitation is the best form of flattery, right? Would that saying apply here?

My grandmother loved the name Janet. She got asked to pick her sister's name and chose Janet and years later still loved the name so much she named her first born, my mother, Janet as well!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #29
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Honestly, this would upset me too. I really do get it.

But at the end of the day, everyone gets to choose the name(s) they love. I would never not use a name for a living child because someone "called" it for one thy weren't even pregnant with, much less gave birth to. Can you just imagine if that was THE name for them, but you never had another child, much less a girl, or if you changed your mind about the name (it happens, a lot).
Old 03-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #30
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

And I do not agree that there are a million names, "just pick another." Some people really FEEL a certain name is just the perfect name. I felt that way with DS1's name. We would never have picked another name and I wouldn't have changed it just because someone else named their kid that too.